Home

Recruiting philosophy?

This is a discussion on Recruiting philosophy? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-10-2010, 08:20 PM   #1
Rookie

QBKILLAR's Arena

OVR: 0
Recruiting philosophy?

I'm thinking of changing my D to a 3-3-5 and was wondering about my LB's. Here is what I am thinking. Just recruiting big safties over 200 lbs to for speed and coverage (man and zone). I think if I turn down my big hits to conservative for sure tackles that would also help. Has anyone ever tried this and if so did it work? Thanks and any other info is always welcome.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-10-2010, 08:26 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 6
Re: Recruiting philosophy?

yeah, i haven't switched to a 3-3-5 but i have switched safeties to linebackers.

It is a great switch because usually you are getting a faster guy with better coverage ability and the only downside is they are not as good of tacklers as linebackers.
Old 10-10-2010, 08:32 PM   #3
Rookie

QBKILLAR's Arena

Yeah I was a little worried about the tackleing but with the outside run being hard to stop and the crossing routes I thought the speed would make up for the missed tackles. And if I cant atleast slow the ball carrier down others can make the play
Old 10-10-2010, 10:03 PM   #4
Banned

cr00v's Arena

OVR: 4

I definitely need to do something. I'm absolutely sick of getting burned over the middle. I'm thinking I need to go with the 4-2-5, but the times I've practiced it against the CPU, I have failed. I need some tips or something because I still consider myself a defensive player.
Old 10-10-2010, 11:10 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 15

In a 3-4, you need to recruit fast defensive ends to play as one of your outside linebackers.

In a 4-2-5 or 3-3-5, you need to recruit fast, coverage linebackers to play as your nickelback.

All-in-all, a lot depends on what conference you're playing in and how much your opponents will be running/passing the ball. At the same time, you need to play to your personnel's strength.

Just as you wouldn't run a triple-option offense with a pocket passing QB, no FB, and pass-blocking linemen, you shouldn't run a 3-3-5 with 4-3 personnel.

In a 4-3, I like balanced DTs and pass rushing DEs, with balanced LBs. But in a 3-3-5, I need all three D-linemen to be run-stoppers while my nickelback and linebackers take turns blitzing. But either way in the 3-3-5, your box is pretty empty so you need good d-linemen to stop the run.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-11-2010, 01:34 PM   #6
Rookie

QBKILLAR's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo27
Just as you wouldn't run a triple-option offense with a pocket passing QB, no FB, and pass-blocking linemen, you shouldn't run a 3-3-5 with 4-3 personnel.
I learned that the hard way last night bro. Wish I would have put a little more thought into switching to a 3-3-5 with my Ms. State D (4-3) in my online dynasty. Played the CPU and their RB ran over me early and often. Lost the game because of it. Stopping the CPU run has never been a problem for me until last night because of the changes I had made.
Old 10-11-2010, 02:21 PM   #7
Banned

cr00v's Arena

OVR: 4

great info, pogo. I wish people would indulge more about the 4-2-5. I've been using the 3-4 and 4-3 since Blitz 98, but this game has forced me to change my defense entirely since I can only seem to stop the scrubs. It seems like you'd need:

4 run stopping DL
2 coverage LB
2 coverage FS?
3 coverage CB?

help me out here. would this be successful?
Old 10-11-2010, 02:29 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by QBKILLAR
Just recruiting big safties over 200 lbs to for speed and coverage (man and zone).
dont worry about size as NCAA doesnt factor in size of the player. There have been people that have taken ATH that are 6'1", 180 pounds that are strong and used them at DE's to run over and run around OL.

Just look at their strength and tackling ability

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »