Home

Team Builder: A lawsuit waiting to happen?

This is a discussion on Team Builder: A lawsuit waiting to happen? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-01-2009, 08:32 PM   #17
Hall Of Fame

p_rushing's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: Team Builder: A lawsuit waiting to happen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTheorenHobbes
What's going to happen when someone creates the real WV Mountaineers' roster and EA hosts it? If EA is marketing this feature and selling the game for a HUGE profit, some 2nd or 3rd string player is probably going to try to cash in. The recent spate of lawsuits shows that to be true.

Like I said, enjoy it while you can.
That's what I said. EA will be told to cease and desist, if they don't remove it, the lawsuit will be filed. EA isn't the one putting up the images though, so they will be given leeway as long as they are doing something reasonable to stop copyright infringement.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:50 PM   #18
MVP

thelasthurtknee's Arena

OVR: 12

after reading this im pretty scared. my Chuck Norris gamer tag hosted by xbox could get them in real trouble with the law. and chuck might want to beat me up. come to think about it i created Fedor on UFC and its hosted on ufc server. he' way tougher than Norris. what about the Brett Farve character i created on NCAA last year? that will haunt me down the road. that paint job on my Ferrari on Forza wasnt a factory color. that worries me big time. thanks ea! now if i create a real team i might get sued. thanks alot.

hey GTheorenHobbes are you friends with rudy carpenter?
Old 06-01-2009, 08:55 PM   #19
Rookie

ZRob72's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTheorenHobbes
Exactly.

Someone didn't think this the whole way through. At the least, someone greenlighted this feature BEFORE the latest lawsuit was filed against the NCAA and EA.

And for the record, EA's lawyers can lose just as easily as anyone elses. Ask the NFLPA (following the $28 million judgment against it) how much it means to have the best lawyers money can buy.
That was their own stupid fault (NFLPA) for making a deal with the dEAvil.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:47 PM   #20
Darkness!!!

DirtyJerz32's Arena

OVR: 41

I think they probably thought about that. Why does everyone think EA is that stupid?

Twitch: DirtyJerz32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluengold34_OS
No longer shall you be referred to as DirtyJerz32, but simply BOSS -
Old 06-01-2009, 09:56 PM   #21
Rookie

OVR: 6

Forza didn't get in trouble for this.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-01-2009, 09:57 PM   #22
Banned

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyJerz32

I think they probably thought about that. Why does everyone think EA is that stupid?
Remember, this feature would've been greenlit sometime last year...probably in June or July, well before the retired NFL players won $28M against the NFLPA, and also well before Keller filed his suit against EA and the NCAA. The decision was made in a different environment.

Does anyone think that if BackBreaker released with a tool like Team Builder that EA, the NCAA and the NFL wouldn't come calling with a lawsuit trying to stop the game from being released?

Why should EA pay the NFL anything for the license, when all they've got to do is let us gamers make the teams and rosters? Trust me, if BackBreaker releases with this kind've tool, EA isn't going to stand around and do nothing.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:00 PM   #23
Banned

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGA14
Forza didn't get in trouble for this.
Why then should EA pay the NFL anything for its license? From the looks of the uniforms that people have already created today, we can do just as good a job at creating these teams as EA does.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:04 PM   #24
Rookie

OVR: 6

So many games have had this type of feature. Specifically anything on the PC. NASCAR games by Papyrus had paintbooths where you could put whatever you wanted on your car, EA had the same thing for painting cars in their NASCAR game last year. Nobody was sued for that.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »