Home

New Idea for EA to help with future roster issues (long)

This is a discussion on New Idea for EA to help with future roster issues (long) within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-26-2009, 12:12 AM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: New Idea for EA to help with future roster issues (long)

sorry for my comment then
Old 06-26-2009, 12:26 AM   #10
Rookie

icmOU72's Arena

OVR: 4

WK sorry i didnt mean to seem like i was attacking you. I just know how these dang threads can turn into a dev team bashathon. so no worries just wanted to stop it before it started.
Old 06-26-2009, 06:11 AM   #11
MVP

OVR: 9

its an idea, but im not sure ea is going to devote more money to rosters than they currently do. the problem with the old roster guy is he would stick with a template and seemingly adjust that template year to year. so if a mistake was made for a player as a freshman then some of those same mistakes would likely get repeated unless the player was on a top 10 team or an all american.

specifically for my usc gamecocks, there was a 4 star wr who came into the game with lowest str out of all the team's wr's despite him being the strongest and best blocker. he started the last 6 games of his freshman season with good stats yet the following season on the game he still had the lowest str and was the worst blocker. another 5 star ath who was gonna play wr as a freshman but he played mostly defense in high school. he came into the game with zero defensive attributes, he barely played as a freshman, but before spring was moved to safety and secured a starting spot by the end of spring practice. when the game came out he was still a wr and still no defensive attributes.

these were the kinda things that im hoping are in the past with the new roster guy, and the way one of the devs spoke him up made me confident. i think the most important thing for ratings in the future is they spread out the ratings a la how madden is doing for 2010. then its focusing eliminating obvious bias and making rosters fair. its subjective so theres always going to be things to complain about but firstly getting rosters right within a team relative to their strengths and weaknesses then making sure you dont have backups on good teams better than all conference players on bad teams. the rosters are obviously a more daunting task on ncaa than they are on madden because there are more players and more obscure players, but if the way they did things in the past transferred over to madden then the steelers would have backups better than the pro bowlers on non playoff teams.

specifically to your points, im not sure they even have to pay scouts. if the guy is as great as he's touted then maybe he doesnt need the help, but they could go on sites or reach out to people who arent on the payroll who probably would still help for general information. the best they can hope for are general responses from everyone that the rosters are good but could be better. thats when the rosters will be as good as they can be.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-26-2009, 08:55 AM   #12
MVP

acts238shaun's Arena

OVR: 25

I have a feeling that the roster guy did a great job and that someone simply loaded the wrong file.
Old 06-26-2009, 09:52 AM   #13
MVP

jdrhammer's Arena

OVR: 19

I know Adam said they tone the initial rosters down speed-wise to keep guys from cheesing-out online but its kind of a drag when most of your WR's have 90 spd and in the first year of recruiting you can sign 4 WR's with 95+ spd. I say make them all fast like they should be and have the generated recruits match suit. This may piss some folks off but UF has serious spd. Most of their WR's and RB's should be 94+. They're that fast. There are way too many SEC CB's on this game who have 90 and 91 spd. IRL they would be 93-94 at worst and then the first year of a dynasty or OD they'll get replaced by faster players.

I know we can edit rosters but to have to go back and edit spd for every player on the game will be a bitch. Unless they toned down generated players' spd, this will be a problem again.
Old 06-26-2009, 12:17 PM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrhammer
I know Adam said they tone the initial rosters down speed-wise to keep guys from cheesing-out online but its kind of a drag when most of your WR's have 90 spd and in the first year of recruiting you can sign 4 WR's with 95+ spd. I say make them all fast like they should be and have the generated recruits match suit. This may piss some folks off but UF has serious spd. Most of their WR's and RB's should be 94+. They're that fast. There are way too many SEC CB's on this game who have 90 and 91 spd. IRL they would be 93-94 at worst and then the first year of a dynasty or OD they'll get replaced by faster players.

I know we can edit rosters but to have to go back and edit spd for every player on the game will be a bitch. Unless they toned down generated players' spd, this will be a problem again.

What about when you play online all teams/players are equal, that would make everyone playing have to use there football skills to win a game, would that stop the cheese. If everyone was equal noone could exploit a weak team verses a strong team and then everyone wouldnt be picking Florida for there team. You would have to use your smarts to win.
Old 06-26-2009, 01:07 PM   #15
Rookie

Fluffhead's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLittleBabies
Those are fine ideas, but there is no way EA is going to make room in their budget for a whole team of employees dedicated to rosters that aren't even technically supposed to represent real players, for a game that sells around one third as many copies as Madden or FIFA. Making perfect rosters isn't going to increase sales my much if any, nor will it effect the game's review scores, so EA has no incentive to spend money on making great rosters when average ones will do.
This guy gets it. How or why does EA, who is in a lawsuit defending themselves against using NCAA player likenesses, dedicate even more resources to making rosters accurate? They're already walking a very fine line as it is, and to get to a player detail level like a Madden or FIFA, would put them in a position for even more lawsuits.

Roster accuracy is an extremely inexact science anyway, at least ratings wise. I'm always amazed at the uproar at some abitrary OVR # that is perceived as being way off.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-26-2009, 01:18 PM   #16
Banned

peteykirch's Arena

OVR: 19

I'm not so much upset over overall ratings, more or less players that should or shouldn't be a on teams roster...There is no reason for players who haven't suited up for two years to still be on the roster after they given up football.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »