Home

Franchise players lacking weight

This is a discussion on Franchise players lacking weight within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-16-2010, 03:26 AM   #1
Pro

BraveHeart's Arena

OVR: 3
Franchise players lacking weight

Why are most of the cpu-created players severely undersized (weight). It's wierd seeing a 6'4" (and up) struggle to get up to 250 (which is somewhat undersized for a D1 defensive end). I see plenty of Linebackers that are under 220.

What I'm trying to get at here is, maybe EA should give us the option to change the weights for players. Unlike height, it has no effect in gameplay at all (since there's no physics and such). It always feels wrong when you have one of the best OT's in the game, but he weighs only 277 and is a redshirt Sr.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-16-2010, 04:20 AM   #2
Banned

OVR: 32
Re: Franchise players lacking weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveHeart
Why are most of the cpu-created players severely undersized (weight). It's wierd seeing a 6'4" (and up) struggle to get up to 250 (which is somewhat undersized for a D1 defensive end). I see plenty of Linebackers that are under 220.

What I'm trying to get at here is, maybe EA should give us the option to change the weights for players. Unlike height, it has no effect in gameplay at all (since there's no physics and such). It always feels wrong when you have one of the best OT's in the game, but he weighs only 277 and is a redshirt Sr.
Being 250 pounds is actually pretty big for an incoming freshman (talking about DE's here). Look at a lot of the team's commit lists from last year. Most of the DE's are below 250 pounds. Washington recruited and landed four DE's in last year's recruiting class (Josh Shirley, Andrew Hudson, Hau'oli Jamora and Brent Williams). The heaviest of the four is Jamora at 230 pounds.

Don't get me wrong, I realize a lot of incoming HS DE's are heavier than 250, but I'd be willing to bet that most are under 250. These kids are still developing and putting on weight. It's not as uncommon as you think.

Same goes with LB's. You'd be hard pressed to find a lot of incoming LB's weighing between 225-245 pounds. A lot of them are coming in at 215 or 220.

I do agree though about giving us full customization capabilities even inside of a dynasty. There really should be no reason at all why we shouldn't have it. I can see why not in an online dynasty but not an offline one.
Old 08-16-2010, 04:27 AM   #3
MVP

thedudedominick's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostle
Being 250 pounds is actually pretty big for an incoming freshman (talking about DE's here). Look at a lot of the team's commit lists from last year. Most of the DE's are below 250 pounds. Washington recruited and landed four DE's in last year's recruiting class (Josh Shirley, Andrew Hudson, Hau'oli Jamora and Brent Williams). The heaviest of the four is Jamora at 230 pounds.

Don't get me wrong, I realize a lot of incoming HS DE's are heavier than 250, but I'd be willing to bet that most are under 250. These kids are still developing and putting on weight. It's not as uncommon as you think.

Same goes with LB's. You'd be hard pressed to find a lot of incoming LB's weighing between 225-245 pounds. A lot of them are coming in at 215 or 220.

I do agree though about giving us full customization capabilities even inside of a dynasty. There really should be no reason at all why we shouldn't have it. I can see why not in an online dynasty but not an offline one.

With this in mind I came up with an idea to add depth for dynasty. Setting ideal playing weights for the positions you want to. Guys would add weight in the off season, but if your goal is too heavy some will lose their athleticism. Just an idea.

I do think though at the least, have freshman gain more weight after a year on campus working out with the big boys to get closer to the realistic playing weights. Although a majority of the players in the country at DE are going to be 250 or below with the amount of spread offenses. It just doesn't make sense to have a larger DE unless he is just a freak athlete. Same with linebackers. Guys that are between 250-270 are few and far between now. There will usually be one guy on a team who is bigger then the other guys more hybrid type players playing anywhere between 215 and 230 so they can cover the spread as well as stop the run.
MLB: Chicago Cubs
Old 08-16-2010, 06:32 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 4

Absolutely. I don't know how many Run Stuffing DT recruits i see coming in at the weight of 265 and below!!! Ridiculous... In fact i will pass on those guys and just look for guys in the 290-305 lb range -- even if they are only 3 star recruits compared to 4 stars at the lighter weight.
Old 08-16-2010, 02:30 PM   #5
Rookie

skeezapleez's Arena

OVR: 2

I got a 4* DE that came in at 6', 208 pounds.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-16-2010, 02:43 PM   #6
Pro

I had a 4* DE come in at 6'4" 196 lbs and hd a strength of 89. He was an immovable object.
Old 08-16-2010, 03:25 PM   #7
Sic 'em Bears!

BaylorBearBryant's Arena

OVR: 10

I recruit based off weight like one previous poster said.

Baylor Bears - Texans - Astros - Rockets - Avalanche

Follow me on Twitch: twitch.tv/osovideo
Old 08-16-2010, 05:32 PM   #8
Pro

BraveHeart's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostle

I'm not talking about incoming freshman, I'm talking about the finished product.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »