Home

Downside of NCAA 09?

This is a discussion on Downside of NCAA 09? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-08-2009, 02:27 PM   #1
MVP

MrOctober430's Arena

OVR: 12
Downside of NCAA 09?

I'm thinking of picking up 09 for cheap or just go with FIFA or NBA live. But I need my college fix.

Is 09 a lot like 10 or is primarily better? Hows the game speed? Hows the passing / game play? Basically is there anything wrong with the game?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-08-2009, 03:02 PM   #2
Guns Up!

Solidice's Arena

OVR: 63
Re: Downside of NCAA 09?

NCAA 10 is better than 09, by a lot, IMO. '09 was way too offensive and the speed curve and bad pursuit angles were unbearable. plus dynasty mode was basically "broken" as you could get. CPU could not recruit good at all, CPU could not manage their roster worth anything, and most teams would regress so bad that after 2-3 years every team sucked except for USC who seemed to always stay good.

'09 would be good if you enjoy scoring easily on offense and not playing defense.

Current Main Rotation: Destiny 2 (XB,PC), Division 2(XB) Baldur Gate 3(XB 4p Co-op run) HellDivers 2 (PC)
Games on the list to play: Too many to fit here
Old 11-08-2009, 03:03 PM   #3
MVP

jbrew2411's Arena

OVR: 13

I thought after the patch(s) 09 played ok. I had to mess with the sliders big time to get good game play. The "Robo QB" can kill you if you play on a level higher then Varsity. I'm a offline dynasty only player and have played this game since 98 and enjoyed this game more once I got 3-4 season in. Sacks are hard to come by until you learn the system. My key to sacks was to play as a fast D-end and don't try to run past the tackle but to cut back towards the middle and you could force the QB to move around and get a sack. The passing game was ok but deep balls were hard to complete. I found that not using the left stick to lead pass worked better then when I did. The dynasty mode is the same as 10. I wish I had just kept playing 09 and not bought 10. I have not touched 10 in a month.
Old 11-08-2009, 03:09 PM   #4
MVP

stoncold32's Arena

OVR: 17

dont fool yourself. This game is bad. People have just come to accept the flaws, bugs, and all the other unacceptable issues.

But if you have a choice, then yeah, get this over '09....

Personally, after the 09 debacle, I went and bought FIFA 09 just so I could have a good game to play. They say FIFA 10 is awesome...I havent played it yet, but if not for Madden finally being good, I would probably buy it.
Old 11-08-2009, 03:32 PM   #5
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47

I still have 09 and play it from time-to-time. It's not a perfect game, and really, no game is perfect. For me and my skill level, the game is good. I get a good challenge from the CPU with the right slider settings and I can, in fact, play defense.

I know there are issues with 09 that are legitimate, I just feel that sometimes certain things about the game are way overblown. In the end, if you can find the right slider settings for you, the game can be very enjoyable.

If you're looking to save money, 09 is a good option.
EA Sports PGA Tour (PS5)
PGA Tour 2K23 (PS5)
Super Mario Bros. Wonder (Switch)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-08-2009, 03:36 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoncold32
dont fool yourself. This game is bad. People have just come to accept the flaws, bugs, and all the other unacceptable issues.

But if you have a choice, then yeah, get this over '09....

Personally, after the 09 debacle, I went and bought FIFA 09 just so I could have a good game to play. They say FIFA 10 is awesome...I havent played it yet, but if not for Madden finally being good, I would probably buy it.
Madden isn't good. It is acceptable.
Old 11-08-2009, 03:51 PM   #7
MVP

jbrew2411's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djwlfpack
I still have 09 and play it from time-to-time. It's not a perfect game, and really, no game is perfect. For me and my skill level, the game is good. I get a good challenge from the CPU with the right slider settings and I can, in fact, play defense.

I know there are issues with 09 that are legitimate, I just feel that sometimes certain things about the game are way overblown. In the end, if you can find the right slider settings for you, the game can be very enjoyable.

If you're looking to save money, 09 is a good option.
Dude you are dead on. No game is perfect and every game is different since we all play different ways. For me great graphics can take a back seat to depth in the dynasty mode. 10 looks better then 09 but for some reason I can not play 10 any more. For me all 10 is a "looks makeover" of 09. I have went back to Choop2k8 which I had last year while playing 09. I was having fun with 09 so 2k8 stayed in the game cabinet. Not this year 2k8 has been in the system for a month now and I don't see my self going back to 10 at all. If I need to play some football I may have to get 09 back out and play some more of my dynasty.
Old 11-08-2009, 05:25 PM   #8
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

I agree that some of the problems of 09 are blown way out of proportion. The game could me made tough on defense. NCAA 09 was really flawed out of the box and the sliders generally don't work well but after finding a slider set for my skills I was pretty happy.

The cpu recruiting and depth chart handling does suck but it doesn't ruin the dynasty mode in 2-3 years imo. More like after 5 years from my experiences.

NCAA 10 had lousy camera angles for my tastes and crazy fast pass speeds that made playing pass defense very frustrating. NCAA 09 could be fun. It just depends on your tastes and how annoyed you get with certain things.

I wrote a blog comparing NCAA 10 to 09 after renting 10 for a week and deciding to stick with 09: http://www.operationsports.com/rudyj...10-vs-ncaa-09/.

I'm not saying 09 was great but it was fun with massive tweaks.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »