Home

THE 5 WIDE OFFENSE

This is a discussion on THE 5 WIDE OFFENSE within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-16-2010, 12:33 AM   #1
Rookie

lccowboys's Arena

OVR: 3
HOW TO RUN THE 5 WIDE OFFENSE

Anyone remember the old days at University of Houston? If you run this offense correctly, you can rack up points in a hurry.

Disadvantages:
1.There is only 5 offensive lineman, so expect some pressure on your QB.
2****nning game might not be as effective as other game plans.
3.You NEED a dual threat QB.

Advantages:
1.Easy to read defenses.
2****nning up the middle can be effective.
3.Passing game is very efficient.

I use Missouri's playbook, ALOT of 5 wide, and that adorable quad formation.

Plays to remember:
QB blast
Bubble screen
Any sort of crossing route, or mesh
Four verticals
WR option
Stick(best play ever)
Curls
Drive
Other running plays

(AUDIBLE)The basic play is QB blast. Always keep this in an audible incase the defense comes out with only 3,4, or 5 in the box. If you do see the defense come out in that, audible to blast and slide protect aggressive (get blockers to second level). When you get hit ALWAYS hold protect ball(QBs are fumble prone).

PA Smash is a good play action play because it doesn't take long to fake the run and the routes are simple.

(AUDIBLE)Also keep a bubble screen play in your audible. If the defense comes out with 6-8 people in the box you can see lots of space to the outside. Hot route the non-playside slot receiver to a slant(encase man coverage). Throw it hot to the bubble unless you see the DE do a contain or something close to that. If you do see that, hit the slant.

Well now that they patched man coverage in patch #2, I was going to talk about beating the overpowered man coverage. Now its poo, but you should still keep defense in check every so often by running any crossing pattern or a mesh play (you can hot route 2 receivers to drags).

Another overpowered play, Four vert. You can always hit the seam route for 20 yards, but dont be a cheeser. Read the safeties, if they split look for the seam if they drop 1 or a cover 3 look for your outside receivers. Always good to use when you feel the defense is sleeping.

In the 5 wide, theres not alot of options in running the ball. QB blast, zone read (wr motion) and wr option. Zone read out of 5 wide is inconsistent, if they are blitzing you should expect a decent loss. WR option is a good play out of 5 wide because of the space you have created with 5 wide receivers. DO NOT hold the sprint button until you pitch the ball or turn it up field with your QB. Good to run every so often to keep defense off balance.

(AUDIBLE)Oh, the stick play. My favorite. The base passing play in 5 wide. In this play, first check the inside slot receiver doing the slant. If he follows him, hopefully you can hit for 7+ yards. If the DB jumps in front DONT THROW IT. Then check the outside slant(usually open if no safety help). Then the fly route encase a blitz. Now if they are in zone, you going to read the flat defender. If he jumps to the stick route, throw to the flat. If he runs to the flat, throw to the stick. Your progression should be slant, fly, flat read. (keep as audible)

The curl play can be good and bad. Too much cover 3 to cover the middle of the field will open up a curl. Hot route a slot receiver to a slant encase man coverage comes along. If you see man, throw the slant. If you see zone, look for the flat defender again. If he jumps to the flat receiver, curl should be open. If not, flat should be open. So your progression= slant, flat read.

Drive play is basically the shallow cross play. First read will be Dig route. If the defender blitzes, throw it HOT for a nice 1st down. If he doesn't, look for the drag. If linebacker jumps infront or you see zone by linebackers you should wait for dig route to cover the open space and hammer it in there. If all else fails, flat receiver should be open. Read= Hot, Drag, Dig, checkdown.

I have listed the plays that i use in the offense. You can always use more, but remember never to be too predictable. Run a balanced offense! Give the defense a HARD TIME. Remember to always do hurry up, and switch between 5 wide formations while doing so.

My favorite playbook for 5 wide is Mizzou. They have 6 different 5 wide playbooks. Your decision, but i recommend the Zoo.

Best team to run 5 wide (without cheesing with Pryor) would be Penn State. Kevin Newsome has 91 speed with 85 throwing power and throw accuracy. Two 90 rated receivers with 92 and 93 speed, one being 6'5. Powerful offensive line for that SWEET QB blast play.

PLAYBOOKS WITH VARIETY OF 5 WIDE: (PLEASE COMMENT MORE)
Mizzou
Mid Tennessee State
Louisville
Cincinatti
Rice
Wyoming
Florida
NCAAB:West Virginia
MLB: Texas Rangers

Last edited by lccowboys; 08-16-2010 at 01:31 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-16-2010, 12:55 AM   #2
Banned

OVR: 6
Re: THE 5 WIDE OFFENSE

would you have a 5 WR defense since you can execute the offense?
how would you go about shutting down your own 5 WR if you knew what was coming for the most part play by play route by route adjustment by adjustment?
Old 08-16-2010, 01:01 AM   #3
Rookie

lccowboys's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homerunhittas
would you have a 5 WR defense since you can execute the offense?
how would you go about shutting down your own 5 WR if you knew what was coming for the most part play by play route by route adjustment by adjustment?
Good Question.
Well if i was going against someone who used this offense, I would always keep a MLB spy to keep the QB blast to a maximum of 3-4 yards. Should set defensive gameplan on QB to aggressive. The key to DEFENDING this offense is to know whats coming. Obviously there is a limit of what you can do with 1 person in the backfield.
Old 08-16-2010, 01:03 AM   #4
Rookie

seawolves9's Arena

OVR: 7

Awesome breakdown of how to run this effectively.. Another playbook to look at would be Middle Tennessee State. They have quite a few 5 wide sets as well.
Old 08-16-2010, 01:12 AM   #5
Rookie

lccowboys's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by seawolves9
Awesome breakdown of how to run this effectively.. Another playbook to look at would be Middle Tennessee State. They have quite a few 5 wide sets as well.
Thanks for the heads up. Ill check it out and put it on my 5 wide list.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-16-2010, 01:23 AM   #6
Banned

OVR: 6

how would you go about stopping the Stick play?
Old 08-16-2010, 01:24 AM   #7
Rookie

seawolves9's Arena

OVR: 7

Louisville, Cincinatti, Rice, Wyoming and Florida all have 4 or more 5 wide formations for those looking.
Old 08-16-2010, 01:25 AM   #8
MVP

BlastX21's Arena

OVR: 16

I believe Cincinatti has five 5 WR formations. They're also a great team to use this offense with, since they have Collaros and great receivers.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »