Home

Whats up with the Run Commit Gimmick?

This is a discussion on Whats up with the Run Commit Gimmick? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-26-2009, 09:40 AM   #1
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 34
Whats up with the Run Commit Gimmick?

Has to be the dumbest feature introduced in a long LLLLLOOOOOOOOONG time.

You have the line slant, rush out, pinch, etc to control which way your line will commit to. That appears to be just fine, its still based on the players ratings and is a legitimate use of strategy.

The Run Commit gives some form of Pac Man Power Pellet Boost to the defense and causes them to wreak havoc. Its destroyed the online running game. It even makes pass rush more effective.

This Gimmick just wasn't thought out. It wasn't needed. What ever happened to just letting the players play to their ratings ability?

Pretty disturbing that they'd assign resources to this Gimmick and leave out formation subs. I hope they assign resources to break this gimmick in 2011 just like they assigned resources to ruin the the fatigue system and bust dynasty progression.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-26-2009, 09:47 AM   #2
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75
Re: Whats up with the Run Commit Gimmick?

I agree. Shifting or slanting the DL or LBs should be able to handle this. I think it's a good feature for young gamers and companies should add stuff like this on the lower difficulty levels (like Varsity) but not on AA or Heisman.

Football games have gotten very complicated that it's hard sometimes to keep a game accessible to new customers and please us older, hardcore guys.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:21 AM   #3
Banned

stevedrumsdw's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by fistofrage
Has to be the dumbest feature introduced in a long LLLLLOOOOOOOOONG time.

You have the line slant, rush out, pinch, etc to control which way your line will commit to. That appears to be just fine, its still based on the players ratings and is a legitimate use of strategy.

The Run Commit gives some form of Pac Man Power Pellet Boost to the defense and causes them to wreak havoc. Its destroyed the online running game. It even makes pass rush more effective.

This Gimmick just wasn't thought out. It wasn't needed. What ever happened to just letting the players play to their ratings ability?

Pretty disturbing that they'd assign resources to this Gimmick and leave out formation subs. I hope they assign resources to break this gimmick in 2011 just like they assigned resources to ruin the the fatigue system and bust dynasty progression.
Yep I agree 100%
Old 08-26-2009, 10:22 AM   #4
Rookie

armagedn's Arena

OVR: 2

I like it and I don't feel its over powered because of the consequence if its not a run play. Using run commit gets the secondary guessing run too, leaving receivers open down-field (if you can get the pass off :-/). Guess run in the wrong direction and the O easily picks up 10 yards. I loved when it was first introduced it in Madden 05 but it was too easy then cuz u could just read the o-line at the snap. Now that you have to commit pre-snap therefore bad reads result in TDs/first downs. Knowing I could give up a big play, the only time i use it is on the goal line.

I feel like the shifting the line, pinch, rush left/right are ineffective tho
Old 08-26-2009, 10:38 AM   #5
Banned

OVR: 8

Worst game idea in a long time, in my opinion.

It's just not realistic and it totally flies in the face of strong, smashmouth football. An offensive gameplan of running the football is about imposing your will on the opponents.

Did the developers miss every Alabama game last year? I mean, defenses weren't exactly surprised that the run was coming. I'm sure they would have loved to "run commit left", but I never saw a team that was able to do any such move.

Run committing is insta-death to the run game (unless you are shifty enough to pull back the other direction sometimes), but pass commit still allows for an effective pass game.

It seems like they created these features to:
A) Give some new concept to track in "Season Showdown"; and
B) Beef up defense without actually fixing the fundamental flaws.

As for the person who said that run commits leave people open downfield - that's really not the case. I can't tell you how often I run PA (which should be the BANE of run commits) and my receivers are 100% covered because they ran the piss-poor implementation of bump-and-run and by the time they released everyone was back in their proper position.

Whomever came up with these commits should never be allowed to speak a word at another EA strategy/design meeting.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-26-2009, 10:40 AM   #6
Guns Up!

Solidice's Arena

OVR: 63

it's up there with Jump the Snap.

Current Main Rotation: Destiny 2 (XB,PC), Division 2(XB) Baldur Gate 3(XB 4p Co-op run) HellDivers 2 (PC)
Games on the list to play: Too many to fit here
Old 08-26-2009, 10:50 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 3

It sucks because I run a spread option offense and it can completely destroys the running game with it. On the zone read plays, I will snap the ball and notice he is committing to the side that my running back goes, so I keep it with the QB. Well since his entire defensive line blows up the line, they are free to chase me down even though they were supposed to be going the other way.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:51 AM   #8
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidice
it's up there with Jump the Snap.
Its worse. Much Worse. Run commit, you can pretty much just lay the controller down and let the computer do your dirty work.

At least with the jump the snap gimmick you had to be interactive with the game.

I houserule both of those gimmicks out.

Who thinks of this junk? I mean jump the snap, at least I saw it happen in real life before when Lavar Arrington flew over the line like Jefferson from Fast Times at Ridgemont High.

But I have never heard of team get into a huddle and say, "we're going to run commit boys. Take this pill and we'll have the strength of Hercules."

"But what if they pass coach?"

"Thats the beauty son, it don't matter what they do, with this run commit pill, we'll just blow up their line. They'll surrender quicker than the French."

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »