Home

Slant routes

This is a discussion on Slant routes within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-24-2009, 09:56 AM   #25
Rookie

OVR: 5
Re: Slant routes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueblood53
I hope you feel better.

Nobody insulted your intelligence. Everybody is just nitpicking, this isn't the first time they've worked easily is all I'm saying. You don't know how many football games I've played, so you can't make that statement. As a matter of fact, I've been playing NCAA since I was 6 years old.

Then when we have the roster mess along sliders not working, fixing slants is one of the very least things that you should be worried about.
As someone who plays this game competitively, slant routes are at least as important as rosters for me, and more important than sliders (which can't be used in online games).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-24-2009, 10:59 AM   #26
Rookie

prototype561's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportyguyfl31
The problem with the slants is pretty simple. Unless I'm missing something, there's no option to shade your coverage.

Look at how the CBS are aligned.

If you are not playing man press, the CB is aligned on the WRs outside shoulder, giving up the inside off the jump. There's no option to shade him on his inside shoulder, or play him chest to chest.
Thats exactly what i said, they should bring back the ability to shade the corners. Rarely will a corner play outside technique on a receiver in man, they will play inside or headup never outside,the reason coaches tell them this is so the cb can use the sideline as another defender. The only time the cb should be in an outside technique is in cover 2, or if they defense calls for him to play curl to flat zone, forcing the wr to get an inside release so the linebacker or safety can pick him up.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:27 AM   #27
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

bump at the line...have LB's play zone...tell the DL to get the hands up. Thats how I stop the slant routes.

If a team is running slants on me..I typically put one of the LB's in QB Spy...that way they stay at home to help defend against the slant and will follow the ball if its a run.

Heck, I've even dropped a DT back into zone coverage to defend the slant.

Not sure there really is an issue outside of making sure you call the correct defense to stop the route.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals

Last edited by countryboy; 06-24-2009 at 11:30 AM.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:31 PM   #28
Pro

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrhammer
Also, Russ, do you guys figure in the height at which the ball comes out of the QB's hand and also the trajectory? There are way too many line drives that hit the OL in the back and there are also too many passes the LB's are able to snag. Also, even on intermediate passes there is hardly any chance of putting air underneath them to get it over those LB's. We need more responsiveness on passes. Again, just a thought.
That problem would be fixed if the speed of the ball was slowed to a realistic speed. Most strong armes NFL QBs throw around 60 and some up to 70 mph (I've heard Favre could throw 74 in his prime, but that might have been an exaggeration). That would probably mean that most NCAA QBs would throw in the 50-65 mph range.

I'm not sure, but I'd guess that the QBs in the game are closer to 80 mph (I think Ian said last year's Madden was at 79 mph or so for a 100 thp), which makes the trajectory way too low (no touch on passes). Combined with the way that the O-line doesn't seem to even try to keep the D-linemen's hands down, this is going to mean a ton of tipped passes as the LOS.

As far as the pass speeds and stuff, I've always wondered if air resistance was incorporated into the game? I'm sure it is, but if it wasn't that would make the passes seem a lot faster than they really were too.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:44 PM   #29
MVP

capp34's Arena

OVR: 16

To me it seems like the OP wants the ''game'' to stop the slants instead of him as a ''human'' adjusting and stopping them himself with proper playcalling and strategy.

Kings of the Kourt Commissioner

KOTK Discord - https://discord.gg/Swj5cJe
Old 06-24-2009, 01:16 PM   #30
Rookie

coachchris's Arena

OVR: 6

Perhaps the OP can tell us when he thinks a slant route should be successful? This is not sarcasm I would like to know.

It would be great if we could shade our corners and something that is needed back in the game.

If the point is that a great corner should be able to play 3-4 yards off and jump slant routes this does happen but that corner needs to be extremely aggressive. Also for the sake of realism if you want that corner to be aggressive and jump slants then my sluggo better be wide open because that is what happens in real life. IMO
Old 06-24-2009, 01:26 PM   #31
Pro

rhombic21's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
bump at the line...have LB's play zone...tell the DL to get the hands up. Thats how I stop the slant routes.

If a team is running slants on me..I typically put one of the LB's in QB Spy...that way they stay at home to help defend against the slant and will follow the ball if its a run.

Heck, I've even dropped a DT back into zone coverage to defend the slant.

Not sure there really is an issue outside of making sure you call the correct defense to stop the route.
You can't put the LBs in zone if your CBs are in man without having huge holes in your defense. It would stop the slant, but be too vulnerable to other routes to be an effective defense.

As others have stated, the main problem is that the game needs to having the ability to shade a CB to the inside or outside.

The problem with having slants be money against man coverage is that it severely limits certain kinds of defenses. Most man to man defenses, particularly those that involve a blitz, have the CBs shaded to the inside to try and prevent quick slants. The idea is that if you give up the outside, that throw is further, and thus makes it harder for the QB to get the ball to the WR before the CB has a chance to recover and break it up. Plus you have the sideline as an extra defender.

If you essentially have to play zone just to stop the slants, then it opens up other things, like the running game, and that's not necessarily realistic. The issue isn't that man coverage should necessarily shut down slants, but rather that you should have the ability to tell your defender to take away the slant and force the offense to throw something else. Otherwise, it's just too easy for people to read man/zone prior to the snap, and then just hot route to a slant anytime that they see man coverage, and know that the guy will be open unless an extra defender drops into a zone or spy.

Even if they're not going to add in a command to shade the CBs, they ought to at least make the adaptive AI such that after one or two slants get completed, the AI defender will jump the route and force the offense to throw something else. As it is, you can basically go all the way down the field throwing slant after slant, and the CB in man coverage will never play the route any differently.

Last edited by rhombic21; 06-24-2009 at 01:32 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-24-2009, 01:48 PM   #32
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhombic21
You can't put the LBs in zone if your CBs are in man without having huge holes in your defense. It would stop the slant, but be too vulnerable to other routes to be an effective defense.
I meant playing zone coverage where the LB's are in zone. If its man coverage, I'll have an LB play QB spy so that he stays "home" and helps defend against the slant. Been doing it often in the demo to see if it works and it has been successful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhombic21
As others have stated, the main problem is that the game needs to having the ability to shade a CB to the inside or outside.
I agree, but you can "mimmick" this by moving your corners a step or two towards the inside and press, before the QB snaps the ball. Not ideal I know, but its better than have them play straight up.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »