Home

No untimed downs?

This is a discussion on No untimed downs? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-07-2010, 03:39 AM   #1
Rookie

awil1026's Arena

OVR: 0
No untimed downs?

The first time i ignored it thinking its a glitch, but this is the second time I scored on offense as the time expired, then had a penalty called with the defense accepting it. But instead of one last play with :00 seconds remaining, it continues on to the second half as if the play didn't happen, someone please ask Adam about this
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-07-2010, 05:08 AM   #2
MVP

miz468's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: No untimed downs?

I'm pretty sure an offensive penalty would end the half/game. Only a defensive penalty would warrant an untimed down.
Old 08-07-2010, 05:14 AM   #3
Banned

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by miz468
I'm pretty sure an offensive penalty would end the half/game. Only a defensive penalty would warrant an untimed down.
If the penalty is declined by the defense, that would end the half. However, it sounds like awil scored on the play but it was called back for a penalty and the defense had to accept the flag (or else they would have given up points).

I'm not exactly sure, but it seems like an accepted penalty on offense or defense would result in an untimed down. Maybe not though, I have my rulebook around here but it's way too late/early to get into it.
Old 08-07-2010, 05:27 AM   #4
Rookie

awil1026's Arena

OVR: 0

yes but im thinking that the option should be accept penalty: replay down with no time left or decline penalty: touchdown for my team
Old 08-07-2010, 05:56 AM   #5
MVP

OVR: 15

From Wikipedia:
Quote:
In the NFL, if a defensive foul occurs after time has expired at the end of a half, the half will be continued for a single, untimed play from scrimmage. Under college rules, any accepted penalty when time has expired at the end of any quarter results in an extension for one untimed down
Sounds like an untimed play should have been allowed.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-07-2010, 06:45 AM   #6
Pro

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo27
From Wikipedia:

Sounds like an untimed play should have been allowed.
Wikipedia isn't exactly a reliable source.
Old 08-07-2010, 08:52 AM   #7
Pro

OVR: 9

I thought college rules dictated, like the NFL, any offensive penalty in the last 10 seconds was a run-off of the clock and the end of the game.

It was put in place to make sure the offensive team wasn't intentionally committing penalties so that they could set something up while the ref was announcing the penalty and then replacing the ball.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:47 AM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsuperfly66
I thought college rules dictated, like the NFL, any offensive penalty in the last 10 seconds was a run-off of the clock and the end of the game.

It was put in place to make sure the offensive team wasn't intentionally committing penalties so that they could set something up while the ref was announcing the penalty and then replacing the ball.
This.

There is no untimed down for an offensive penalty at the end of a half, only defensive.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »