Home

Animations

This is a discussion on Animations within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-26-2010, 07:06 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 9
Animations

Assuming EA doesn't go to a complete physics engine and they insist on basing their game on canned animations, which new animations would like to see? They always talk about new tackle animations (and really you can never have enough of those) but I feel like just about everything could use some new visual life. Heres a few I would like to see:

Catching: More importantly dropped catches. There are really no actual "drop the ball" animations and i would love to see recivers bobble the ball and have the animation branch when a defender hitsticks him and have him drop/catch depending on rating. As it is now the drop catches clip to fast to a different animation and it just looks akward, just have a different fluid drop animation and be done with it. Also have the offensive player more aggressive when going for the catch, this leads me to me next point.

WR/DB's: They added a few this year when the reciver catches the ball and the DB hits him in the air, but this, like tackles, should be a duel animation just about every contested catch, not just a select few. Fly routes should have the WR jumping and going for the ball over the DB's back if it is under thrown, jump balls in the endzone should be a fight for the ball in the air, and like said before a bobbled ball should be an opening to lay the lumber on a helpless reciver.

Penalties: Yes, they show holding, clipping and facemask, but this is what we all want to see: the reciver runs a slant to the midle of the field, the QB throws, its batted down by the DB, but wait....you can clearly see his off hand wrapped around the recivers back, pass interference on the defence...automatic first down! Add several of these and I guarentee people will be happy!

This site is a great source of information and creativity for the devs to see, so I would be cuious to see what new animations you guys would add!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-26-2010, 07:28 PM   #2
MVP

Pokes404's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: Animations

If they aren't going to go to a physics system for tackles/collisions, they need to make EVERY tackle in the game be able to branch into a double-team tackle. I'm so tired of seeing four defenders fall at the ballcarrier's feet just because he's already locked into a single tackle animation. Allowing at least one more defender to get involved with the tackle would help quite a bit (although I'm still holding out for some kind of physics system). At the very least it would eliminate instances where the ballcarrier went into a break tackle animation, 3 defenders fall to the ground without even trying to make a tackle, and the ballcarrier takes off for a long gain or TD.

The locomotion system overall feels pretty good (it could certainly still use some tweaks) but things tend to look jerky and robotic. They need to add new animations for foot planting and for when you make cuts. There's still too much "skating" going on in the game. I'd also like them to add some upper-body leans when you make cuts to make things look a little more natural.

And lastly, they need to add in new "win" and "loss" animations for OL/DL interactions. A win for a offensive lineman doesn't automatically mean he puts a guy on his back, and a win for defensive lineman doesn't mean he throws the blocker to the side and gets a clear run at the QB/RB. There needs to be more "dynamic blocks" where one side is clearly winning but the other guy is still jostling and fighting the guy. The best example I can think of this is when a tackle blocks a defensive end and drives him toward the sideline, but the defensive end is still churning his legs and trying to get off the block. Even though he's getting beat, he's not completely out of the play. If they had more of these kinds of animations (most importantly for the DT/OG interactions because almost all of their interactions are complete win, stalemate at the line of scrimmage, or total loss) I think you'd see a much more dynamic, realistic, and fun blocking system.
Old 09-26-2010, 07:53 PM   #3
MVP

Kaiser Wilhelm's Arena

OVR: 8

Actual tackle animations please. All of the current ones are garbage because they just look plain stupid. I would like to see the average, not very exciting, not gonna make a highlight reel ever, boring but effective tackle.

And more mid air collisions that take into account direction and speed. Animations that dont start when a defender has his back turned and then randomly initiates an upward tackle when already himself on the way down. If you havnt seen this animation consider yourself lucky.

An animation that interupts a catch animation at any point.

The removal of just about every broken tackle animation. Better "juke" animations, preferrably one that doesn't juke out 5 defenders.

Better locomotion. When a guy cuts upfield I'd like to see him slow down, rather than what happens now which is speeduplungecatchovermiddleturnupfield catch. (no spaces is intentional)

No canned animations please!!!!!!
Old 09-26-2010, 08:24 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokes404

And lastly, they need to add in new "win" and "loss" animations for OL/DL interactions. A win for a offensive lineman doesn't automatically mean he puts a guy on his back, and a win for defensive lineman doesn't mean he throws the blocker to the side and gets a clear run at the QB/RB. There needs to be more "dynamic blocks" where one side is clearly winning but the other guy is still jostling and fighting the guy. The best example I can think of this is when a tackle blocks a defensive end and drives him toward the sideline, but the defensive end is still churning his legs and trying to get off the block. Even though he's getting beat, he's not completely out of the play. If they had more of these kinds of animations (most importantly for the DT/OG interactions because almost all of their interactions are complete win, stalemate at the line of scrimmage, or total loss) I think you'd see a much more dynamic, realistic, and fun blocking system.

I hate to bring up "that other game" but in APF they had that reach takle thing, where if, say, you were a DE and engaged in a block and the running back came buy you, you would flick (or hold) the right stick and it would act like his arm, sometimes you could grab or slow down the back, other times he just went by. Point is he could still make a play while engaged which was nice.
Old 09-26-2010, 08:49 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 25
Location: Far far away from the vultures and snakes that reside in the united states.

They need to add reach tackle animations. Thats very important. The trucking animation where the defender flys up and off of his feet absolutely must be removed. I cant think of a situation where I should see that, especially when it involves a little scat back. Just shouldn't be happening.

If they have a vast library of animations, they should make it so that different animations are selected more often. As it stands now, the same animations play out too often.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »