Home

How to set up film room type game planning/scouting???

This is a discussion on How to set up film room type game planning/scouting??? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-09-2010, 11:22 AM   #9
Banned

OVR: 29
Re: How to set up film room type game planning/scouting???

I really like the concept, but I feel like it is a lot of work you really just don't need to do.

By the end of the first quarter you will pretty much know how your opponent will call plays, etc. It is the way of video games - Wash, Rinse, Repeat.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:48 AM   #10
Staff Writer

jmik58's Arena

OVR: 42

I usually do this at least once a year just to see how the AI of the CPU play calling is measuring up.

You have to do option 2, as that's how it's done in the real world.

I actually just use similar methods as to how I break down offensive game film for a real game in real life so I would be willing to help you out in any way I can.

I have some forms I could send that would assist in the process. I don't know that I would want to do this for an entire season because of the hours it would require, but it's always fun on occasion.

Let me know.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:55 AM   #11
Banned

OVR: 15

I like the OP's idea, but I can see where it would be very time consuming. OP, couldn't you just simulate the game and check the stats and see how they played? I dont know.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-09-2010, 12:58 PM   #12
Rookie

ctindal21's Arena

OVR: 12

i like the idea man, may very well try it out
NBA- New York Knicks

Old 07-09-2010, 01:35 PM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmik58
I usually do this at least once a year just to see how the AI of the CPU play calling is measuring up.

You have to do option 2, as that's how it's done in the real world.

I actually just use similar methods as to how I break down offensive game film for a real game in real life so I would be willing to help you out in any way I can.

I have some forms I could send that would assist in the process. I don't know that I would want to do this for an entire season because of the hours it would require, but it's always fun on occasion.

Let me know.
yeah sure thing... would like to check out what you've come up with...

I think the only reason I plan on this film session vs just checking end of game stats guys is because the stat lines dont tell the whole story of how the points were scored.
ie a 25 yrd pass for a TD could occur in many different ways...
was it from the play action after grinding out a ton of running plays... was it from a package that had the QB bootleg out to either side... was it from the shotgun or from under center? or more importantly... what were the sequence of plays or packages used that ultimately opened up the defense to that TD strike??

I know this is a daunting task... and honestly its the first time ive ever even thought of doing something like this... but the college season is not that long... you want to see time consuming? go check the SCEA baseball thread and watch those guys who keep stat lines and pitcher and batter scouting tables for a 162 game season...

NBA- Lakers
NFL- Cowboys
MLB- Yankees/Mariners
NCAA- Texas Longhorns

Old 07-09-2010, 02:37 PM   #14
Staff Writer

jmik58's Arena

What I have helps with tendencies regarding down and distance, field position, and personnel (formations). The tendencies include running to wide, middle, short side, pass, and gap hit tendencies (out of what formations and in what situations do they go to specific gaps), etc.

It would take a bit of a crash course to show you how to put it all together but if you PM me your email I'll send it along with a brief "How-To".
Old 07-09-2010, 07:20 PM   #15
Staff Writer

jmik58's Arena

I just sent an email.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-09-2010, 07:33 PM   #16
Hall Of Fame

reyes the roof's Arena

OVR: 6

I'd have a hard time believeing that scouting AI playcalling would help you at all. I just don't think there is any way of capturing the psychology of human vs human playcalling and programming that in to a game, but it will be interesting to see if you notice any tendencies

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »