Home

Back To The Days of Old!

This is a discussion on Back To The Days of Old! within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-15-2010, 12:18 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 19
Angry Back To The Days of Old!

With the latest news (CNBC) of video game sales not good, and with drip-drops of game information put out with lest than 2 months remaining before release, It seems like we are going back to the days of old when interaction with Dev's was little to none.

Compared to last year's interaction with the community, commumication has plummeted similiar to game sales. NCAA is not the only game either, it's around the board pertaining to all sports games.

I know some gamers will say there is lot's of time remaining for information to be passed along, but with what gamer's have had to spend their money on since Next-Gen came, communication/interaction should be greater than the current state.

Also, many gamer's might argue that there has been little progression with College football. Yes, visuals have improved in some area's (lighting), but have yet to see any work in others (fans/sidelines/fields) as they have in Live and NHL. Yes, ESPN is finally being used, but looking at how game atmosphere has evlolved in Live and NHL, NCAA seems to be ignored like the "Ugly sister with acne". (Ugly girls need love too!!)

Game forums are littered with 1,000's of well thought out suggestions, and some not so thought out, but interaction between Dev's and it's consumers is a must for the game to imrove to the level it should be at. Yes, Dev's caught a "Beatdown" last year, but some would argue that the heat in the "Kitchen" increased because gamer's are tired of "being played a fool" year after year. Cuba Gooding stated, "Show Me The Game".

Well it seems that not everyone can take the "Heat" I guess, but what else can you expect when you're taking folks hard earned cash and they're unable to return for a refund, a game that is not what they expected and/or up to par with similiar sports games.

Well, I guess it's "Back To The Days of Old!!!

Last edited by khaliib; 05-15-2010 at 12:26 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-15-2010, 12:31 PM   #2
MVP

I Peench's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: Back To The Days of Old!

If "back to the days of the old" gets me a game (and soundtrack) like ncaa 05, sign me up.

Anyways, I'm a bit confused at the correlation between game sales and community interaction. At first I thought the lack of communication the dev team had with the community was a bad thing. Now, I think I'm starting to warm up to the idea. I'm sure they still look at these boards often. All the communication did (for me) was create a false sense of hope by enabling the dev teams the means to promise things they ultimately couldn't deliver.
Old 05-15-2010, 12:46 PM   #3
Banned

Bigdmo9999's Arena

OVR: 46

Seems like they are actually working on the game this year instead of answering questions about it. I know I would love to have more dev interaction but they have listened to a few things so far.
Old 05-15-2010, 08:23 PM   #4
Keep the Faith

TripleCrown9's Arena

OVR: 28

OK the dude that started this thread made a pretty poor comparison. Yeah the crowds will be better in Live and NHL. Those places only hold about 20,000 people. And the camera in the games are confined to an enclosed space. There is no need to detail the crowd at Beaver Stadium. Do you realize how much they would have to take out of the game to make 107,000 people look real? I personally dont pay attention to the crowd as I drop back with defenders coming at me. So the crowd is just fine, IMHO.
Old 05-15-2010, 08:41 PM   #5
Rookie

seawolves9's Arena

OVR: 7

What? Have you listened to the interviews with the developers at all? Do you even know what's going on in this year's game? There's a lot of things in this year's title that the community has been asking for, albeit for years. Locomotion, formation subs, conference logos on field changing when switching conferences, ESPN integration, and team specific entrances. Back to the days of old? I believe that this year's title was a huge step in listening to the community and that the devs have done a decent job with it. Unless I missed the entire point of your post, then I think you're wrong.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-15-2010, 09:14 PM   #6
Rookie

ctindal21's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampStomper90
OK the dude that started this thread made a pretty poor comparison. Yeah the crowds will be better in Live and NHL. Those places only hold about 20,000 people. And the camera in the games are confined to an enclosed space. There is no need to detail the crowd at Beaver Stadium. Do you realize how much they would have to take out of the game to make 107,000 people look real? I personally dont pay attention to the crowd as I drop back with defenders coming at me. So the crowd is just fine, IMHO.

not that im big on having an animated crowd but nahh man, if backbreaker can have 90,000 animated fans than EA can do better than they are doing...
NBA- New York Knicks

Old 05-16-2010, 01:24 AM   #7
MVP

OVR: 19

Swamp,
you did miss the thought!!!
It was not a direct comparison to the other two titles, but an indirect notation of how the atmosphere of those titles have progressed within themselves. We got NCAA on Next-Gen in '08. Youtube those two games in '08, and you'll see how they've improved in that area. Then do the same for NCAA and see what the progression has been like.

What about the sideline atmosphere? Surely 3 yrs later, we should have more than the cut-outs with 00 on their jerseys.

Also, it's not just the visual. The audio of those atmosphere's have improved so much, that now you can tell the difference between seasonal play and post-seasonal play crowds. And remember, those to are EA titles to.

Sea,
from the lack of information that has been put out for gamer's, I would find in hard for you to know what's in the game yourself, unless your a Dev.

2nd-For every item you've mentioned, I can find 20 post for each that say those aren't groundbreaking implementations.

3rd-there are 1000's of post by gamer's that feel like the community is not being listened to, thus why I posted the thought of this thread and included
"Compared to last year's interaction with the community"

This wasn't a bash the Dev's post, but a comparison of the interaction with gamer's during this time last year. Last year, they were on these forums, but now information is slowly leaking out by a few who were lucky enough to get an interview or invite to a showing.

So it seems like we are going back to how it was. You just get the game, and "what it is, is what it is"
Old 05-16-2010, 01:42 AM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 5

I would hazard to guess that one reason you're not seeing as much interaction is that the team took a lot of heat last year for focusing so much on certain community sites.

There's a difference between interaction with the community and interaction with Operation Sports.

This year we've had CoverItLive chats for most of the major blogs, Russ hosted several chats to solicit feedback on features coming out of NCAA 10, some of the major players in community interaction (Dewiel, Ian Cummings, Raczilla, Donny Moore, Josh Looman) are on Twitter and interacting regularly with fans and community leaders.

If you can say with a straight face that the community isn't being listened to, then I would have to question what your standards are. The devs have scaled back their interaction somewhat and focused it almost solely on interaction at EA's site. From every standpoint that is a good move for EA. There are no accusations of favoritism, no problems with people answering the same question differently on different forums, and it encourages people to visit EA's website.

And while you may be able to find "20 posts" for every feature so far announced that says it isn't groundbreaking, the fact remains that almost every blog has announced something that the community as a whole considered a major feature wanted. Formation Subs, enhanced presentation and improved blocking were some of the most often mentioned improvements I've seen asked for in the last year. Locomotion is going to bring ratings into effect that haven't mattered in nearly a decade.

They're listening to the community. And yes, they're interacting with us. And they're also making what is looking to be a very good game.

I don't know what else we can ask for.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »