Home

what is the best D to run against the pass

This is a discussion on what is the best D to run against the pass within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-02-2010, 06:38 AM   #9
Pro

OVR: 9
Re: what is the best D to run against the pass

Yeah, I actually did okay pre-patch with man defense. I would often hold teams to 50% or so passing, but since the patch, the computer is usually 70%+ on me. It's no robo-QB, but during some stretches it feels like it.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:36 AM   #10
Pro

Heyuimintojsus's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelers1
Yeah, I actually did okay pre-patch with man defense. I would often hold teams to 50% or so passing, but since the patch, the computer is usually 70%+ on me. It's no robo-QB, but during some stretches it feels like it.
They are against me! I would have beaten the CPU in one of my games - even on Heisman - but completing 17 of 20 passes, there's something wrong there, and it's not all my defense.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:00 PM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 6

Pressure, pressure, pressure. I play CPU only and I blitz the heck out of them, probably somewhere between 60-75% of the time I'm blitzing. In all honesty I think a lot has to do with the ratings of your players. I could be wrong but I play an offline dynasty with Middle Tennessee State and neglected to recruit any corners that can play and it's a bitch stopping the pass. I play another offline franchise though co-op with my friend, we've brought Arkansas State to a 5* school. We have two corners with man coverages upwards of 88 and the CPU has a hard time throwing the ball on us.

I do agree though about the safeties. It seems they get beat too often on streaks from the slot receivers because they run up to the line of scrimmage and can't turn quick enough to stay with the receivers. Maybe that has something to do with play recognition? I haven't really checked that rating.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-02-2010, 01:31 PM   #12
Rookie

EZ Esquire's Arena

OVR: 1

Part of the problem with pass D are the safeties. Play any kind of Zone, even a Cover 2 with pressing CB and the Safeties drop back to far.

Slants work because the Safeties are 40 yards back 2 seconds after the snap.

Play 43, Nick or Dime Cover 2. Press. Manually bring the safeties up. Within 5 yards in fine but I bring them to the line sometimes.

While they drop back they are right in line with the Slants.

You will not get beat deep either. The press slows them up and they will be a step ahead if the press does not work.

It also helps with the run.
Old 09-02-2010, 02:25 PM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZ Esquire
Play 43, Nick or Dime Cover 2. Press. Manually bring the safeties up. Within 5 yards in fine but I bring them to the line sometimes.
Interesting. You do this with man coverage as well, like 2 deep man? Do your safeties get much in the way of picks or deflections like this? I have a killer strong safety but I find that he's so deep most of the time that he's not in play except on deep passes, which the CPU avoids.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:11 PM   #14
Rookie

burter's Arena

OVR: 6

Could try fake show blitz, that brings the safeties up to the line. But if you're playing user control person they might see this and try a streak to beat u deep because your safeties are behind the Dline. But against the cpu you can do it because they hardly try to throw deep, or if they do by the time they decide to your safety is back there to help. You don't want to do that if they are doing man to man unless they are covering a TE or RB.

Quotes lines from Mr. Schwarzenegger
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDxn0...eature=related

How to not get your a** kicked by the police.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=uj0mtxXEGE8#!
Old 09-03-2010, 01:16 AM   #15
MVP

BlastX21's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewart#28
I have a thread below, but got no response...I run 4-2-5....what are the best man coverage against the pass when they go 4 and 5 WR sets...what blitz's are you finding the most luck with...just played a guy and the slot WR on 4/5 wide was so freaking over it was a joke....both streaks and slants? need a really good man coverage package....
Alright 4-2-5 is the best formation in the game at getting pressure but against 4 WR you're honestly better off running a "coin" package or 3-3-5. If you pay close attention, the reason 4-2-5 gets shredded against 4 WR is because the guys who are supposed to be covering the slot guys are out of position. Rather than be over the receivers pre-snap, linebackers tend to be in the box above an offensive lineman. Safeties assigned to a slot tend to be way back deep before the snap. So when they snap the ball they are not only getting a free release but they also are already separated from the cover man which makes for easy big gains.

In my experience with it 4-2-5 is best against pro teams or cheesers. Cheesers rely on having time to throw but 4-2-5 makes this very unlikely. If you're facing someone who you know is a good natural passes I would stay away from it.
If you do use it then you can call pretty much whatever you want most of the time, but in 3rd and long or any obvious passing situation go with a coin package (nickel, dime, etc) so you avoid the problem described earlier.

Hope that helps a bit.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-03-2010, 12:35 PM   #16
Rookie

EZ Esquire's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalecooper
Interesting. You do this with man coverage as well, like 2 deep man? Do your safeties get much in the way of picks or deflections like this? I have a killer strong safety but I find that he's so deep most of the time that he's not in play except on deep passes, which the CPU avoids.
Yeah. In the Cover 2 everyone is man but the safeties.

Most of the Safeties picks come from trying to go deep thinking it is a safety blitz. Because they drop back right away they often run into the path of the ball like they are the WR.

The deep safeties are a big part of the problem. I started doing this way back because I couldn't take my safetis being 40 yards away on a 5 yard pass.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »