Home

After a little over a week, I'll tell you what I've figured out playing on heisman.

This is a discussion on After a little over a week, I'll tell you what I've figured out playing on heisman. within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-22-2010, 12:31 AM   #1
Banned

haze56's Arena

OVR: 4
After a little over a week, I'll tell you what I've figured out playing on heisman.

-Make sure you have a mobile QB. Your line doesn't like and wants to see you get killed.
-Throw the ball to your most physical WR. There are a lot of tight coverages in this game and having a guy that will hold on to the ball in traffic is a big key.
-Pump fake the ball whenever you think the defense will bite. If you have 1 on 1 coverage down the middle of the field, it's a good time to pump fake it. One step by the defender and your guy is wide open.
-When throwing it deep, make sure your guy is a tall WR.
-Zone is absolutely useless in this game so don't play it.
-Timing the QB snap count is pretty simple. Once you get it, you want to user a guy that is blitzing and get a head start. What I mean by this is, you know the snap count so time up the blitz and once the QB snaps the ball you'll have a head start on the offensive lineman. You will get called for offsides a few times, but it's worth getting pressure.
-Stopping the run is the most difficult thing in the game. Try a 4-4 defense with two of your MLB's blitzing and put them in the A gap on obvious running downs and play bump n run on the WR's. If they pass on the play, you'll usually be able to influence the pass enough to where it comes up short of the intended WR.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-22-2010, 12:36 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 18
Re: After a little over a week, I'll tell you what I've figured out playing on heisma

good stuff, man. its cool to see somebody is talkin about heisman

Carolina Panthers
UNC Tar Heels
SC Gamecocks
Old 07-22-2010, 01:35 AM   #3
MVP

Senator Palmer's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: After a little over a week, I'll tell you what I've figured out playing on heisma

A few days ago I agreed with everything on the list, but I'm starting to get the nuances.

Stopping the Run - I play as the MLB and when it comes to stopping the run, the key is to just play your gap. See what gap your d-linemen are slating into and secure the opposite one. I've gotten great results going this. I've found that if I focus on my gap and not trying to mirror the RB, he'll hem himself up. Whereas when I tried to follow his every move I'd get out of position.

Zone - Same thing. If ever there was a year to focus on your area as a defender, this is it. With the weight of the players the key is not to get out of position. Get enough depth on your drops because. If the CPU is throwing underneath then I change my gameplan to aggressive. If they're catching it short and breaking tackles then turn your big hit to conservative.

Throwing Deep - I've actually had some success throwing deep to a 6'0" guy. He's got 93 speed and 90 ACC. The key as far as I can tell is the acceleration and timing.

I agree with the throwing the ball over the middle. I turn the catch down to conservative and my guys are holding onto the ball better over the middle.

Blitzing - I've started to do this too. The CPU doesn't have the super-human ability to pick up every single blitz anymore. It's a lot more realistic now. Over storm brave out of the nickel. Sprint right at the RT. He has to make a choice to block the end or you. I've gotten clean runs at the QB.

Pass Protection - if I'm playing against a line that's giving me trouble I go to the quick passing game then pound them with the run. By the middle of the third quarter that pass rush isn't nearly as effective. I completely neutralized Ohio State doing this.

If you're taking too many hits, the key is taking a pre-snap read and eliminating receivers. I know by the time the ball is snapped where the ball should go, then a checkdown

If you're interested, I found this Top Gun QB Academy pdf that tells qbs what to look for and how safeties give away coverage pre-snap. It doesn't translate 100% to the game, but it's pretty close.

Page: 9-10 coverages
http://www.topgunqbacademy.com/PDFsVideo/QB_LB.pdf

I'm having a lot of fun on heisman now that I'm figuring out what I can and can't do. My only gripe is the interceptions that come from tipped passes.

Last edited by Senator Palmer; 07-22-2010 at 01:41 AM.
Old 07-22-2010, 03:28 AM   #4
Rookie

BigSteveTN09's Arena

OVR: 3

your comment on zone d is so true
NHL - Predators
Old 07-22-2010, 01:54 PM   #5
Banned

haze56's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Palmer
Page: 9-10 coverages
http://www.topgunqbacademy.com/PDFsVideo/QB_LB.pdf

I'm having a lot of fun on heisman now that I'm figuring out what I can and can't do. My only gripe is the interceptions that come from tipped passes.
Thanks man...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-22-2010, 02:00 PM   #6
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55

IMO(For AA) the problem isn't the zones. It's allowing the QB to much time. Any zone in history can be beat if the QB has time. Just sitting back in zone sending 3 or 4 men isn't going to work in this game. In past versions it did work because of the very bad rocket slides/super jumps and whatever else you can recall that previous versions had.

With that said I think I'm making the jump to heisman tonight to see what I can get out of it...

Skyboxer OS TWITCH
STEAM
PSN: Skyboxeros
SWITCH 8211-0709-4612
XBOX Skyboxer OS
Old 07-22-2010, 02:09 PM   #7
Banned

OVR: 25

i have ZERO patience for Heisman....Varsity with some sweet sliders (thanks Playmakers) give a better/realistic game overall that heisman. It can also be much much tougher overall than heisman without the cheap crap.
Old 07-22-2010, 02:17 PM   #8
MVP

bigsmallwood's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyboxer
IMO(For AA) the problem isn't the zones. It's allowing the QB to much time. Any zone in history can be beat if the QB has time. Just sitting back in zone sending 3 or 4 men isn't going to work in this game. In past versions it did work because of the very bad rocket slides/super jumps and whatever else you can recall that previous versions had.

With that said I think I'm making the jump to heisman tonight to see what I can get out of it...
This is exactly what I was going to say. You must mix up who is blitzing and how you are planning to get pressure on the QB. If you just sit back there after the initial progressions by the WRs...they break off their routes and run to the open spots in the zone. Adjust your Defense on the fly. Sometimes people sitting in zone are in perfect position to apply pressure or get a sack and they play zone allowing more time for the QB.

That said, I need more time before jumping from AA to Heisman.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »