Home

NCAA Football 11 Blog: Quarterback

This is a discussion on NCAA Football 11 Blog: Quarterback within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-15-2010, 12:23 AM   #65
Banned

JerseySuave4's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: NCAA Football 11 Blog: Quarterback

the armed forces bowl is on right now and man does it get me excited for football season... cannot wait
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-15-2010, 12:42 AM   #66
#HTownTakeover #YWCF

coogrfan's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseySuave4
the armed forces bowl is on right now and man does it get me excited for football season... cannot wait
Ugh...don't remind me.
Old 05-15-2010, 01:17 AM   #67
Staff Writer

jmik58's Arena

OVR: 42
@JerseySuave4

I totally agree about your point on page three about drilling technique and repetition.

My point was that foot positioning isn't as important, in my opinion, for dbacks in regard to their ability to be in position, etc. However, I do coach foot positioning and specific foot up when playing a tight man coverage, etc.

Our coaching staff has gone to several clinics and we've heard the same things you mentioned about doing the little things until they become second nature.

We've been amazed at how "unskilled" in a football sense that many high school kids are. It seems that boys don't go out and play football in the backyard like they used to so you get guys that honestly don't know proper technique for catching a ball. Footwork in cuts is another huge one we have to retrain.

The more muscle memory we can instill, the more time we can spend on teaching and coaching concepts to give them an edge. Unfortunately, sometimes we're stuck with a group of kids that have to taught fundamentals they should have gotten when they were much younger.

It makes our job as coaches tougher, but definitely more rewarding when the hard work pays off.
Old 05-15-2010, 05:52 AM   #68
Banned

JerseySuave4's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmik58
@JerseySuave4

I totally agree about your point on page three about drilling technique and repetition.

My point was that foot positioning isn't as important, in my opinion, for dbacks in regard to their ability to be in position, etc. However, I do coach foot positioning and specific foot up when playing a tight man coverage, etc.

Our coaching staff has gone to several clinics and we've heard the same things you mentioned about doing the little things until they become second nature.

We've been amazed at how "unskilled" in a football sense that many high school kids are. It seems that boys don't go out and play football in the backyard like they used to so you get guys that honestly don't know proper technique for catching a ball. Footwork in cuts is another huge one we have to retrain.

The more muscle memory we can instill, the more time we can spend on teaching and coaching concepts to give them an edge. Unfortunately, sometimes we're stuck with a group of kids that have to taught fundamentals they should have gotten when they were much younger.

It makes our job as coaches tougher, but definitely more rewarding when the hard work pays off.
i agree with you 100%

I remember growing up i was always playing football or basketball outside all the time whenever i could, by myself or with friends but these days there are too many electronics and other things that distract kids and you dont see kids out playing like they used to. Like you said, i'm amazed that there are so many kids playing high school football that dont even understand the game of football because they just play video games and then watch the NFL on Sundays but they dont really "watch" the games they just watch them. What i mean is that they don't really pay attention to what is going on the game, they just look at the outside picture, they aren't understanding why a player does one thing or why a coach runs that play or the strategy and technique behind everything, they're more into the result of the play and the cool celebrations or things the players do.

And i dont even coach at public school, i coach at a parochial school where kids come from all different areas so we get the top talent from the surrounding areas and just about all of the kids want to be there instead of being forced there by mommy and daddy and we're a successful school but we do have to do a lot of teaching when these kids first get there to really help them understand football and everything involved with it. We got good kids that listen, i cant imagine some of the public schools in Jersey. I coached with a guy who is at a public school now (wont say which) where they have to worry more about the kids being academically eligable, not getting arrested, and being a pain in the you know what so i'm spoiled in the sense that those 3 things are never too much of a problem where i am because the school and football program does a good job making sure the kids keep their grades up, they arent trouble makers so getting arrested isnt an issue and if they are a big enough pain there is a kid right behind them that is just as talented that we'll just put in instead.

Last edited by JerseySuave4; 05-15-2010 at 05:57 AM.
Old 05-15-2010, 07:34 AM   #69
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

I was hoping to hear that pass velocities would be appreciably lower than in Madden for all but the elite arms. That's one of the major differences in the college game, and one of the reasons NCAA has been so wide-open offensively over the years is the ridiculous pace of the thrown ball. Having a weak armed QB (by college standards) should be a significant handicap.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Old 05-15-2010, 07:56 AM   #70
Boom!!

J-Unit40's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
I was hoping to hear that pass velocities would be appreciably lower than in Madden for all but the elite arms. That's one of the major differences in the college game, and one of the reasons NCAA has been so wide-open offensively over the years is the ridiculous pace of the thrown ball. Having a weak armed QB (by college standards) should be a significant handicap.
I agree 100%. I like to hear about the dual-threat QBs, throwing out of sacks and such, but the ball throwing speeds in NCAA the last few years have been out of this galaxy.

Part of me thinks that EA did this to reduce the INT fests that existed in NCAA 07 & 08.

There should be a major difference between the throws Ryan Mallet makes and the 3rd string QB from Utah State. A major difference.

Last edited by J-Unit40; 05-15-2010 at 08:01 AM.
Old 05-15-2010, 09:27 AM   #71
MVP

noplace's Arena

OVR: 13

All I wanna know is why is it so hard to get the DE's to rush upfield? Why cant EA implement this? Qbs are still allowed to make there 3,5,7 step drops without being forced to step up in the pocket. They still can get outside the tackle box with ease....Fix the damn LOS play and you have a pretty decent game.

Nebraska Cornhuskers
Washington Redskins
Miami Heat
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-15-2010, 10:20 AM   #72
Banned

OVR: 10

I was really wishing the QB blog was going to be about QBs and not DEs. They made it easier to hot route to DE contain.....sounds like a DE blog. I was hoping for different throwing animations or something along these lines.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »