Home

It would be nice if video game sites did actual journalism

This is a discussion on It would be nice if video game sites did actual journalism within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-22-2010, 05:31 PM   #1
Rookie

vegaas's Arena

OVR: 5
It would be nice if video game sites did actual journalism

In light of the recently revealed Dynasty problems in NCAA it got me thinking about how game sites could be better utilized.
The sites preview and hype games, give us reviews that arent all that in depth and then not much follow up. Did any review of the game mention the Dynasty issues with awareness or that CPU teams will end up with 7 Qb's and 3 Offensive Tackles? If my job was to review a game I would think that meant testing all parts of the game. I might be in the minority. It seems all the reviews got caught up in the gameplay which is greatly improved but didnt go much deeper.
If the reviewer would have uncovered the dynasty problems then how about if they contacted the game company and asked them if they know of the issues and if there is a potential fix in the works and when we might expect it?
This post is not directed at any site in particular. I just got a bit frustated because if you look at game rankings NCAA 11 is listed at about 85%. I read a number of those reviews and decided to buy the game against my better judgement.
I dont trust EA, they very rarely give us a tested and polished product. They continue with their stellar track record.

Last edited by vegaas; 07-22-2010 at 05:37 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-22-2010, 05:52 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: It would be nice if video game sites did actual journalism

Well, game reviewers don't spend the immense amount of time with the game that we do, and they certainly don't sim for hours just to catch bugs. That's not the intent of the review. It's to experience a normal amount of the game and report how things go during that time; hopefully to play all the modes and give an overview of the various ways you can play. That's basically it. I am much more concerned that EA isn't putting in the testing time to find these things, because I really wouldn't expect a reviewer to do so.

Now if there were a separate position for an actual journalist to investigate and uncover things, that would be fine. But A) it's unlikely, B) it probably wouldn't get done in time for game launches anyway, and C) did I mention that it's horribly unlikely? Regular journalism is already going down the crapper - do you think underfunded game sites are going to pay someone just to dig deep for bugs? It won't happen.

The best thing we can do as a community is band together, find these things ourselves, and report them in a polite but FIRM AND UNIFIED manner. Knee-jerk hate against EA won't help; neither will fanboys trying to pretend it's not real. The stats are there. We know what's really happening. Let's see if we can use the system the right way to get their attention and get a patch.

I don't have a problem with the review scores, by the way. The on-field game play of this game is very good, and ultimately that is what drives that score way more than any of the extras or ancillary game modes. Even dynasty and franchise mode are just distractions to reviewers, as well as the casual gamers who make up a large part of EA's target audience. Not saying that excuses them messing things up this profoundly, but I understand why a reviewer wouldn't be looking for this, and wouldn't change his review much even if he knew about it.
Old 07-22-2010, 05:55 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 15

1) The magazines and websites that do video game reviews are not always given the full final release of the game.

2) You have to play a handful of seasons before you really start to notice most of the problems dynasty mode has, and generally speaking, SPORTS titles are not assigned THAT much time, especially when it's generally the same game every year with a few improvements here and there.

3) Gaming publications are not the only ones that are purely hype-machines lacking any real journalism. Heard of CNN/FOX/MSNBC?
Old 07-22-2010, 06:04 PM   #4
Rookie

vegaas's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalecooper
Well, game reviewers don't spend the immense amount of time with the game that we do, and they certainly don't sim for hours just to catch bugs. That's not the intent of the review. It's to experience a normal amount of the game and report how things go during that time; hopefully to play all the modes and give an overview of the various ways you can play. That's basically it. I am much more concerned that EA isn't putting in the testing time to find these things, because I really wouldn't expect a reviewer to do so.

Now if there were a separate position for an actual journalist to investigate and uncover things, that would be fine. But A) it's unlikely, B) it probably wouldn't get done in time for game launches anyway, and C) did I mention that it's horribly unlikely? Regular journalism is already going down the crapper - do you think underfunded game sites are going to pay someone just to dig deep for bugs? It won't happen.

The best thing we can do as a community is band together, find these things ourselves, and report them in a polite but FIRM AND UNIFIED manner. Knee-jerk hate against EA won't help; neither will fanboys trying to pretend it's not real. The stats are there. We know what's really happening. Let's see if we can use the system the right way to get their attention and get a patch.

I don't have a problem with the review scores, by the way. The on-field game play of this game is very good, and ultimately that is what drives that score way more than any of the extras or ancillary game modes. Even dynasty and franchise mode are just distractions to reviewers, as well as the casual gamers who make up a large part of EA's target audience. Not saying that excuses them messing things up this profoundly, but I understand why a reviewer wouldn't be looking for this, and wouldn't change his review much even if he knew about it.
I understand your points, however; every review mentions Dynasty mode. If they have any experience in sports games what so ever they would think to look at progression in a sports game. If not then mention in the review that you gave Dynasy mode a cursory glance and thats all.
Old 07-22-2010, 06:32 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 9

Videogame journalism has always sucked and mostly always will suck. Most videogame journalists have very little, to no, actual journalism experience. They are, by and large, extra-literate gamers. The lone exception, industry wide, is Joystiq, where the writers are clever, intelligent, and, foremost, they are journalists. Unfortunately, Joystiq gives barely more than a passing glance at the annual sports games because they simply aren't sports gamers.

Further, the level of advertising, promotion, and hands outs in the videogame industry is laughable. I used to be a Community Leader, back in the day, for the MVP series... and how can you not come back hyped, reporting how excellent a game is when EA wines and dines you in Vancouver, BC for three days, while simultaneously playing videogames non-stop all day. Those community play weeks persist as some of my favorite travel experiences: it was all paid for by a company who's games you paid for already, and now they're flying you across the continent, putting you up in a swanky downtown hotel, buying you beers, ordering a filet mignon, and you're playing their game during the day. MVP was a quality game, not without its flaws, but I came back from those events optimistic and positive, ready to promote the hell out of their product to tens of thousands of potential consumers. It goes beyond the community leader, however: videogame sites get almost all of their real advertising revenue from the products that they're supposed to be trying to review fairly. I know from experience: it is impossible to be impartial to a game, developer, or publisher when they throw advertising money at you and you know that they read their site.

Finally, it is the consumers expectations that hamstring the game journalism sector. We expect reviews on or before release day: an absurd task when reviewing something that is typically more indepth than another product. Reviewing a movie on release or just prior to release makes sense, but reviewing a game, start to finish, on release day is like performing a book review and doing it in a matter of one day. In an ideal world, videogame reviews would be like book reviews: they wouldn't be scored with some arbitrary number, but rather, they would set out to make a point, with the game being the backdrop to the point being made by the journalist. It will, however, never happen.

So, for now, we're stuck. The best way to get back at the developer who makes a lousy game or leaves in game-destroying glitches is to sell your game on Amazon, Ebay, or Craigslist. You get most of your money back and the publisher gets nothing on the sale.

(edit, I should add, I like the sports opinion by this site more so than of other mainstream sites because they usually get into the nitty gritty. But, at the same time, OS is usually delayed in their reviews because they have that dedication to the details... so as long as our expectations are the same and videogame reviews are what they are, we're stuck).

Last edited by Rebel10; 07-22-2010 at 09:06 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-22-2010, 07:35 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel10
So, for now, we're stuck. The best way to get back at the developer who makes a lousy game or leaves in game-destroying glitches is to sell your game on Amazon, Ebay, or Craigslist. You get most of your money back and the publisher gets nothing on the sale.
Until the person who bought the game from you buys the online access code, in which case the game company gets more money than they would've had you just kept the game.

The best thing to do is not buy their games in the future, and ask your fellow gamers what they think of the game after having played it for a few weeks.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:23 PM   #7
Rookie

I like this site. I know your not talking about this in general and agree that some sites could do a better job but I like this site and it is good enough for me. I dont expect any site to be perfect but i would encourage people to always be at there best and fourth coming about a game. But I just joined a coulple months back and i enjoy this site a lot compared to other ones. Just saying not trying to disagree just wanted to give my perspective. Also I don't care as much as some people about thing with the dynasty so thats probably why I fell the way I do maybe. But out of all the sites, I look to this one first.

Thanks os
Old 07-22-2010, 08:52 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 17

Rebel 10's post was spot on IMO.

I'm into my 3rd Dynasty season offline and 2nd online and haven't noticed much at all that detracts from my experience/enjoyment as far as Dynasty "issues". I've certainly not seen anything that makes me regret my purchase in any way.

As for the OP's statement about EA's "track record".......judging from EA Sports games like the NHL series (which was so good it literally drove the competition off the 360/PS3 platforms), Madden 10, and now NCAA 11 it's obvious that "EA's track record" is very much a positive one these days. And that's not even including the games they publish that get much better cumulative review scores than EA-published games used to (games like Skate and Dead Space). Everyone said when EA started acquiring studio's that they'd "ruin the studios and their games". Turns out they've figured it out and have let the studios they acquired maintain much of the creative control.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »