Home

Locomotion does not seem to work

This is a discussion on Locomotion does not seem to work within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-19-2010, 01:19 PM   #9
Rookie

jdefreitas's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Locomotion does not seem to work

Have you guys not noticed how jukes look a lot different this year and while you are in one juke animation if you work the stick correctly that you can add a bit more to the juke or take away, like stutter steps and stuff? If anything you really see the plant of the foot and the cuts flow smoother, at least as far as I can tell.

The biggest are you see it is when you are a ball carrier trying to make a move after a catch or in open field. I remember the first time I saw locomotion take place (and I was looking for it the entire first game I played). My reciever caught the ball downfield, I tried to juke one way and one defender hit my ankles so I started to kinda do a 180 in the air sideways, as I did the safety came up and planted a hard hit against my ball carrying arm and the helmet got the ball spot on and it popped free. While I was pissed I fumbled, I was like whoa that animation rocker because one type of things effected another and the transition between the movements was almost flawless.

Now am I still seeing spotty and inconsistent chopped up animations? Sure. But I think if they work on this system it will get to a point where everyone sees it. I don't think people are pretending at all, I think it is just not as dramatic for every one person until they see one of these animations take place. Should it be more noticeable? Sure... but like anything else I think that will just take time.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:23 PM   #10
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49

If you want to see separation, play on all american with speed threshold at 35 or 30.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:23 PM   #11
Rookie

mcpheje's Arena

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eski33
I was curious about the speed threshold. What would you consider realistic? I am in an online dynasty playing Heisman level on default settings and I find that when I get a mismatch, such as a linebacker on a wide receiver, the linebacker makes up ground when beat by five yards...
I'm currently using a slider set that has the speed threshold at 15. That seems pretty good to me. If a guy takes a bad angle and is slower, then its over. I'll still see the times where a guy that should be slower on both ACC and SPD still hawk down a RB or WR but it's pretty rare.

As far as locomotion, I'm mostly noticing the difference when trying to change direction. I understand it to be a momentum based system. For example: given a players weight, agility, and how fast they are running; a certain amount of slow down is necessary for a particular change of direction. I also believe it is used when determining the outcome of opposing player matchups like OL vs. DL.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-19-2010, 01:27 PM   #12
Midtable shrug

NoDakHusker's Arena

OVR: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpheje
I'm currently using a slider set that has the speed threshold at 15. That seems pretty good to me. If a guy takes a bad angle and is slower, then its over. I'll still see the times where a guy that should be slower on both ACC and SPD still hawk down a RB or WR but it's pretty rare.

As far as locomotion, I'm mostly noticing the difference when trying to change direction. I understand it to be a momentum based system. For example: given a players weight, agility, and how fast they are running; a certain amount of slow down is necessary for a particular change of direction. I also believe it is used when determining the outcome of opposing player matchups like OL vs. DL.
Right, it deals with player movement, animations and momentum. Last year, players could turn on a dime. This year, they must stop in order to change direction.
From what I remember hearing from EA, locomotion takes into account player's acceleration, agility and speed ratings and the player will move according to those ratings. Player movement is so much more fluid this year, it feels very...right. Maybe it's just me, but I love the locomotion system. It makes such a difference in the game.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:56 PM   #13
Banned

OVR: 4

The term " locomotion" refers to anything that has to do with player movement. The entire locomotion system is what EA Sports redid for NCAA Football 11 and Madden 11. The reason your players run more realistically this year than they did in NCAA Football 10 is because of the new locmotion system. Not only the running animations, but also other movement factors such as momentum, agility, acceleration, and overall turn rates.

My opinion is that the locomotion system, while it looks better, is still terrible. Route running is realistic, and I hate to say it, but everything else completely sucks. In this blog, http://insideblog.easports.com/defau...ts&PageIndex=5 scroll down to where it says, " Player Momentum in Madden NFL 10" and then scroll down to the video titled, " Previous Examples of Turn Rates in Madden Games." I did that test for the leading KR for LSU, and it took him 1 yard to do it. And whats even more pathetic is that this was for Madden 10.. This is NCAA Football 11 and from watching all of the gameplay videos of Madden 11, its the exact same thing.

Not only that, go to http://insideblog.easports.com/archi...teraction.aspx and watch the video, " Man Coverage Improvements." Once again, a blog for Madden 10, and its absolutely NOTHING like that in NCAA Football 11 nor Madden 11. That is why the locomotion is bad.

And EA wonders why their customers are so dissatisfied. I'm not bashing EA at all, I just don't understand their motives. Why would you make a blog about something that isn't even in your game? And then its not even in next years game. It disgusts me. AND to top it all off, that was the lead developer making those blogs. Thats absolutely horrible leadership to EA and awful towards the public.

What sucks even more is that this post is completely powerless. There is nothing that I nor any can do about this. I'm sure the moderators will see this but it will hold no significance. I mean if you just go through all of the Madden 10 blogs, there are sooo many things in there that aren't even in NCAA Football 11 or Madden 11. And as Gideon Prime always says, " The next best thing to playing real football is to play video game football." Well when the only company on the market making real NFL and NCAA Football games is screwing the public over, I can't even play video game football. And don't get me wrong, I actually like this game. It keeps me entertained and plays an above average game of football. I just feel like I'm betraying myself by buying the only game on the market from a company who decieves the public like EA does.

I feel completely powerless. There is nothing I can do about this. And I know this post means nothing... Hopefully EA can turn things around soon. Thats the only thing that I/we can do. Hope.
Old 07-19-2010, 02:20 PM   #14
Rookie

IkeB2's Arena

OVR: 4

As far as the DB thing goes..... it depends on whom you are using. I play with LSU and I have had about 5 passes completed on Patrick Peterson(the best CB in football). If you have a top DB or any big time defensive player, you notice it this year. It all depends on the team you use and the skill level you are playing on. And sliders play a big part in your playing experience.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »