Home

Third and Long?

This is a discussion on Third and Long? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-10-2010, 12:01 PM   #1
Rookie

mechbutcher's Arena

OVR: 5
Third and Long?

Just a quick question for everyone. It seems like I can stop anyone on fist and second down, but not often on third. It can be third and very long, I know its going to be pass and still give up a first down. I have tried zone, man, blitz. I don't know what the deal is. I love this game, best football game ever in my book, but this is the only thing that does annoy me. I only play sim style so positioning players in unnatral positions like i have see people do online to create mismatches to blitz for me isnt really an option.
Thanks for any input.

Go Badgers.\\ Anyone wanna add me on PSN mechbutcher
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-10-2010, 12:49 PM   #2
Banned

NaptownMVP's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Third and Long?

The thing that I have the most success doing is controlling a guy and doing something other than what his play art dictates. IE controlling a DE and instead of rushing the passer like the play art says, drop him back into coverage manually. Or taking a safety that is supposed to drop into coverage and blitzing him. Try that. I usually do it on 3rd and long to avoid the play that always gets run on me by the CPU where one WR runs my CB deep and a 2nd WR/HB slips out 10 yards down field and is wide open and is to the sticks before any of my players reach him.
Old 08-10-2010, 02:20 PM   #3
MVP

BlastX21's Arena

OVR: 16

Because so many people go for it on 4th down, your main priority should to make the 4th down long enough so that they actually punt it. I usually bring the blitz on 3rd down to try and get a sack or turnover. As dumb as it is, man coverage is more viable that zone coverage on 3rd and long. Unless its 3rd and 25, in which case you should run a cover 4, I would just call some kind of man blitz. Online play is all about sacks and turnovers, 3rd down is no exception.
Old 08-10-2010, 02:40 PM   #4
MVP

spit_bubble's Arena

OVR: 27

1. Get quick pressure on the QB with a blitz, so that receivers won't have time to run long routes.

and

2. Make sure your DBs keep the play in front of them, by backing them off in man or having at least three guys back in deep zone coverage.
Old 08-10-2010, 03:53 PM   #5
MVP

BleacherCreature's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by spit_bubble
1. Get quick pressure on the QB with a blitz, so that receivers won't have time to run long routes.

and

2. Make sure your DBs keep the play in front of them, by backing them off in man or having at least three guys back in deep zone coverage.
Wouldn't the opposite work too? Move your DBs up tight to the line, in an attempt to throw off the receivers' routes, especially on a blitz?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-10-2010, 04:26 PM   #6
Banned

Jitt_Da_Joker's Arena

OVR: 2

u shouldnt press too often... but it really depends on the qb if hes a scrambler put a cover one man and hot route a lb out of a zone into a spy and gameplan your pass d into coservative coverage and play your d end or safety hope that helps
Old 08-10-2010, 04:29 PM   #7
Rookie

mechbutcher's Arena

OVR: 5

Thats for all the input already, will try some out later. I guess being a madden convert adjusting to the different style of play on defense is harder than adjusting to playing offense.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:50 PM   #8
MVP

spit_bubble's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleacherCreature
Wouldn't the opposite work too? Move your DBs up tight to the line, in an attempt to throw off the receivers' routes, especially on a blitz?
It could, but you run the risk of getting beat long.

Of course it also depends on how long of a third and long we're talking about...

And then there's the issue of match ups, because if you have physical CBs then pressing will be more effective.

Generally speaking though it's good to just play it safe with your DBs on third and long, because you know they have to get to the marker... And it's just a matter of stopping them before they do, even if it means giving up a 6-8 yard play.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »