Home

Running the ball, screens, highlight stick, stiff arm, etc

This is a discussion on Running the ball, screens, highlight stick, stiff arm, etc within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-21-2009, 09:29 PM   #25
Pro

OVR: 19
Re: Running the ball, screens, highlight stick, stiff arm, etc

So far I like this better than 09. The gameplay is improved, moving in more of a sim direction. As far as the running game goes I like to flip the play in the play calling screen. I also look to see where a "starred" stud DT is lined up. If he's over my right guard and I have called a run play to the right, I just audible a change of direction for that play and run over the left side instead. Toss plays have worked better but they have to be used at the right time and not overdone. Option seems better, but a dropped option is NOT an incompletion. Hope that is fixed in the next patch.
Screens aren't a money play anymore. A part of my problem is I haven't gotten the timing down, but the pass rush gets to the QB before the blocking is set up. The WR screens are a little too close to the linemen. I'd rather throw a wide screen closer to the sideline and let my WR try to juke the CB. As is, you call WR Screen and the WR goes too far towards the center of the field and gets caught in an avalanche of D-Linemen and LB. You are better off spinning outside to the sideline, but the WR is programmed to go towards the hash. At that point, you are at the mercy of your own O-Line to avoid this WR Screen from turning into a loss.

I love the goofy plays out of the Wildcat/Wild Duck (Oregon, obviously). Those are probably the best screens, reverses, trickeration, and end arounds in the game.

Other posters tell you not to touch the turbo so your blocking doesn't break down, and that running out of the shotgun is tougher. I agree with them.

In one way I feel this is 09.5, but still I like it, and think it's worth the $$$.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-21-2009, 11:02 PM   #26
Rookie

OVR: 0

Using player lock on the screen receiver is a big help. On WR screens, sometimes the WR stays too far outside and doesn't use his blocks. Sometime the halfback outruns his blockers to the sideline. If you use player lock, you can slow the receiver down or readjust their positioning in relation to the blockers before the throw. Try in pactice mode. Sometimes the QB will try to lead you by 5 yards because you just tapped the stick for a split second, so adjust quickly. Try setting up your blockers before the throw. I'm getting better results with this than just letting the CPU position the receiver. Had Jacquizz Rodgers go for a 54 yd TD on a HB slip screen out of the shotgun.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:46 PM   #27
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49

Another "fix" I found was to lower cpu tackling to 35. This way you can break a tackle if need be in the backfield. Don't worry though even at 35, you not going to break more then 2 tackles before you are swarmed upon by the entire secondary it seems.

Over all running is more realistic now to me. I can finally run to the outside and get 4 or 6 yards on a toss or stretch play. And every now and then break a 30 or 45 yard run. Which is the way it should be.

On default sliders my longest run was only 12 yards. Now my longest was 54 yards. Now only if EA can make the stiff arm and highlight stick WORK, this game would be great. As of now, those 2 moves are useless in this game because they don't work at all.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »