Home

CPU triple option teams not being effective

This is a discussion on CPU triple option teams not being effective within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-14-2010, 06:40 PM   #17
MVP

OVR: 20
Re: CPU triple option teams not being effective

^^^That still isn't a great yard total for GT though, espcially against a weak defense. They average over 200 a game last year.

Too much garbage happens on Heisman for me to consider using it. As it stands right now with the sliders I am using on AA the cpu has ran the ball decent to well using most teams against me. The triple option teams are basically the only ones who have been inept at running on me.

What I am thinking since All-American and the sliders I am using seem to work well for most teams, is using one set of sliders when facing teams that run the triple option and then using the set I have now against all other teams.

College: Michigan Wolverines
NHL: Detroit Red Wings
NBA:Detroit Pistons
MLB: Detroit Tigers

Last edited by mgoblue678; 07-14-2010 at 06:43 PM.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:26 PM   #18
Staff Writer

jmik58's Arena

OVR: 42

You guys are missing the point of "why" it's difficult to run the option. It has more to do with the defense.

It's impossible to run the option better. You can run the option to perfection, but the offense allows men to go unblocked. Those unblocked men are ALWAYS in position and never miss an assignment in NCAA 11.

There needs to be more variance in how successful the defensive players are in getting to the correct man and then in how well they execute if they get there.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:41 PM   #19
MVP

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmik58
You guys are missing the point of "why" it's difficult to run the option. It has more to do with the defense.

It's impossible to run the option better. You can run the option to perfection, but the offense allows men to go unblocked. Those unblocked men are ALWAYS in position and never miss an assignment in NCAA 11.

There needs to be more variance in how successful the defensive players are in getting to the correct man and then in how well they execute if they get there.
I disagree somewhat, in the games I have played against Georgia Tech and Navy I have seen a good number of times where the CPU makes the incorrect read or doesn't pitch it to the back when they should. Now I realize to make it somewhat realistic they shouldn't always make the correct read or pitch, but the number of times I have seen it happen is a little too much.

I watched a ton of replays in the last game against Georgia Tech, and the CPU missed a good number of reads or potential pitch opportunities that could have gone for good yardage but instead resulted in losses or minimal gains.

I agree the defense reacts to well to the option even with the Run Defense sliders lowered, I just disagree the CPU is executing it as well as they could.

College: Michigan Wolverines
NHL: Detroit Red Wings
NBA:Detroit Pistons
MLB: Detroit Tigers

Last edited by mgoblue678; 07-14-2010 at 09:44 PM.
Old 07-15-2010, 02:24 AM   #20
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Tried a CPU Only game with Navy @ Maryland, Run Blocking at 100 on Varsity (no other changes from default, including speed threshold) and the results were promising.

14 Score
11 First Downs
252 Total Offense
31-132-1 Rushes - Yards - TD
8-14-1 Comp - Att - TD
120 Passing Yards
8-12 3rd down
1-2 4th down
0-0 2PC
1-1-0 Redzone - TD - FG
1 Turnovers
0 Fumbles Lost
1 Intercepted
7 PR Yards
60 KR Yards
319 Total Yards
3 - 45.3 Punts - Average
0 Penalties
11:16 TOP (20 minutes total)

The most surprising thing about it is that it didn't break Maryland's rushing game, because they only went for 73 yards on 17 carries.

Now, the way these games have gone I could probably run the exact same settings and Navy would end up barely in the positive yards. It's really hit or miss and it seems to snowball when the first few option attempts get stuffed. But it's nice to see that the run blocking at least appears to have an effect.

BTW, I really like this Navy/Maryland game for option effectiveness testing. Mostly because it's a real game that can be simmed to compare with the in-game results. It's also fun to watch - Navy tied this particular game with a dramatic Hail Mary in the final seconds to send it to OT! Terps won it in OT.
Old 07-15-2010, 02:27 AM   #21
Rookie

kennethxD's Arena

OVR: 5

Lol, I was playing Army with Buffalo. And Army ended up having more passing yards than rushing yards....WTF?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-15-2010, 03:10 AM   #22
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

...And sure enough like I posted above; the very next game I ran with the exact same settings (I did double check to make sure they hadn't changed), Navy ran 16 times for......11 yards. Words cannot express the amount of that makes me do.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »