Home

PS2 Impressions

This is a discussion on PS2 Impressions within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-28-2010, 10:34 PM   #1
MVP

grismosw's Arena

OVR: 15
PS2 Impressions

Anyone have any PS2 impressions? I like NCAA 11 for XBOX 360 but the Dynasty issues bug me some. I'm sure PS2 version hasn't changed much, other than a roster update but the last few versions have been pretty solid.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-28-2010, 11:02 PM   #2
Rookie

medward26's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: PS2 Impressions

i played the ps2 version. it seems to be exactly the same as the past several years. oregon has the same uniforms they had several years ago. not sure if any other team unis were updated. they probably weren't.

There is no new equipment either. it's still fun but I can't get into it after playing the 360 version. sorry that my impressions are not more detailed, I didn't spend much time on the game.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:22 PM   #3
Data Logger

StoneCalf's Arena

OVR: 1

I'm a last gen guy. I prefer last gen primarily because you can't turn coaching contracts "OFF" in next gen, with the exception, as I understand it, that you can turn off contracts in '11 if you play your dynasty online.

I picked up the new NCAA for PS2, as usual every year, and found that's it's very similar to NCAA '10 on PS2. I played 2 practice games plus four dynasty games on '11, 8 minute quarters on AA. I like the game except for one big problem- way too many fumbles. I was averaging 6, combined both teams, per game. That's too many to be realistic, game after game, and is a very game-altering flaw.

Most of the fumbles occurred by receivers who coughed it up after the catch, when they would get tackled. Also, receivers who play on special teams returning punts and kickoffs also had that tendency. And it just wasn't on the HUM side. The CPU had the majority of fumbles, and there's no way to make the CPU protect and "cover up" the ball like a HUM can. (this is with the RB ability slider turned way up, and the def tackle sliders turned way down, so I don't think this is an issue that can be fixed with sliders)

So, for that reason, I had to put down '11 on PS2 and go back to a previous version.

For what it's worth, I'm still trying to decide if I prefer '04 or '07 better. I went back to continue my '07 dynasty and even though it has its issues (overdone momentum meter for one), it's still a better reproduction of college FB IMO than '11 on last gen.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:10 AM   #4
MVP

grismosw's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneCalf
I'm a last gen guy. I prefer last gen primarily because you can't turn coaching contracts "OFF" in next gen, with the exception, as I understand it, that you can turn off contracts in '11 if you play your dynasty online.

I picked up the new NCAA for PS2, as usual every year, and found that's it's very similar to NCAA '10 on PS2. I played 2 practice games plus four dynasty games on '11, 8 minute quarters on AA. I like the game except for one big problem- way too many fumbles. I was averaging 6, combined both teams, per game. That's too many to be realistic, game after game, and is a very game-altering flaw.

Most of the fumbles occurred by receivers who coughed it up after the catch, when they would get tackled. Also, receivers who play on special teams returning punts and kickoffs also had that tendency. And it just wasn't on the HUM side. The CPU had the majority of fumbles, and there's no way to make the CPU protect and "cover up" the ball like a HUM can. (this is with the RB ability slider turned way up, and the def tackle sliders turned way down, so I don't think this is an issue that can be fixed with sliders)

So, for that reason, I had to put down '11 on PS2 and go back to a previous version.

For what it's worth, I'm still trying to decide if I prefer '04 or '07 better. I went back to continue my '07 dynasty and even though it has its issues (overdone momentum meter for one), it's still a better reproduction of college FB IMO than '11 on last gen.
Thanks for the impressions, sounds like '11 on PS2 isn't for me. I really wanted to have updated rosters but oh well, or I guess I could try updating an old version. I still have '07, it was probably my favorite version. The overdone momentum meter is annoying, plus the CPU never misses FG unless its short.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:57 AM   #5
Old Guy

SalemChief's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneCalf
Hey, guys. Like you, I'm a PS2 user. Haven't bought a next gen version since NCAA '08, and with this year's recruits problem, I'm not touching '11 next gen.

Allow me to recommend NCAA '09 for the PS2. After playing every version since the '99 original, I found '09 to be the apex. It's darned near perfect. With Bamafan's sliders, my K-State Wildcats are a blast to play. I've build them into a winner, but I have a hard time with my "B+" team beating the "A" teams. Oklahoma just cleaned my clock AT Manhattan. Probably as it should be.

Momentum meter's toned way down, and the physics are very good. It and Madden '09 for the PS2 are just about right. Punt returns are still pretty much no-go for Madden PS2, but that's the only glitch.

I highly recommend them. If you want Bamafan's sliders, in the "Sliders" section of this forum, search "Bamafan". From August of 2008. You'll find 'em. AA difficulty. Excellent sliders, though I bumped QB ACC to 50, because I don't use precision passing. Not a thumb jockey.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »