Home

Is it just me, or is throwing with short QBs really difficult?

This is a discussion on Is it just me, or is throwing with short QBs really difficult? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-25-2010, 02:42 AM   #9
MVP

OVR: 15
Re: Is it just me, or is throwing with short QBs really difficult?

Well, the key with pocket presence is always going to be the tackle-end match ups. Generally, your interior linemen are 3 vs 2, so they usually win the battle (except when you're facing a superior defensive line). Unless the tackle is far superior and just pancakes the end, the end is going to get by the tackle. A tackle has won his battle when he forces the end around the outside because it allows the quarterback to step forward into the pocket and make a clean throw.

And honestly, a lot if it is just kind of an internal clock in your head. Early in games I choose more conservative passing plays, slants and such. The high percentage completion plays. I use this to figure out how my line pass blocks against their line.

If my line is blocking well, then I know I can have the pocket presence to step up and get a good 3-5 seconds looking downfield, for the big plays. If my line isn't blocking well and I've got 3 or fewer seconds in the pocket, or if I'm being flushed every time, I stick with the high percentage plays.
Old 07-25-2010, 03:27 AM   #10
Banned

OVR: 26

I never pay attention to my pocket and about 10 or 15 percent my passes get knocked down at the Line or I get sacked because of that. Not a bad number considering how I pass this year.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:36 AM   #11
Rookie

Imaking332's Arena

OVR: 5

If you look at instant replays, you'll notice defensive lineman jumping pretty high off the ground, I dont wanna complain but I hope that gets fixed. Linebackers jump pretty high too.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-25-2010, 08:58 AM   #12
Banned

OVR: 7

Imaking..... D-line and linebacker.....most of them play or played b-ball and have hops...
Old 07-25-2010, 09:00 AM   #13
MVP

statum71's Arena

OVR: 61

It should be. Drew Brees is one of a kind.
Old 07-25-2010, 12:08 PM   #14
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imaking332
If you look at instant replays, you'll notice defensive lineman jumping pretty high off the ground, I dont wanna complain but I hope that gets fixed. Linebackers jump pretty high too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbreez35
Imaking..... D-line and linebacker.....most of them play or played b-ball and have hops...
Atlanta Hawks defensive end Jamaal Anderson originally came to the University of Arkansas as a wide receiver...ended up being the 8th overall draft pick.
Old 07-25-2010, 02:17 PM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo27
Atlanta Hawks defensive end Jamaal Anderson originally came to the University of Arkansas as a wide receiver...ended up being the 8th overall draft pick.
Yeah, but honestly, when the defensive lineman are getting pushed around by the OLine, there's no way they can jump as high as their jump rating says. I'm sorry, but if you have your friend grab your shirt (inside the shoulders) and pushing you, while you're pushing against him, and you try to jump, you're not gonna get more than a foot off the ground, if that. You'll probably end up on your back as well. The lineman in this game are able to jump at least 2 feet off the ground and get both their hands up completely.

Whenever you see swats at the line in real life, usually it's a low trajectory pass and the lineman is able to get one arm up and not jump, the pass just happens to hit his arm. So essentially they get lucky. That's why it's pretty rare to see, unless the lineman is just completely free and heading straight for the QB when he throws the ball, then he just jumps and hopefully blocks it with his body/arms/etc.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »