Home

The Run and Shoot

This is a discussion on The Run and Shoot within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-21-2010, 07:50 AM   #57
Air Raid

Dr Death's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: The Run and Shoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by shttymcgee

The run and shoot is a different animal, and true RnS purists will tell you that to be RnS, you have to have 2 slots and be under the center.
I don't know about that. I've been following the R&S since 1984 and I remember when June Jones moved the QB to the shot-gun... it cut down on sacks and on some of the quicker reads allowed him to get the ball out sooner.

Like anything in life, offenses have to evolve. If they don't, they become obsolete. For me, the Run & Shoot was always under center, with half roll outs and motion. But that changed. Instead of motion Jones would just line up in trips and no more under center. I will never forget how it looked and felt different... until I saw the QB making the same reads, the WR's running the same routes... then I was like, okay, this is till the Shoot...

I do agree that the offense is about having 4 WR's on the field. It doesn't matter if you have 2 WR's on each side of the field or line up in trips on one side, the R&S has always had 4 WR's. I am a long time follower of this scheme and have seen the changes that it has been through. And I know that the changes June Jones has implemented have helped it improve and remain a viable offense.

In college his teams have set records and he's taken teams that were bad... and I mean really bad, and turned them into consistent winners. In the pro's, every team that ran this offense, the Lions - Falcons - Oilers, all made the play-offs after years of futile football. It succeeded there and to this day, just about every team uses some R&S concepts.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:19 AM   #58
Rookie

OVR: 3

In college June Jones, doesn't even carry a TE and/or FB on the roster right? I think I remeber hearing that somewhere.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:00 AM   #59
Pro

blakty's Arena

OVR: 6

Carrying this question over from another thread but...

Isn't the Air Raid basically the west coast offense's philosophy, but in the gun(take what the defense gives you, throw until the bodies in the box are favorable & run it)? That seems to be the same offensive philosophy, but I'm just looking for clarity
Old 06-21-2010, 11:04 AM   #60
Air Raid

Dr Death's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakty
Carrying this question over from another thread but...

Isn't the Air Raid basically the west coast offense's philosophy, but in the gun(take what the defense gives you, throw until the bodies in the box are favorable & run it)? That seems to be the same offensive philosophy, but I'm just looking for clarity
Mike Leach has said that the Air Raid is part West Coast and part Run & Shoot... considering he is one of the most famous users of this scheme I figure he knows what he's talking about.

Old 06-21-2010, 11:32 AM   #61
Pro

blakty's Arena

That's what I was thinking. Like a west coast offense, but with some reciever screens, jet motion, and exclusively in the gun.

Still, I like the idea of the Shoot better.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-21-2010, 11:32 AM   #62
Rookie

The Air Raid is one of the most simplistic offenses in football. They only run a few different route combinations, but they run them well.

The Run and Shoot is perhaps the most complex offense in football. It requires a lot out of your receivers and quarterback to make reads post play and to be on the same play.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:43 AM   #63
Pro

blakty's Arena

[quote=Krodis;2041209679]The Air Raid is one of the most simplistic offenses in football. They only run a few different route combinations, but they run them well.quote]
Thats right. There were concerns with spread recievers in the draft having a limited route tree. Not to mention those qbs having to make too few reads and difficult throws.
Old 06-22-2010, 02:08 AM   #64
MVP

speedkills's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krodis
The Air Raid is one of the most simplistic offenses in football. They only run a few different route combinations, but they run them well.

The Run and Shoot is perhaps the most complex offense in football. It requires a lot out of your receivers and quarterback to make reads post play and to be on the same play.
Exactly. Colt Brennan said his first year at UH he almost quit because he didn't know what he was doing and the offense was too complicated. Ernest Givins the former Oilers' receiver said the same thing - that the scheme was too complicated for it's own good. But damn, when the QB and receivers 'get it' it's a thing of beauty.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »