Home

"SIM"

This is a discussion on "SIM" within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-19-2009, 03:45 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
"SIM"

I keep reading about threads talking about a "SIM" football game. Can someone explain what that means. I mean break it down into detail. I need dummy terms to understand this. If anyone can help me it would be much appreciated.

Check out my stupid blog!!! http://sleepydwarf7.blogspot.com/
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-19-2009, 05:34 AM   #2
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43
Re: "SIM"

Within the Madden community (of which the NCAA community is a subset), there are several sort of "neighborhoods"... groups of folks who play essentially the same way. You have the tournament crowd, the freestyle crowd, and the sim crowd.

The tournament crowd is just that... they play in live tournaments. They tend to dislike the freestyle crowd even though they play about the same way. Freestyle is mostly at home online players who play the game to win, damn "sim" football.

The sim community is almost as arrogant as the tournament crowd, but far more articulate. Where as most tourny players are borderline incomprehensible due to their belief that, despite all evidence to the contrary, they are indeed Trick Daddy with Stick Skills (or Skillz, as they are want to say).

The sim community play their games "straight", or as cheese free as possible. Cheese is the primary attribute of the Freestyle or Tournament crowd. They will gleefully perform rocket catches and taunt you for not being "good enough" to stop something that's literally unstoppable due to the way the game works.

Sim players generally agree on an even playing field. Glitch plays are not permitted, you call as an NFL/NCAA coach would call (more leeway in NCAA, clearly). You don't go for it on 4th down every time, you don't run the same damn sweep every play, you mix it up, approach the game with a coaches mentality, looking to emulate, or simulate real life football as closely as possible.

For the record, The tourny and freestyle crowds generally look at sim players as unskilled, thus the need for agreed upon ground rules, while sim players see tourny and freestylers as unskilled, thus the need for cheese.

There is another group, despised by all of the above; glitchers. Rocket catch is one thing, and most sim style players can play some freestyle if given motivation too, but QB Walk and WR Direct Snap type glitches are considered BS by all legit Madden communities and such players would be hung and flayed if we knew where they lived.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.

Last edited by adembroski; 07-19-2009 at 05:37 AM.
Old 07-19-2009, 10:14 AM   #3
Pro

parrothead's Arena

OVR: 9

Would you agree, that "sim" players tend to be more offline franchise players? I mean we do sliders, depth charts, drafts, control all teams, and other somewhat tedious tasks that the average crowd wouldn't even consider.
Old 07-19-2009, 11:13 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 4

Spot on, adembroski. Couldn't have explained it better.
Old 07-19-2009, 06:50 PM   #5
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrothead
Would you agree, that "sim" players tend to be more offline franchise players? I mean we do sliders, depth charts, drafts, control all teams, and other somewhat tedious tasks that the average crowd wouldn't even consider.
I would agree that the majority of sim players play a majority of their games offline, and most are franchise players, but LBzrule and Dave (two Madden CD reps) are both very sim and play exclusively single games online.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »