Home

Terrible Clock Management AI Needs to be Fixed

This is a discussion on Terrible Clock Management AI Needs to be Fixed within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-20-2010, 08:56 AM   #1
Banned

OVR: 7
Location: Cherry Hill, NJ or New Brunswick, NJ depending on the season.
Terrible Clock Management AI Needs to be Fixed

I don't see this mentioned here all that often (it does get mentioned, but rarely brought into the spotlight), but the end of half clock management by the CPU is downright terrible.

1. I have seen the CPU call a timeout with 2:01 remaining in the half multiple times. Really? Could you make it any more obvious that you are stealing the code from Madden lol? Gotta get a play in before that two minute warning... oh wait..

2. It is very obvious that the CPU calls its timeouts at set times. These are: 2:01 (see above ), 1:00, and 0:05. Sometimes the CPU will finish a play with 1:10 left, not call a timeout, come out of the huddle, go to the line, and then call a timeout with exactly 1:00 remaining. Obviously, this makes no sense. If you wanted to call the timeout, you would do it right after the play, not let the clock tick down first..

3. The CPU does not know whether it wants to run the clock out or go for a score. Very often I will see the CPU get the ball with, say, 45 seconds left in the half in their own territory. They will then run the ball up the middle, presumably attempting to run out the clock. But, then they will call a timeout... Occasionally they will do this three times, punt the ball back to the user, and the user will have time to score..

4. The CPU will have the ball in the redzone, or very close to scoring, with like 1:45 left in the half. They would easily have time to score without burning their timeouts, and leave less time for the user to score after they kick the ball back to then. But, they will run one play and then call a timeout, even if they are on like the eight yard-line. This leads to the user getting extra time to score.

I really like this game. I even really liked NCAA 10, which I know a lot of people here thought was bad. This is far from a game-killer. However, it does take away from the immersion, and artificially makes the game easier for the user, and really should be addressed for NCAA 12.

Also, the 2:01 timeout in a college football game... UGH
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-20-2010, 09:37 AM   #2
Rookie

EZ Esquire's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: Terrible Clock Management AI Needs to be Fixed

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyphan1990
I don't see this mentioned here all that often (it does get mentioned, but rarely brought into the spotlight), but the end of half clock management by the CPU is downright terrible.

3. The CPU does not know whether it wants to run the clock out or go for a score. Very often I will see the CPU get the ball with, say, 45 seconds left in the half in their own territory. They will then run the ball up the middle, presumably attempting to run out the clock. But, then they will call a timeout... Occasionally they will do this three times, punt the ball back to the user, and the user will have time to score..
I hate this one too. They always come out an run the ball, call time out and then run it again.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:03 AM   #3
Banned

gators_352's Arena

OVR: 5

I just pretend its Les Miles on the opposing sideline. Doesn't seem that odd anymore.

Old 08-20-2010, 10:29 AM   #4

Deegeezy's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by gators_352
I just pretend its Les Miles on the opposing sideline. Doesn't seem that odd anymore.

This was pretty funny.

COACH GEEZY IN THE BIG EASY PART III: LEGACY | FROM BOURBON ST. TO THE BAYOU
Old 08-20-2010, 12:51 PM   #5
Rookie

Lavar's Arena

OVR: 3

Although not totally along your lines I too have a big gripe about clock management.

The cpu/ai has no clue about time of possession. Every team comes out of the huddle at the 30 second mark on the playclock, they normal snap the ball at the 25-22 seconds thus not using about 20 seconds, your lucky that this year they may fake hike every now and then.

I watched one of my dvd's the other day of Texas Tech vs Texas. Tech as we all know ran a no huddle aggressive pass system, yet even with the no huddle they still took their time to line up bark out signals and make adjustments. Not once did I see them snap the ball with more than 15 seconds on the play clock, alot of times it was under 10 before the snap. But in this game everything is a hurry up.

The no-huddle offense is usually employed as part of a hurry-up offense, but it is not necessarily an attempt to snap the ball quicker. Rather, the lack of huddle allows the offense to threaten to snap the ball quickly, denying the defending team time to substitute players and communicate effectively between coaches and players.

What the cpu/ai is running is a 2 minute offense not a no huddle offense there is a difference.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-20-2010, 02:31 PM   #6

Deegeezy's Arena

OVR: 15

I hate the fact that no time runs out off of the clock while the CPU is calling its play. In the old PS2 games, the game clock would run for a good 5 to 8 seconds PRIOR to the artificial 8 second clock given to the user to pick their defensive play.

This would be a small way to help balance T.O.P. (since it works this way for the user) while also giving the user just a little more time to make their defensive package adjustments.

COACH GEEZY IN THE BIG EASY PART III: LEGACY | FROM BOURBON ST. TO THE BAYOU
Old 08-20-2010, 02:43 PM   #7
Rookie

AubOrange's Arena

OVR: 1

Agreed, on all of them.

And when they call timeout with 0:05 left in the half to get a field goal in, no matter how long the field go is or whether they make it or miss it, there is always 0:01 left for you to have to go through a useless kick off or play.
Old 08-20-2010, 03:21 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 2

AI clock management is definitely the weakest part of the game. It isn't a deal breaker, but like you said, it definitely needs to be addressed.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »