Home

What EXACTLY does Awareness do?

This is a discussion on What EXACTLY does Awareness do? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-01-2010, 12:36 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
What EXACTLY does Awareness do?

This has been a question for me for many years of Madden, and know with this year's NCAA 11, and I still don't know the answer.

Can someone give a description of what it does? And a few examples of in-game situations where it would be vital? Thanks.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-01-2010, 01:58 PM   #2
Banned

Re: What EXACTLY does Awareness do?

i dont know this for sure. but what ive always thought it does is just make your players smarter. like with wrs and dbs they will know when the ball is in the air and make breaks on it. so there are times when players dont react to the ball being thrown their way and i think its their awareness rating.

also works with blocking. when you run the ball, if you have a guard pulling or a lead blocker, they will be running in front of you. a lb or db comes running up and the blocker chooses to run by without blocking them because their awareness is low. and just blocking in general when somebody just runs right past an o lineman.

a qb with a low awr will throw more passes into coverage too, i think. but it doesnt really matter for a the qb your using unless you sim.

thats the best i got. i hope its helpful
Old 08-01-2010, 02:33 PM   #3
Air Raid

Dr Death's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcyWiener
This has been a question for me for many years of Madden, and know with this year's NCAA 11, and I still don't know the answer.

Can someone give a description of what it does? And a few examples of in-game situations where it would be vital? Thanks.
Awareness in the game is very suspect. In real life, it encompasses many things. I'll break it down by position...

QB - Ability to read defenses - Knowing HOW to study - Knowing they are the leader of the team but they carry them self in such a way that they are just one of the guys - Knowing game situations... when it's time to milk the clock, when it's time to light a fire into the team, when it's time to chew someone out or when it's time to pick someone up - Ability to call the right audible... this goes into reading defenses and studying, but a QB that can get out of a bad play and into a good play is like gold - Knowing where to throw the ball... I read once that Joe Montana would lead his receivers away from the defender... so if Jerry Rice did a 10 and hook and Montana threw to his left shoulder, it told Rice the defender was to his right... making yards after the catch even more possible when the WR's trust the QB like that -

There are so many little things that go into awareness for a QB it's almost impossible to get into one post. Back to Joe Montana, when he was in KC he was notorious for being a prankster. He would get guys minds off the game and get them thinking about something silly, then... all of a sudden, it's too late to get nervous... it's time to play. Like in SB XXIII when 49er Tackle Harris Barton was freaking out just prior to their last minute, game-winning drive. Montana points out John Candy to Barton and Barton focuses on that... next thing you know the TV commercial is over and the 49ers are driving down the field and into history.

To recognize his teammate is freaking out in the most key moment and to handle it so well... and get his mind on something other than what was at stake... that's legendary.

RB's - Knowing when to follow the play as diagrammed and when to break it off and improvise. Knowing when and who to block when a blitz is coming. Knowing when it's okay to run out of bounds and when you need to stay in bounds... draining time off the clock or forcing your opponent to use a time-out. Knowing where the first down marker is. Remember, they don't have fancy yellow lines on the field... they have to know how far they need to go on 3rd and four, etc...

WR's - Knowing where to settle in zones... something EA has never done as receivers just stand there, covered or not... Knowing where first down markers are and when it's safe to get out of bounds or stay in bounds, like RB's. Knowing when they can't make the catch and have the awareness to turn into a defender to eliminate an interception.

One thing some coaches don't like, but I always liked it when a WR would tell me his man was hurt. A WR sees his guy limping or favoring an ankle... "Hey, so-and-so is hurt, I can beat him deep." I like that. As long as he doesn't prove to be a liar. LOL

Awareness is a massive area of many different things... the ones listed above cover a lot for the QB-RB-WR.

Old 08-01-2010, 11:37 PM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Death
Awareness in the game is very suspect. In real life, it encompasses many things. I'll break it down by position...

QB - Ability to read defenses - Knowing HOW to study - Knowing they are the leader of the team but they carry them self in such a way that they are just one of the guys - Knowing game situations... when it's time to milk the clock, when it's time to light a fire into the team, when it's time to chew someone out or when it's time to pick someone up - Ability to call the right audible... this goes into reading defenses and studying, but a QB that can get out of a bad play and into a good play is like gold - Knowing where to throw the ball... I read once that Joe Montana would lead his receivers away from the defender... so if Jerry Rice did a 10 and hook and Montana threw to his left shoulder, it told Rice the defender was to his right... making yards after the catch even more possible when the WR's trust the QB like that -

There are so many little things that go into awareness for a QB it's almost impossible to get into one post. Back to Joe Montana, when he was in KC he was notorious for being a prankster. He would get guys minds off the game and get them thinking about something silly, then... all of a sudden, it's too late to get nervous... it's time to play. Like in SB XXIII when 49er Tackle Harris Barton was freaking out just prior to their last minute, game-winning drive. Montana points out John Candy to Barton and Barton focuses on that... next thing you know the TV commercial is over and the 49ers are driving down the field and into history.

To recognize his teammate is freaking out in the most key moment and to handle it so well... and get his mind on something other than what was at stake... that's legendary.

RB's - Knowing when to follow the play as diagrammed and when to break it off and improvise. Knowing when and who to block when a blitz is coming. Knowing when it's okay to run out of bounds and when you need to stay in bounds... draining time off the clock or forcing your opponent to use a time-out. Knowing where the first down marker is. Remember, they don't have fancy yellow lines on the field... they have to know how far they need to go on 3rd and four, etc...

WR's - Knowing where to settle in zones... something EA has never done as receivers just stand there, covered or not... Knowing where first down markers are and when it's safe to get out of bounds or stay in bounds, like RB's. Knowing when they can't make the catch and have the awareness to turn into a defender to eliminate an interception.

One thing some coaches don't like, but I always liked it when a WR would tell me his man was hurt. A WR sees his guy limping or favoring an ankle... "Hey, so-and-so is hurt, I can beat him deep." I like that. As long as he doesn't prove to be a liar. LOL

Awareness is a massive area of many different things... the ones listed above cover a lot for the QB-RB-WR.
I appreciate how awareness affects real life situations..but I was sorta looking for an example from in the game. :P
Old 08-01-2010, 11:38 PM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcyWiener
I appreciate how awareness affects real life situations..but I was sorta looking for an example from in the game. :P
Oh sorry I was just reading the top part and assumed you were just explaining real life situations, then I read the bottom.

Thanks Bro :P
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »