Home

So whats the point of a pass rush?

This is a discussion on So whats the point of a pass rush? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-26-2010, 08:52 AM   #25
MVP

OVR: 34
Re: So whats the point of a pass rush?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo27
1) If you control the DL improperly, you will get pancaked every time by any player. You're almost certainly trying to make moves too early. Unfortunately, the game does a bad job of simulating the occasions where defensive players are allowed through the middle of the line completely untouched, as will sometimes happen in real life. However, if you're using your D-Line moves properly, it's not that tough to get through the O-Line.

2) Ignore overall ratings. An LT with extremely high ratings in pass black areas but extremely low ratings in run block areas could easily be an 80 overall and be pancaking most players often on passing plays (where you're most concerned with penetration and getting to the QB). Moreover, a DLinemen can easily have a 92 OVR without much ratings in the way of power/finesse moves, the moves that determine his ability to get by the o-linemen and avoid being pancaked. Plus...you might be doing the wrong type of moves. Maybe you're trying to finesse with a power dlinemen or power with a finesse dlinemen. Point is... ignore overall ratings. Look at the individual categories.

DING DING DING!!! Give this man a prize!

I was scratching my head, wondering why my 5th year senior, speed rushing DE, was getting handled by a true freshman 77 overall RT.

I spied his ratings, and sure enough, he had 85 ratings in pass block strength, and pass block footwork.

his run blocking was only in the 70's and his awareness rating was low.

Also, what kind of DE or DT you have is key.

Run Plugging defensive linemen, are going to have high strength, and blockshed ratings (run defense), and lower finesse/power move ratings(pass rush moves)

Pass rush DL's the opposite will hold true.

You can test this by looking at the grades of the players that you recruit.

Run Stuffing DLs, will almost always have higher grades for block shed & strengths, then they do for finesse or power moves. Pass rushers, the opposite.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-26-2010, 10:31 AM   #26
Rookie

sleepyeagle's Arena

OVR: 3

I'm not great at controlling the d-line, but I noticed that if I control a linebacker or safety and take away the short throws, my line has more time and gets way more pressure.

Usually if I control a lineman, the QB is able to dump it off on the short route before I get to him, but if I manually take that guy out of the picture, my secondary is pretty good at covering the outsides of the field. I have a pretty bad defense, but doing this I can usually still get 2+ sacks per game.
Old 10-26-2010, 01:28 PM   #27
Rookie

EZ Esquire's Arena

OVR: 1

You want some perspective.

In real life…

Bama beat Duke a several weeks ago.

Duke threw the ball about 42 times. Bama had one sack.

The game can be frustrating but they TRY and make it realistic. To prevent you from having 12 sacks a game the QB will make some amazing throws or throw it into the ground. I get about 5 of those a game.

Controlling the DE is a lesson in patience. I get so close so many times and may only get one sack that game. With a few tweaks of the sliders I could probably get a few more but I think it is good just like this. My average DE should not lead the NCAA in sacks. One day I will recruit a stud at DE and sacks will go up.

If you want more sacks simply adjust the game…your choice.

If you want some realism then find a setting that works for you but keep in mind what real is when it becomes frustrating.

But don’t say the game is broken…
Old 10-26-2010, 01:43 PM   #28
Hall Of Fame

Playmakers's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucas005
For comparison most teams average 2 or less sacks a game. A lot of people seem to think you should put constant pressure and have at least 1 sack each defensive series. That just doesn't happen in real life.

http://www.teamrankings.com/college-...sacks-per-game
Interesting stats.....

I think the key is just being able to get pressure because most of these kids are taught to get rid of the ball early.

I think the game is very well balanced between gettings sacks vs applying pressure the best it's been in years IMO

Follow some the Greatest College Football players of All Time in NCAA Football 14
Old 10-26-2010, 02:17 PM   #29
MVP

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playmakers
Interesting stats.....

I think the key is just being able to get pressure because most of these kids are taught to get rid of the ball early.

I think the game is very well balanced between gettings sacks vs applying pressure the best it's been in years IMO

I agree. A good front 4 can do some real damage.

Now, if the Madden Team would take note.............
Old 10-26-2010, 07:24 PM   #30
Pro

ucas005's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playmakers
Completely agree. It did take me a while to put together a slider set that gives me a pretty realistic pass rush for both me and CPU. Well worth the testing. This game never leaves my PS3 now.
Old 10-26-2010, 07:55 PM   #31
Senior Circuit

KingV2k3's Arena

OVR: 21

Strength rating matter...

I play as the RDE or RDT and play the guys in those positions with the highest STR rating...

When the game begins, I look at the depth chart of my opponent and concentrate on trying to match up against the lowest strength rated OL at LG, LT and / or C...

If I can occupy two of their guys, someone from the left of my line can often get free, create a bad throw, or get the sack...

Using this strategy, I'm good for a realistic ammount of sacks, QB knockdowns and hurried (incomplete) passes...

Works great for me...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-26-2010, 08:03 PM   #32
Rookie

OVR: 6

I've found SECElite's Sliders to be fun, challenging, and realistic in the Pass Rush aspect.

You have to remember, you may have a great DE, but that means nothing if your opponents have a great OL.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »