Home

Team Builder: A lawsuit waiting to happen?

This is a discussion on Team Builder: A lawsuit waiting to happen? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-01-2009, 10:06 PM   #25
MVP

RaiderKtulu's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: Team Builder: A lawsuit waiting to happen?

Who cares? Let us have fun with it now and if the NFL decides to be a bunch of whiny babies and sue EA over it, then we can discuss lawsuits.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-01-2009, 10:20 PM   #26
MVP

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTheorenHobbes
Why then should EA pay the NFL anything for its license? From the looks of the uniforms that people have already created today, we can do just as good a job at creating these teams as EA does.
If one wanted to over-analyze this thing, they could take the new mix and match functions in Madden (and NCAA), plus the team builder function in NCAA and make a conclusion that EA is gearing up for some worst-case scenario event to take place in the future...

Anyway, it's rather tough to sue the manufacturer for what the end user... well at least sue successfully anyway. They aren't going to get any heat from the NCAA or the NFL for this because they are hand-in-hand partners. They may have concerns from other organizations where an end user created something that resembles an actual property, though. EA hosting THAT would at least open up a possibility, but I don't see this becoming a huge deal.

There have been other games allowing heavy customization (Forza, All-Pro Football, Maximum Football) and there have been no legal issues arising publicly that I'm aware of.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:45 PM   #27
Banned

OVR: 25
Location: Far far away from the vultures and snakes that reside in the united states.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelasthurtknee
after reading this im pretty scared. my Chuck Norris gamer tag hosted by xbox could get them in real trouble with the law. and chuck might want to beat me up. come to think about it i created Fedor on UFC and its hosted on ufc server. he' way tougher than Norris. what about the Brett Farve character i created on NCAA last year? that will haunt me down the road. that paint job on my Ferrari on Forza wasnt a factory color. that worries me big time. thanks ea! now if i create a real team i might get sued. thanks alot.

hey GTheorenHobbes are you friends with rudy carpenter?
GTTheorenHobbes, you just got shutdown with this one man.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:47 PM   #28
Banned

OVR: 25
Location: Far far away from the vultures and snakes that reside in the united states.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher
If one wanted to over-analyze this thing, they could take the new mix and match functions in Madden (and NCAA), plus the team builder function in NCAA and make a conclusion that EA is gearing up for some worst-case scenario event to take place in the future...

Anyway, it's rather tough to sue the manufacturer for what the end user... well at least sue successfully anyway. They aren't going to get any heat from the NCAA or the NFL for this because they are hand-in-hand partners. They may have concerns from other organizations where an end user created something that resembles an actual property, though. EA hosting THAT would at least open up a possibility, but I don't see this becoming a huge deal.

There have been other games allowing heavy customization (Forza, All-Pro Football, Maximum Football) and there have been no legal issues arising publicly that I'm aware of.
They're killin you man. Nobodies about to get sued. Well, I shouldnt say that, someone can try, but it'll probably get shutdown, kinda like whats happening with this thread, lol.
Old 06-01-2009, 11:00 PM   #29
Banned

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher
Actually, the customization in All-Pro Football wasn't all that extensive. You could get close, but not anywhere near the level that NCAA's Team Builder allows. I know...I tried to create authentic Steeler uniforms but couldn't get it. Another difference: 2k didn't host a website where users could create EXACT replicas of NFL uniforms and then share 'em with other users, like EA's doing here. Presumably, 2k didn't do it because they were afraid of the legal risks. Madden isn't doing it this year, presumably on account of the same legal risks. If Back Breaker tries it, EA and the NFL will have a hard time arguing to shut 'em down, if they're doing the same thing with their NCAA game. I think it will be interesting to see how this all turns out.
Old 06-02-2009, 01:22 AM   #30
Rookie

OVR: 1

Here's where the possible lawsuit could happen...say you create a great alternate uniform with a logo you create.

Then the next year, the school actually wears those uniforms or changes their logo to the one YOU designed...are you not gonna say they copied YOUR idea? Are you not gonna sue to get what is rightfully yours?

The Ravens had that issue years back when they started up and were sued by someone who said they created the logo they eventually used. Who is to say it couldn't happen again?
Old 06-02-2009, 05:33 AM   #31
MVP

berad88's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTheorenHobbes
I just checked out the team builder website and think EA did a great job with it. But the lawyer in me thinks it's a lawsuit waiting to happen. It will be interesting to see how long it takes for the first lawsuit to be filed. There's some money to be made there for a good plaintiff's attorney, IMHO.

If EA was creating actual teams that are not in the NCAA (like your high school) and they were charging you money for them then they could be sued. Since you can create your own teams for free there is no crime..
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-02-2009, 06:41 AM   #32
All Star

OVR: 33

Some guys in their mom's basement think they have better legal knowledge than lawyers of the biggest gaming multinational corporation.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »