Home

Finally returned a punt for a TD, 2 in one game actually.

This is a discussion on Finally returned a punt for a TD, 2 in one game actually. within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-23-2010, 01:28 PM   #9
In Dalton I Trust

Buckeyes_Doc's Arena

OVR: 32
Re: Finally returned a punt for a TD, 2 in one game actually.

I'm horrible at returning punts, I'm lucky if I get over 10 yards.

I've returned 3 kickoffs though, well 2. One was called back for holding.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:57 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 5

No returns here. Zero. Nada. And none even close. I'm lucky to get 5 yards on PR, and make it past the 20 on KR. Same goes for the CPU vs me. Very frustrating. If possible, I wish EA would address this with a tuner fix or patch. I understand that big returns are and should be rare occurances, but they DO and should occur once in a while . . . .

Then again, maybe my stick skills are simply lacking.
Old 08-23-2010, 02:01 PM   #11
Banned

swhyte21's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlef316
i've gotten a few (all american) as well as 7 or 8 Kick off returns (have to catch the ball with a running start to accomplish this).

The PR is just so difficult though. 95% of the time, your blockers totally whiff on the gunners. Plus, it seems like the gunners cover the last 20 yards in about 1/2 a second. So there are a lot of times where i catch the ball thinking i have 10 yards of space, but all 4 of my blockers whiff and i get rocked.

I may have to try the running start on punt returns. But i imagine it will be a lot more difficult to time.
I've gotten 4 or 5 but never try the running start... I always mess it up. But any time I have returned a kickoff, it was untouched with the same big hole on the left side of the field.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-23-2010, 02:05 PM   #12
Banned

swhyte21's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by murph3733
I still have yet to return a punt! what return formation do you guys use to return one?
I used return middle. Where ever the first gunner was blocked, I went to that side, and watched the defenders flow to that side of the field, and looked for a cut back lane through them. You usually will have one guy to make miss and then head for the sideline.
Old 08-23-2010, 02:52 PM   #13
MVP

Spanky's Arena

OVR: 22

43 games, one kickoff return for a TD and no punt returns for a TD, probably no PR longer than 15 yards. At least I'm not getting hammered right when I catch the ball anymore. I switched to a different formation, I think it's called punt return block or something like that. Your return team blocks the kicking team at the line of scrimmage instead of falling back. It leaves a lot of open field when you catch the ball, but the defenders close it quickly. Still. it's good for 10-15 yards every time.

"What? You can't challenge a scoring play?''
Old 08-23-2010, 04:07 PM   #14
MVP

OVR: 9

In my very first game in dynasty I had a kick off return for a TD... and I thought "Well, looks like they're not impossible this year."

And four seasons later, I've yet to break the 35, I think.
My strategy on punt returns is that I _know_ that I'm not going to get a touchdown or any lengthy return, and rather than risk getting blown up and fumbling, I usually pick the punt block or punt block man-return. That makes the CPU come out in the extra blockers formation (proof of psychic AI btw, that they always come out in the formation that matches your formation on special teams), and then they always out-kick their coverers or kick it out of bounds. Because they out kick their cover guys, you can get a solid 10 - 15 yards and run out of bounds or dive to the ground before risking the fumble.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:33 PM   #15
Banned

OVR: 9

I ran a punt back 60 yards for a TD once, only to have it called back for clipping 35 yards down field. I was angry, I was on the 10 by the time the FLAG icon showed up and I ended up getting the ball on the +40, which means the flag was on the +25.

Where is the BS chant when you need it?

Haven't been close since then, I fair catch more than I attempt to return. I've even started just playing base defense on punts and letting them bounce, the bigger threat vs. humans is someone going for it or faking it than maybe returning it 5 yards.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-23-2010, 09:23 PM   #16
Rookie

Jpowser's Arena

OVR: 5

Anybody have any suggestion for kickoffs and punts? Would love some help?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »