Home

Is Dynasty ruined down the road?

This is a discussion on Is Dynasty ruined down the road? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-04-2010, 12:19 PM   #473
Pro

brza37's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: Is Dynasty ruined down the road?

Quote:
Originally Posted by silkysmooth
For me, dynasty is ruined right now. I started a dynasty as three star prestige Purdue. I had an amazing season, winning 10 games and nearly pulling a few big upsets. Most of my games were close games, with me winning by less than a TD in quite a few conference games. I capped the season off by shutting out Florida 16-0 in the Outback Bowl. I landed a ton of 3 star guys in season and figured I'd at least have a bit of depth on my squad heading into the next season.

My prized 4 star tackle turned out to be a 67. The Trio (as I was calling three 3* WRs I signed) turned out to be 64, 60, and 60 overall with average elusiveness of literally 50. I had a 3 star MLB come in at 50 overall.

All my WRs have a CTH rating in the 50s. Their Catch In Traffic ratings are higher. It is completely disappointing to recruit hard and play hard for a full season, only to see 15 of the 20 guys you recruited be literally unusable for at least 3 years and probably more depending on how well you play and recruit the next two years. Part of the fun for me of this game is taking a program over like a Purdue and getting your type of guys to come and play there and turning them around. As it stands now, if you start as a middle of the road team, you are basically recruiting guys who are going to start for you down the road in year 3 or 4 when you have bumped it up to a 5 star prestige team or higher. You have to win with the 50 overall MLB with 65 speed and barely enough awareness to remember to breathe every few seconds because heaven forbid he progress more than 1-2 points in key abilities at a time.

Don't even get me started on kickers. At least Carson Wiggs is a total monster for the first two years I'll be at Purdue. After him I snagged a corner who has 61 KPW and 58 KAC.

If I was a 1 star prestige school, this class would be amazing. But there is no way a 1 star school is getting 14 three star prestige guys. The guys you can realistically get recruiting should be guys who can step in and start in 2-3 years, not be forced to start because all the real players you have are gone at that position and the guys you have recruited are as bad or worse than the guys you got in your first class. This needs to get fixed because it's flat out ugly and ruins what otherwise has been a great dynasty experience for me. I don't mind that some of my recruits bust, but a 3 star guy being 50 overall when in years past walk-ons were barely that bad is just not fun. I shutter to think if I signed a 1* MLB instead where he would be. Even if my school is a 6* team by the time he has been in the program a few years, his ceiling is probably high 60s overall, in which case he would never ever play.

A few thoughts I have:

1. I think a tweak to raise the lowest possible rating a certain prestige recruit can come in at is needed. It will help to alleviate CPU teams getting 1* and 2* guys and being D- the second these guys start. Maybe something like a 74 minimum for a 5* guy, decreasing by 4 OVR each prestige. Add in a random chance to boom or bust for guys too. Say a 3 star guy comes in at 68 OVR and has to start because of injury and actually does well. He should improve, regardless of school prestige.

2. Decrease the importance of school prestige. It dictates what recruits you can get. It dictates how good those recruits can get. It's madness. It should play a factor in recruits decision, but it shouldn't be the only factor. It should have literally nothing to do with player progression. That should be decided by playing time, stats, play style, coaching style, etc. a 4* OLB shouldn't just get better solely because he is playing at Alabama. That is totally lazy programming to ensure prestigious schools stay on top while it absolutely decimates lower tier schools.

3. Fix progression. Remove school prestige as the primary factor in progression and focus on playing time and stats. If a guy gets a ton of snaps as a starter on the offensive line, he is going to get better. If a guy makes a ton of plays as a MLB, hasn't he gotten better? People say if a guy is productive why should is OVR rating matter, but I say if a guy is productive, should his OVR rating not reflect that? Playing time is a big deal as far as progression goes. A guy who is injured often isn't going to be as good as a guy who plays every down.

4. Make sure the CPU isn't over-recruiting some positions. Ohio St. just signed four different 4* guards. Unfortunately for them it wasn't Thad Matta getting those guys. This totally curbs the trickle down effect of talent. I would say two of those guys could have gone to other schools in state and started within two years if they were after playing time or interested in staying close to home. Or they could have gone to another big time school if they wanted prestige. It's so unrealistic to recruit like that. Stacking talent at positions like HB, CB, and WR is somewhat acceptable, but expect a high transfer rate on skill guys who don't get playing time. It's only one season, but I'm sure if I did more I'd have teams with a dozen corners on the roster.

I'm no programmer so I'm not sure how many of these fixes can be accomplished with a patch. I really hope that a patch is planned for this game or it might be getting taken to GameStop by the time Madden comes out
Nice post

I hope this gets fixed or else I guess I can scrap my 1* dynasty right now.
Old 08-04-2010, 02:05 PM   #474
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by silkysmooth
For me, dynasty is ruined right now. I started a dynasty as three star prestige Purdue. I had an amazing season, winning 10 games and nearly pulling a few big upsets. Most of my games were close games, with me winning by less than a TD in quite a few conference games. I capped the season off by shutting out Florida 16-0 in the Outback Bowl. I landed a ton of 3 star guys in season and figured I'd at least have a bit of depth on my squad heading into the next season.

My prized 4 star tackle turned out to be a 67. The Trio (as I was calling three 3* WRs I signed) turned out to be 64, 60, and 60 overall with average elusiveness of literally 50. I had a 3 star MLB come in at 50 overall.

All my WRs have a CTH rating in the 50s. Their Catch In Traffic ratings are higher. It is completely disappointing to recruit hard and play hard for a full season, only to see 15 of the 20 guys you recruited be literally unusable for at least 3 years and probably more depending on how well you play and recruit the next two years. Part of the fun for me of this game is taking a program over like a Purdue and getting your type of guys to come and play there and turning them around. As it stands now, if you start as a middle of the road team, you are basically recruiting guys who are going to start for you down the road in year 3 or 4 when you have bumped it up to a 5 star prestige team or higher. You have to win with the 50 overall MLB with 65 speed and barely enough awareness to remember to breathe every few seconds because heaven forbid he progress more than 1-2 points in key abilities at a time.

Don't even get me started on kickers. At least Carson Wiggs is a total monster for the first two years I'll be at Purdue. After him I snagged a corner who has 61 KPW and 58 KAC.

If I was a 1 star prestige school, this class would be amazing. But there is no way a 1 star school is getting 14 three star prestige guys. The guys you can realistically get recruiting should be guys who can step in and start in 2-3 years, not be forced to start because all the real players you have are gone at that position and the guys you have recruited are as bad or worse than the guys you got in your first class. This needs to get fixed because it's flat out ugly and ruins what otherwise has been a great dynasty experience for me. I don't mind that some of my recruits bust, but a 3 star guy being 50 overall when in years past walk-ons were barely that bad is just not fun. I shutter to think if I signed a 1* MLB instead where he would be. Even if my school is a 6* team by the time he has been in the program a few years, his ceiling is probably high 60s overall, in which case he would never ever play.

A few thoughts I have:

1. I think a tweak to raise the lowest possible rating a certain prestige recruit can come in at is needed. It will help to alleviate CPU teams getting 1* and 2* guys and being D- the second these guys start. Maybe something like a 74 minimum for a 5* guy, decreasing by 4 OVR each prestige. Add in a random chance to boom or bust for guys too. Say a 3 star guy comes in at 68 OVR and has to start because of injury and actually does well. He should improve, regardless of school prestige.

2. Decrease the importance of school prestige. It dictates what recruits you can get. It dictates how good those recruits can get. It's madness. It should play a factor in recruits decision, but it shouldn't be the only factor. It should have literally nothing to do with player progression. That should be decided by playing time, stats, play style, coaching style, etc. a 4* OLB shouldn't just get better solely because he is playing at Alabama. That is totally lazy programming to ensure prestigious schools stay on top while it absolutely decimates lower tier schools.

3. Fix progression. Remove school prestige as the primary factor in progression and focus on playing time and stats. If a guy gets a ton of snaps as a starter on the offensive line, he is going to get better. If a guy makes a ton of plays as a MLB, hasn't he gotten better? People say if a guy is productive why should is OVR rating matter, but I say if a guy is productive, should his OVR rating not reflect that? Playing time is a big deal as far as progression goes. A guy who is injured often isn't going to be as good as a guy who plays every down.

4. Make sure the CPU isn't over-recruiting some positions. Ohio St. just signed four different 4* guards. Unfortunately for them it wasn't Thad Matta getting those guys. This totally curbs the trickle down effect of talent. I would say two of those guys could have gone to other schools in state and started within two years if they were after playing time or interested in staying close to home. Or they could have gone to another big time school if they wanted prestige. It's so unrealistic to recruit like that. Stacking talent at positions like HB, CB, and WR is somewhat acceptable, but expect a high transfer rate on skill guys who don't get playing time. It's only one season, but I'm sure if I did more I'd have teams with a dozen corners on the roster.

I'm no programmer so I'm not sure how many of these fixes can be accomplished with a patch. I really hope that a patch is planned for this game or it might be getting taken to GameStop by the time Madden comes out
I agree with all of this. Especially program prestige being a big factor in progression... what the hell is with that? It really makes no sense. Most of the progression should just be based on how a player plays as well as a hidden potential ratings. Maybe coaching or athletic facilities should play a small part. But program prestige? You're right... that is just lazy.

Also, I agree that program prestige shouldn't be the only factor in recruiting. Just last year, Michigan State, NC State, South Carolina, and Cal all signed a 5* prospect in real life. They are all 3* schools in this game. You will never seen anything like this happen with the way it is set up now.

And yeah, the CPU loading up on positions it doesn't need is a HUGE issue. Possibly the biggest. It leads to walkons starting at other positions for them (or other schools who couldn't get someone starting at that position).

Anyways, I really doubt we're going to get fixes on these things this year. Maybe some of them (like the cpu loading up on players), but I really doubt they'll touch the stuff with program prestige. Hopefully they rework it for next year.
Old 01-22-2011, 04:51 PM   #475
Rookie

OVR: 0

I know this conversation has somewhat petered out, but it seems to me that even if you accept the "well, relative performance remains the same" proposition, there's still a major problem of absolute performance. I don't know if I want to play a game where, as people have said, the best kicker in college football can't reliably make a 30-yard field goal, or even the strongest quarterback can only throw the ball fifteen yards.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-29-2011, 02:58 PM   #476
MVP

Nickflyers's Arena

OVR: 16

After Patch#3 anyone see a change in how this is affected? I'm play a Nova(TB) one and recruited a few 3 Star Guys but they are all 50-65s. It's quite disappointing when I'm a 2Star now and recruiting crap guys.

Twitch

YouTube Channel
Old 01-29-2011, 03:57 PM   #477
MVP

TDenverFan's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickflyers
After Patch#3 anyone see a change in how this is affected? I'm play a Nova(TB) one and recruited a few 3 Star Guys but they are all 50-65s. It's quite disappointing when I'm a 2Star now and recruiting crap guys.
I'm playing as SDSU (1*, but I managed to get them to 2*) and I think that the recruiting part is easier (I started my 2nd year with about 20 3* players with me as #1), but the progression still seems mediocre. I find most 3* players are between 60-68 OVR (Just an estimate, BTW) and they gain 2-5 points a year. So, at best, my 3* guy will become an 88 his senior year, if I redshirt him. That's perfectly fine, however, that is the best any 3* player will be. I think this is still a little low, seing as most 3* players will be a 70-80 OVR Senior year, which is too low IMHO to help make you a grat team.
Old 01-29-2011, 04:27 PM   #478
Banned

OVR: 0

wow silkysmooth post of the year

NCAA 11

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »