Home

Pre-Determined Blocking Assignments Remove Player Awareness

This is a discussion on Pre-Determined Blocking Assignments Remove Player Awareness within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-25-2010, 04:34 PM   #17
Banned

OVR: 4
Re: Pre-Determined Blocking Assignments Remove Player Awareness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex the Great
I would disagree, I think he just makes the videos so it's easier for him to show us what he is talking about. He's no apex, haha.
I make these videos to show you guys the issues that are present in the game. I understand the way that the games work very well and so I attempt to convey this knowledge to you. And making videos are much easier. And I'm not even close to Apex, I have no where near as cool of a voice as he does lol. By the way, I put a better video on my first post. It proves the awareness rating does not affect the technique. I hope you guys understand what I'm saying about this issue.
Old 07-25-2010, 04:42 PM   #18
Rookie

dsmith710's Arena

OVR: 1

Something I noticed before is I ran a Power O from I formation, one of my lineman pulled out in front of me and completely ignored the first man, for a split second my thought was you've got to be kidding me, but right after that first defender was another one with a better angle at my running back, my lineman blasted the defender and I broke a long run. It was great, I thought the blocking is way better than in the past.
Old 07-25-2010, 04:46 PM   #19
MVP

thedudedominick's Arena

OVR: 23

I also haven't had any lead blocker problems. Sometimes they miss a guy yeah, but a lot of times if the DT beats my guard the fullback bails me out and picks him up letting me cut off of his backside for a 5-10 yard gain.
MLB: Chicago Cubs
Old 07-25-2010, 04:50 PM   #20
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmith710
Something I noticed before is I ran a Power O from I formation, one of my lineman pulled out in front of me and completely ignored the first man, for a split second my thought was you've got to be kidding me, but right after that first defender was another one with a better angle at my running back, my lineman blasted the defender and I broke a long run. It was great, I thought the blocking is way better than in the past.
On the Power-O, the weakside guard pulls to the strong side. It's called Power-O, it's designed that way, and it works that way in real life.

Power-O Right against 4-3. The Left tackle blocks the Right End. The Left guard pulls. The center picks up a defensive tackle. The right guard picks up a defensive tackle. The right tackle picks up the right end. By this time, your guard and full back are on the strong side of the play to pick up linebackers or crashing defensive backs.

If you don't want your guard to pull, then run a Stretch play. In a stretch play the running back still gets the outside hand-off, and the fullback still acts as a lead blocker. But the linemen all stay home. This gives you one less blocker, but it gives the running back the freedom to cut back against the grain because the guard hasn't left a gaping hole.

Ultimately, Power-O is BEST with a powerback, while Stretch is BEST with a speedback.

It's important to know how these plays and the blocking schemes are SUPPOSED to work before you criticize them for being wrong. You have to have an understanding of how run blocking works.

I will say this though, there are definitely times when the fullback doesn't exactly do the best job of leadblocking.
Old 07-25-2010, 05:01 PM   #21
Rookie

dsmith710's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo27
On the Power-O, the weakside guard pulls to the strong side. It's called Power-O, it's designed that way, and it works that way in real life.

Power-O Right against 4-3. The Left tackle blocks the Right End. The Left guard pulls. The center picks up a defensive tackle. The right guard picks up a defensive tackle. The right tackle picks up the right end. By this time, your guard and full back are on the strong side of the play to pick up linebackers or crashing defensive backs.

If you don't want your guard to pull, then run a Stretch play. In a stretch play the running back still gets the outside hand-off, and the fullback still acts as a lead blocker. But the linemen all stay home. This gives you one less blocker, but it gives the running back the freedom to cut back against the grain because the guard hasn't left a gaping hole.

Ultimately, Power-O is BEST with a powerback, while Stretch is BEST with a speedback.

It's important to know how these plays and the blocking schemes are SUPPOSED to work before you criticize them for being wrong. You have to have an understanding of how run blocking works.

I will say this though, there are definitely times when the fullback doesn't exactly do the best job of leadblocking.
Haha wow you must've misunderstood what I was saying because I was in no way saying anything bad about the blocking. Plus, I know how plays are supposed to work, I was just pointing out an example of a success that I had in regards to blocking. I wasn't looking for advice on which plays to run or how they should or shouldn't work. The last line of my post I actually said how it was great and the blocking is way better, so if you think I was complaining I wasn't and have no idea how you think I was, if you are saying it for others who don't know then that's fine. But don't assume I was complaining when you can easily read I wasn't.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-25-2010, 05:34 PM   #22
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmith710
Haha wow you must've misunderstood what I was saying because I was in no way saying anything bad about the blocking. Plus, I know how plays are supposed to work, I was just pointing out an example of a success that I had in regards to blocking. I wasn't looking for advice on which plays to run or how they should or shouldn't work. The last line of my post I actually said how it was great and the blocking is way better, so if you think I was complaining I wasn't and have no idea how you think I was, if you are saying it for others who don't know then that's fine. But don't assume I was complaining when you can easily read I wasn't.
Uh yea, I misread it at first, posted my message. Then reread your message...realized I read it wrong, but left my message up because it should be helpful for others.
Old 07-25-2010, 11:15 PM   #23
Banned

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo27

I 100% understand the plays. I understand almost everything with football. I'm not criticizing the plays, I'm criticizing the effects of a feature that EA put in the game. They had problems with lead blockers not knowing who to block in past games. To fix it, they added pre-determined blocking assignments. To me, this was an extremely lazy way for EA to address the problem because that is no where close to how real life lead blocking works. The lead blockers are supposed to LEAD through the whole and then pick up whoever poses the biggest threat to the ball carrier. The pre-determined blocking assignments cause the lead blockers to ditch the designed hole and take the shortest, quickest route to their assignment, thus causing them to lose awareness of their surroundings, run straight into other blockers, and ultimately miss their assignments. This does not happen too often but it does enough to cause a problem. I hope this clears things up for understanding the points I'm trying to make.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »