Home

Stopping the Power O

This is a discussion on Stopping the Power O within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-23-2011, 07:09 PM   #9
Banned

OVR: 9
Re: Stopping the Power O

Slingstone hit it right on the head. Run commit and make a defensive package for you fellow player.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:56 PM   #10
Rookie

slingstone's Arena

OVR: 0

Umm...if I knew what my opponent was doing even 60% of the time as a defensive coordinator, I think I might just about cream myself thinking about all the tasty things I was going to do to him on the field. I mean seriously, it's like a doggone MasterCard commercial: Stopping your idiot opponent from running his "can't miss" play...priceless. Maybe the jackwagon in question might learn the value of a balanced offense. Or at least the value of choosing a variety of running plays. Run strong side and then counter to the weak, perhaps?

Elementary, my dear Gator.

Old 01-23-2011, 08:02 PM   #11
Banned

1GATOR FAN's Arena

I would bet all money that if someone did that to you and you couldn't stop it you would be singing a different tune.

If you like playing someone who runs the same play 60% of the time then by god more power to you.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-23-2011, 08:43 PM   #12
Rookie

slingstone's Arena

The whole point is that I would stop his...err...posterior. Cold. He might still win if he could conceive of using something other than his "power" play, but, by God, he wouldn't run that crap on me all game. Not if he wanted to win. I'd back his behind so far down the field with TFL's that he'd wonder if my offense was on the field.

My assessment: easy win. Even if he's playing Alabama and I'm playing FCS SE, if I know where he's going almost every down on offense, I've got at least a shot at stopping him. On even terms, unless he changes his "offense", he's done. It's more fun for me as I show him the virtues of a balanced offense, setting up my scoring drives with a coherent scheme that uses different formations to build expectations in the defense that are shattered by misdirection.

Old 01-23-2011, 09:59 PM   #13
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingstone
The whole point is that I would stop his...err...posterior. Cold. He might still win if he could conceive of using something other than his "power" play, but, by God, he wouldn't run that crap on me all game. Not if he wanted to win. I'd back his behind so far down the field with TFL's that he'd wonder if my offense was on the field.

My assessment: easy win. Even if he's playing Alabama and I'm playing FCS SE, if I know where he's going almost every down on offense, I've got at least a shot at stopping him. On even terms, unless he changes his "offense", he's done. It's more fun for me as I show him the virtues of a balanced offense, setting up my scoring drives with a coherent scheme that uses different formations to build expectations in the defense that are shattered by misdirection.

I have to agree with you, especially when it comes to a specific run play. Most run plays are simple man-on-man, numerical advantage plays.

Pass plays are different, most pass plays that "cheesers" run over and over and over are either routes that are "broken" as far as coverage goes, or they throw their #1 WR at #3-5 and make sure they match them up on your MLB or something.

If you think running "smashmouth" football is cheesing (60% is not that bad), then what do you think Navy or mid 80's-90's Nebraska was? Heck what do you think Wisconsin is these days? They run basically the same few run plays over and over and over. (directed towards 1GATOR FAN)

Running is pretty simplistic as far as "schemes" go, and considering NCAA has like 80 plays per playbook, and 1/3 of them are the same plays in different formations, while another 1/3 are totally garbage(play action I'm looking at you!), you're left with like 20 or so effective plays... and when it comes to running the ball, there isnt much variety.

I like running A LOT of the same formation (I-form/variants) simply because you have NO idea if I'm running or passing, and if you stack the run I audible to pass, and if you play 2 deep safeties (no 8th man in the box) I'm changing the play to HB smash/off tackle and getting 3-5 yards pretty much everytime.

I assume the guy he's playing has likely recruited good run blocking O-lineman and likely has a solid RB as well. College football is a lot more unbalanced than the NFL, and most people's idea of "sim football" doesnt apply.

College is all about "we're gonna do this until you show us you can stop it."

***Onto the topic of the OP***

- I should have also mentioned the pre-play run keys like a couple guys after me mentioned. I think if you do as I instructed first combined with the pre-play run keying to the strongside (assuming he's always running strongside) you'll have pretty good success I think, so long as you have decent talent on defense and you're not just getting overpowered by better athletes.

The preplay keying really does help, as your CPU controlled defenders make much better reactions and a lot quicker.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:50 PM   #14
Banned

1GATOR FAN's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingstone

Not my point. You can say you would stop jesus him self that don't mean you could/can... I'm asking you if somebody ran the same play 60% and you couldn't stop it would you still like playing then?

Don't think so talk is talk until you do it you're self.
Old 01-23-2011, 11:02 PM   #15
Pro

Bullet Sponge's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1GATOR FAN
I would bet all money that if someone did that to you and you couldn't stop it you would be singing a different tune.

If you like playing someone who runs the same play 60% of the time then by god more power to you.
It's not for you you to decide how your opponent picks their plays, it's for you to stop them. Excepting obvious exploiting/cheesing broken AI, I don't have a problem with people running whatever the heck they want. And if have a lousy defense and he has a powerful running attack, you just have to do your best and take it like a man. Mixing up play calling just for the sake of mixing it up is not what "realism" is, you mix up plays to keep your opponent off balance and get an advantage. If they can't stop a certain play, you call it. A lot. That IS realistic.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-23-2011, 11:35 PM   #16
Rookie

orangeafroman's Arena

OVR: 3

If he runs it strongside continually, why not just shift your D-line to that side and even direct them strongside.....it would totally decimate the play. It's 2 easy, pre-snap calls, and your DBs and LBs still do thir job

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »