Home

Messed up poll logic

This is a discussion on Messed up poll logic within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-19-2009, 03:13 PM   #1
Banned

stevedrumsdw's Arena

OVR: 20
Messed up poll logic

Talk about some messed up poll logic look at this.

Boise Sate ranked # 1 in my dynasty at 5-0

Look at their wins: Not a single one of these of these teams is currently ranked in the top 25. This element of the game is FUBAR

Wyoming
Utah
BGSU
LTU
FS

A # 1 ranking for that no freaking way!!!!

meanwhile: FSU is 6-0 with a win at OU they are ranked 8th LOL, Kansas State is 5-0 with 3 wins in the top 25 and they are ranked 14th ?wtf?

Last edited by stevedrumsdw; 08-19-2009 at 03:17 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-19-2009, 03:24 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 37
Re: Messed up poll logic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedrumsdw

Look at their wins: Not a single one of these of these teams is currently ranked in the top 25. This element of the game is FUBAR

Wyoming
Utah
BGSU
LTU
FS

meanwhile: FSU is 6-0 with a win at OU they are ranked 8th LOL, Kansas State is 5-0 with 3 wins in the top 25 and they are ranked 14th ?wtf?
No offense to Boise St as they have a quality football programme and from what I have heard it's a pretty darn good school. But that being said, what is with the lovefest that Tiburon has with Boise??? I mean every single year (NCAA 07-10) Boise is a Nat Championship contender every single season of dynasty. I don't get it... they play in a non-BCS conference and often have a cupcake conference schedule? I am curious how the cpu weights wins versus competition in the poll rankings?
Old 08-19-2009, 03:45 PM   #3
Midtable shrug

NoDakHusker's Arena

OVR: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYMO76
No offense to Boise St as they have a quality football programme and from what I have heard it's a pretty darn good school. But that being said, what is with the lovefest that Tiburon has with Boise??? I mean every single year (NCAA 07-10) Boise is a Nat Championship contender every single season of dynasty. I don't get it... they play in a non-BCS conference and often have a cupcake conference schedule? I am curious how the cpu weights wins versus competition in the poll rankings?
hmmm...in the first year of my dynasty Boise lost 3 games and got no credit in the poll. Second year they won all but 1 game and were ranked only 23rd. I know what you're saying, though, because in previous years Boise has been overrated.
That said, in the second year of my dynasty TCU went undefeated(something no other team did) were ranked #1 and won the National Title.
Thing is, they beat one respectable team , that being Utah. All their other wins were against nobodies.
But other than that, I haven't had crazy poll screw ups. It's been pretty good for me.
Old 08-19-2009, 04:50 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndhusker90
hmmm...in the first year of my dynasty Boise lost 3 games and got no credit in the poll. Second year they won all but 1 game and were ranked only 23rd. I know what you're saying, though, because in previous years Boise has been overrated.
That said, in the second year of my dynasty TCU went undefeated(something no other team did) were ranked #1 and won the National Title.
Thing is, they beat one respectable team , that being Utah. All their other wins were against nobodies.
But other than that, I haven't had crazy poll screw ups. It's been pretty good for me.
I will say that this year seems better as I have seen less non-BCS schools competing for the BCS title BUT I have noticed that there are a lot of AT LARGE schools in the BCS bowl series. I'm okay with that as it happens but I find that schedule strength does not seem to play an important role in poll logic. In my last season that I played NCAA, Bowling Green was ranked 16th in the coaches and 14th or 15th in the media. They were something like 10-2 but they didn't play one top 25 team OR one BCS division team. A team like that should NOT be ranked.

Interesting observations in my dynasty thus far: (season 4)

*Florida had FIVE losses last season and was out of the top 25
*Boise, TCU, Utah and BYU were all in the top 10
*Georgia has not finished in the top 25 in my dynasty thus far
*Miami won the BCS in year 2 and in the preseason polls they are
now ranked in the 70's (season 5). Weird!!!
*WEIRD: I moved Idaho to the Sun Belt and replaced them in
the WAC with my teambuilder team. Idaho has won the Sun
Belt the last three years
*Ohio St has lost 11 games in four seasons
*the best winning record in 4 years goes to Oklahoma St
Old 08-19-2009, 05:16 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 4

I think the ratings have been realistic. You might have a non bcs team in the top 10 but that team varies each year. FIU finished 4th last year in my dynasty. The next year I beat them and put them in their proper place.

Also teams that are good now, don't necessarily stay good. Look what happen to teams like Nebraska, norte dame, and miami.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-19-2009, 05:40 PM   #6
Rookie

Vaporub83's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedrumsdw

Wyoming
Utah
BGSU
LTU
FS

Early on the rankings are based on where they started the season. If Boise was already top 10 and the other teams weren't then yes they could become #1. Not to mention that rankings so early in the year don't matter at all.
Old 08-19-2009, 06:19 PM   #7
Midtable shrug

NoDakHusker's Arena

OVR: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavmoses07
I think the ratings have been realistic. You might have a non bcs team in the top 10 but that team varies each year. FIU finished 4th last year in my dynasty. The next year I beat them and put them in their proper place.

Also teams that are good now, don't necessarily stay good. Look what happen to teams like Nebraska, norte dame, and miami.
Nebraska is good. they just had a few years where they didn't do well, but now they're good again(not top 10 good though)
and Notre Dame is on the uprise(as much as I despise Notre Dame)

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »