Home

Recruiting rules for better realism

This is a discussion on Recruiting rules for better realism within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-30-2003, 05:43 PM   #41
MVP

OVR: 5
Re: Recruiting rules for better realism

Recruiting Rules:

In State – Unlimited
Focus State – Chance to steal a couple of players out of another state which is in a region adjacent to your region. Example; Michigan going into Ohio’s backyard and robbing a couple of their kids.
Super Three – Texas, Florida, or California = the total limit is equal to your team's prestige (unlimited if school is in state)
Region – 4 + Team Prestige
National - Limit is according to team prestige as follows: 1 star = 1 player, 2-4 stars = 2 players, 5-6 stars = 3 players

There is unlimited recruiting of 2-star or worse prospects in a team's region which do not count towards their regional limit (so the regional limit can be used on targeting higher recruits). i.e., a 3-star team, even without any in-state prospects, could recruit up to 9 out of state prospects rated 3 stars or higher (3 in FL/TX/CA, 2 for other states, and 4 in the region) and fill the rest of the class size available with the unlimited 2-stars from the region.

Note that the limits for regional and FL/CA/TX recruiting are combined limits for all states in the region. So, if your limit for FL/CA/TX is 4 players, you can recruit a total of four from FL, CA, and TX combined, not 4 players from each.

Also, limits can be combined if they overlap: If for example you are a 4-star program in Georgia, you could recruit up to 14 players from Florida: 4 for your FL, CA, TX limit, plus 8 (4 + 4 stars) from your region limit (Florida is in the region), plus 2 from your other states limit.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-30-2003, 05:48 PM   #42
MVP

Sorry screwed up last post.

What do you think of this:

Keep the 10 regions of 5 states (exception New England with 6 and D.C. counting as state in Mid-Atlantic). Those its not perfect, it does reflect a more accurate version of regional recruiting. For example, Arkansas has sent only a few to Texas schools in recent years after joining the SEC, the same can be said for Louisiana to some extent. Arizona and Colorado both send and recruit heavily out of Texas.

Pacific West – Alaska, California, Hawaii, Oregon, Washington
Mountain West – Idaho, Montana, Nevada, Utah, Wyoming
Southwest – Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Texas
South Central – Arkansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Missouri, Tennessee
South East – Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Mississippi, South Carolina
Midwest – Iowa, Kansas, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota
North Central – Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Minnesota, Wisconsin
Mid–Atlantic – Delaware, Maryland, North Carolina, Virginia, Washington D.C.
North East – New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, West Virginia
New England – Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Vermont

Recruiting Rules:

In State – Unlimited
Focus State – Chance to steal a couple of players out of another state which is in a region adjacent to your region. Example; Michigan going into Ohio’s backyard and robbing their kids.
Super Three – Texas, Florida, or California = the total limit is equal to your team's prestige (unlimited if school is in state)
Region – 4 + Team Prestige
National - Limit is according to team prestige as follows: 1 star = 1 player, 2-4 stars = 2 players, 5-6 stars = 3 players

There is unlimited recruiting of 2-star or worse prospects in a team's region which do not count towards their regional limit (so the regional limit can be used on targeting higher recruits). i.e., a 3-star team, even without any in-state prospects, could recruit up to 9 out of state prospects rated 3 stars or higher (3 in FL/TX/CA, 2 for other states, and 4 in the region) and fill the rest of the class size available with the unlimited 2-stars from the region.

Note that the limits for regional and FL/CA/TX recruiting are combined limits for all states in the region. So, if your limit for FL/CA/TX is 4 players, you can recruit a total of four from FL, CA, and TX combined, not 4 players from each.

Also, limits can be combined if they overlap: If for example you are a 4-star program in Georgia, you could recruit up to 14 players from Florida: 4 for your FL, CA, TX limit, plus 8 (4 + 4 stars) from your region limit (Florida is in the region), plus 2 from your other states limit.

As far as Notre Dame and the academy schools, I agree that they can recruit from anywhere, though there will have to be some sort of limit for blue chip and four star recruits per week or else they will have very strong classes. As a start, I'd say if your school is one of those schools,for a start:

Target limits per week for Notre Dame and Academy Schools:

***** = team prestige (this means a 5 star Notre Dame or academy school can have at most 5 ***** recruits targeted in a given week)
**** = 2 + team prestige

Old 07-31-2003, 08:44 PM   #43
Pro

OVR: 11

One other thing that makes recruiting much easier is schedule, especially if you're an independent. You can have a 1* schedule with 4* prestige, go 11-1, and your prestige will continue to go up. Then you wind up with a ton of recruiting points as well as better interested prospets, even though you didn't really earn it. A 'house rule' for scheduling would be that your schedule must be no more than 1* lower than your prestige. That way you can't really load up on scrubs as easily.

It might not be possible to do that if you're 7* and playing in the WAC or something, but you can schedule some killer non-conference games to bring it up some.
Old 07-31-2003, 11:08 PM   #44
Rookie

OVR: 2

Heres a question... it says you may only recruit 8 prospects per week... no more... earlier it says "These are the numbers for the total allowed in the area and per week"... does that mean I can only sign 8 *****s, or am I misinterpreting it...
Old 07-31-2003, 11:19 PM   #45
MVP

Believe the maximum is 8***** players that you can RECRUIT per week. That is not the total amount of players you may sign.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-31-2003, 11:22 PM   #46
MVP

billharris44,

Yep I totally agree. Scheduling can build up prestige faster than recruiting in some cases. Your house rule is not a bad idea at all.
Old 08-01-2003, 04:28 PM   #47
Rookie

OVR: 2

The THIRD version Recruiting Spreadseet for MIKE's rules is now available in the rosters/download forum... please get at me with any suggestions... I plan I making a final one in the near future instead of just minor updates.

Im glad this many people were interested though, thanks.
Old 08-01-2003, 06:25 PM   #48
Rookie

OVR: 1

Per an earlier request, here is an organized version of the rules, along with some minor adjustments involving region assignments of a few states and the combination of the New England and Northeast region, which I have taken the time to layout and have available for download in Adobe Acrobat format.

This download requires Adobe Acrobat Reader.

RIght click here and choose "Save Target As..." to download the file.

Since this is the first formalized version, I may have left something out or missed grammatical errors. Please make note of anything you find in this thread. Thanks!

EDIT: Sorry, I took the URL out as there were some issues re-uploading a slight modification, but now it is fixed and ready for download.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »