Home

Is Read Option Broken?

This is a discussion on Is Read Option Broken? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-16-2010, 02:04 PM   #1
Rookie

lccowboys's Arena

OVR: 3
Is Read Option Broken?

Well i thought because of EA really focusing on teams philosophies that the read option would work well. I play on heisman and get inconsistent amount of yardage. Is it broken? Or is there a trick too it?
NCAAB:West Virginia
MLB: Texas Rangers
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-16-2010, 02:15 PM   #2
Rookie

bdawgdude's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Is Read Option Broken?

It's worked fine for me. You have to read the guy that is NOT getting blocked (I think it's the DE that the QB is supposed to run towards). If he stays put, hand it off. If he runs into the backfield, keep it.
Old 08-16-2010, 02:19 PM   #3
Rookie

lccowboys's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdawgdude
It's worked fine for me. You have to read the guy that is NOT getting blocked (I think it's the DE that the QB is supposed to run towards). If he stays put, hand it off. If he runs into the backfield, keep it.
I know how to run it. But it is not as effective in game as in real life. I see WVU running this play alot and get a decent amount of yards with it. I think it may be the blocking.
Old 08-16-2010, 02:23 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 4

I'm running with Oregon and I have a hard time with it as well. So much so I've pretty much abandonded it. I have a hard time running out of the gun in general. It's wierd, its like the player are stuck there for a min too slow out of the box. And the d-penetration just blows anything up back there.
Old 08-16-2010, 02:25 PM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lccowboys
Well i thought because of EA really focusing on teams philosophies that the read option would work well. I play on heisman and get inconsistent amount of yardage. Is it broken? Or is there a trick too it?
I feel your pain. I think it may have a lot to do with blitzing LB's & DB's. If there is a regular front with no blitzing players then it works just fine. When you add the element of blitzing then it messes up the blocking assignments. I've gone into practice mode and ran it against random plays from certain formations and the only time I can get yards is if there is no blitz. Sliders do nothing for this, unless someone knows something that I dont.
<----- Just because it was there
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-16-2010, 02:26 PM   #6
Rookie

And I refuse to play on Varsity. So that may be an option if you dont want competion while you play.
Old 08-16-2010, 02:28 PM   #7
Rookie

lccowboys's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romeclone
I'm running with Oregon and I have a hard time with it as well. So much so I've pretty much abandoned it. I have a hard time running out of the gun in general. It's weird, its like the player are stuck there for a min too slow out of the box. And the d-penetration just blows anything up back there.
Yep same here. I have completely abandoned it because of the inconsistent yardage. Guess ill have to abuse load option to get anything realistic.
Old 08-16-2010, 02:30 PM   #8
Rookie

lccowboys's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agency4Ever
I feel your pain. I think it may have a lot to do with blitzing LB's & DB's. If there is a regular front with no blitzing players then it works just fine. When you add the element of blitzing then it messes up the blocking assignments. I've gone into practice mode and ran it against random plays from certain formations and the only time I can get yards is if there is no blitz. Sliders do nothing for this, unless someone knows something that I dont.
<----- Just because it was there
That probably is the reason. In a real read option, lineman are supposed to control a GAP not a player. They should block away from the ball, with playside hand off defender to pick up any linebackers. I just dont see it here. Blitzing blows it up.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »