Home

How the hell do you play defense on this game?

This is a discussion on How the hell do you play defense on this game? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-09-2010, 04:05 AM   #9
MVP

OVR: 29
Re: How the hell do you play defense on this game?

but what you're saying then is basically "don't play the game because it's not realistic" well that's not an option for many of us. The reason I apply realistic ways to play defense is because in my experience those ways are effective if that weren't the case then I would never post it on here as a way to help someone that's struggling. It doesn't matter how fast the ball travels if the qb makes a poor decision because of pressure or he's guessed wrong on the defense. again those are my experiences with this game. Also, maybe i'm nuts here, but I'm really struggling to figure out how a "hard core gamer" could have hard time beating this game on heisman with sliders set a default. My point was never that all slider adjustments are cheese. Just that I personally can't see taking any satisfaction in beating the CPU with slider assistance.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:21 AM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 1

i agree with moylan the game is fine on regular settings im tired of guys who need to adjust the game and say "its unbeatable" your just not very good i play on heisman and have no problems stopping the cpu.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:04 AM   #11
MVP

OVR: 38

Wow seriously moylan55?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-09-2010, 01:51 PM   #12
Banned

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by moylan55
but what you're saying then is basically "don't play the game because it's not realistic" well that's not an option for many of us. The reason I apply realistic ways to play defense is because in my experience those ways are effective if that weren't the case then I would never post it on here as a way to help someone that's struggling. It doesn't matter how fast the ball travels if the qb makes a poor decision because of pressure or he's guessed wrong on the defense. again those are my experiences with this game. Also, maybe i'm nuts here, but I'm really struggling to figure out how a "hard core gamer" could have hard time beating this game on heisman with sliders set a default. My point was never that all slider adjustments are cheese. Just that I personally can't see taking any satisfaction in beating the CPU with slider assistance.

I agree with the rest of your post besides those three comments. It does matter about the speed of the ball, even if the qb makes a bad decision. It still matters. And I don't struggle to beat the cpu on Heisman default. I posted that I'm tired of not being able to play realistic defense in this game. With the speed of the passes, it's literally luck to get stops. Period. You can tell yourself that you're playing great D and mixing things up all day but the speed of the ball trumps everything you do. My record in my dynasty is actually too good to be realistic, I've lost 3 games in 5 years. It still sucks that defense is the way it is. It doesn't make the game or the ball physics "sim" just because we can beat the cpu on Heisman by mixing up our coverages and pressure.
As far as your last comment about sliders; you're obviously not using sliders correctly if you're trying to tweak them to make the game easier for you. I think the reason most hard-core gamers use sliders is to find a REALISTIC way to play the game, not an EASIER way to play the game.
Sliders are awesome, and they are for sim gamers.

Last edited by Sting; 02-09-2010 at 01:53 PM.
Old 02-09-2010, 03:15 PM   #13
MVP

I don't use sliders at all I play with default, but if I did use them it would only be to increase the CPU's ability that's what i'm saying. And I don't need to convince myself of anything on defense when the QB has to pick himself off the ground, my d lineman knocks down a ball because he got inside penetration, I stuff a couple of run plays and force a 3rd and long, I call a zone at the right time and the qb throws it right to my defender, or my pressure forces a bad throw. there's no way you could possibly call any of those scenarios luck. those are all examples of my defense forcing the CPU into a bad play.

The speed of the ball is just so irrelevant and that's not to say I don't understand it's a flaw in the game. It's irrelevant because there's nothing we as gamers can really do about it unless i'm missing some sort of pass speed slider? So as i've said over and over the only thing we can do is play good overall defense. In his prime John Elway threw the hardest ball in the game. the D Coordinators that he faced didn't go to their head coaches and say "look the only way we're going to stop him is if we get lucky"

Last edited by moylan1234; 02-09-2010 at 03:19 PM.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:53 PM   #14
Pro

OVR: 7

Quote:
I don't use sliders at all I play with default, but if I did use them it would only be to increase the CPU's ability that's what i'm saying. And I don't need to convince myself of anything on defense when the QB has to pick himself off the ground, my d lineman knocks down a ball because he got inside penetration, I stuff a couple of run plays and force a 3rd and long, I call a zone at the right time and the qb throws it right to my defender, or my pressure forces a bad throw. there's no way you could possibly call any of those scenarios luck. those are all examples of my defense forcing the CPU into a bad play.

The speed of the ball is just so irrelevant and that's not to say I don't understand it's a flaw in the game. It's irrelevant because there's nothing we as gamers can really do about it unless i'm missing some sort of pass speed slider? So as i've said over and over the only thing we can do is play good overall defense. In his prime John Elway threw the hardest ball in the game. the D Coordinators that he faced didn't go to their head coaches and say "look the only way we're going to stop him is if we get lucky"
I understand what you're saying. I been out of the "slider game" since maybe Madden 05 or 06, but ppl adjust sliders not to make the game easier but more realistic.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:01 PM   #15
Banned

OVR: 26

Quote:

That's a bit of a reach wouldn't you say? - comparing Elway to the game engine of NCAA '10 and all of their qbs rocket throws

Anyway, you're right, there is nothing we can do about the pass speed so it is what it is. We just have to hope it's fixed next year.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-09-2010, 05:28 PM   #16
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavensFan2k3
I understand what you're saying. I been out of the "slider game" since maybe Madden 05 or 06, but ppl adjust sliders not to make the game easier but more realistic.
I hear you, but i'm skeptical. i'm not convinced that "more realistic" doesn't equal easier to dominate. I get that the game has flaws and at times the CPU seems unstoppable, but I actually really like that because like sting was saying it's easy to put long win streaks together and suffer very few losses so imo anything the CPU has to do in order to compete is ok by me.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »