Home

NCAA Football 11 Blog: Play Calling

This is a discussion on NCAA Football 11 Blog: Play Calling within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-15-2010, 01:29 PM   #25
MVP

OVR: 8
Re: NCAA Football 11 Blog: Play Calling

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoncold32
I dont like the new screen because you can only select plays with "X", therefore you have to highlight the actual play. Whereas last year you could see 3 plays and pick them with like "X" or Triangle, or Square button
According to the blog, this can be done in "Bluff" mode. Not sure why they are forcing you to do it that way though...again, messing with something that didn't need to be messed with.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-15-2010, 01:30 PM   #26
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkavian
I don't know who gave them the feedback on the play calling screens, but their judgment should be questioned... As many others have stated the new play call screen is garbage.

The old style was fine, heck even perfect IMO. The one thing that did NOT need to be messed with and they hacked it to pieces.
I also hate the new play calling screen. Its very time consuming to pick a play scrolling from side to side. Then you have to highlight the play and press A.

Some packages have 20 or 25 plays in it. Finding play #18 will require you to scroll and scroll till you find it. That chews up a lot of time on the playclock. Also if you accidentally press up or down you get another package, further delaying your choice.

I want to be able to pick six plays at a time, by scrolling up and down. Also I want to be able to pick a play that's on the screen by pressing the button that corresponds to the play. Like in 2010, I would see six plays and press either X, A, B, LB, RB, Y and away I go. I got to pick what plays I wanted quickly and efficiently.

I hope there's still time to change the coding on the play calling screen and that its not difficult. Because this play calling selection screen is just plain horrible.

Its worse on defense. With the no huddle offenses I need to be able to pick the defense that I want fast. Good luck trying to get that zone blitz play you want in the 8 seconds you have to scroll through 30 some plays.

Why make something as fundamental as play calling more tedious than it needs to be?
Old 06-15-2010, 01:41 PM   #27
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
I don't know who gave them the feedback on the play calling screens, but their judgment should be questioned... As many others have stated the new play call screen is garbage.

The old style was fine, heck even perfect IMO. The one thing that did NOT need to be messed with and they hacked it to pieces.
Agreed. Why mess with something you've already got right.
Old 06-15-2010, 01:55 PM   #28
Pro

HokieB's Arena

OVR: 14

As a strictly "Ask Corso/Madden" player, I must say that I'm loving the new default playcalling screen. I need to dig around with it some more to see if I can still easily access formation subs without accessing Advanced. If not, then that needs to be fixed.

It's not that I don't have the capacity to pick a formation, then a play. It's that I get tired of spending 75% of my time in the playcall screen and not on the field. 18 suggested plays each time is more than enough for me. And I'm sure I'm using a much larger variety of plays and formations with this method than I would if I was using the advanced method. (I think Ian & co. did a study and found that most people use less than 15 plays or something!)

Combine this with the accelerated clock, and I'm going to be ripping through my dynasty.

I know I am in the VAST minority. Please don't call me horrible names

Last edited by HokieB; 06-15-2010 at 01:57 PM.
Old 06-15-2010, 02:13 PM   #29
Rookie

Arkavian's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieB
Please don't call me horrible names
Horrible Names!!

There I called you that
Old 06-15-2010, 04:00 PM   #30
Rookie

cbc72's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:

Exactly the word I was going to use to describe the new play calling system. Garbage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayshime
Agreed. Why mess with something you've already got right.
Doesn't EA have a record of breaking things that worked fine?

I seem to remember this happening in the past.

"Catching worked fine, how did you change it to break it?"

"Fatigue worked fine, how did you change it to break it?"

"Player progression worked fine, how did you change it to break it?"

etc...

Last edited by cbc72; 06-15-2010 at 04:05 PM.
Old 06-15-2010, 04:12 PM   #31
Banned

Strummer101er's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbc72
Doesn't EA have a record of breaking things that worked fine?
I think EA deliberately changes menus and some other things to give the game a "fresh" look every year and to disguise the fact that the game is 75% recycled from year to year.

NCAA 10's playcall screen was better -- no doubt. Terrible design decision.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-15-2010, 05:12 PM   #32
MVP

Palo20's Arena

OVR: 21

You can put me in the group that doesn't like the new playcalling.

I do actually like being able to easily scroll to another formation, but I HATE scrolling left and right to find a play.

This can't be the best way they came up with??

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »