Home

Awareness rating in defending the HB Counter

This is a discussion on Awareness rating in defending the HB Counter within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-27-2011, 03:53 PM   #1
Rookie

PDuncanOSU's Arena

OVR: 1
Awareness rating in defending the HB Counter

I'm in year 6 of an online dynasty playing as Ohio State against a user controlled Michigan. I couldn't stop him last night running mostly counter plays to the left. I think he uses Bama's playbook, or maybe the singleback playbook and would run this same play from different ace formations and the pistol-slot formation. He mixed in playaction passes and runs to the right enough that I couldn't totally commit my defense to stop the run left, but he ran this play often and really killed me with it. Using the muliple defense playbook, I tried 4-3, 3-4, 46, 5-2, nickel, shifted the line left, played press, zone, man, blitzed, it didn't matter. I typically try not to have to switch players on defense and only user control the strong safety. Everytime he ran this play, my LE and LOLB would bite to the right on the counter and he would have the whole left side of the field to run. He has a very good HB and could usually beat my FS and CB on that side but even if they stopped him or I could get to that side quick enough from my SS spot he would have 7-8 yards min. I don't have a starter on defense lower than an 85 overall, and 8 or 9 of the 11 are above a 90 overall so talent isn't the issue. I checked play recognition and awareness ratings as this was the only reason I could think of for them bitting on the counter so often. Play recognition was always high, but awareness was almost always rated 50-70. Is the low awareness rating the obvious answer here to getting beat on this, or is there something else that could be the answer or something I didn't think of to stop this play.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-27-2011, 04:06 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

l3ulvl's Arena

OVR: 26
Re: Awareness rating in defending the HB Counter

You're probly right about the low awareness. I'd try to throw him off his game by showing him one look but running another. Something like having a zone coverage defense called and showing blitz, he might tip his hand or audible out.

Also, was he running up the middle at all? If all he did was run right or run the counter left, you might be able to spread out the DLine and LBs. I mean it would open up the middle but if he's not taking advantage of it that's his problem lol.

Or pick an overload blitz to one side of the field while showing him a shifted defensive alignment to the other side. If you are loaded up to the left, he'll want to run right, which could backfire on him as he runs right into your blitz.
Old 01-27-2011, 04:22 PM   #3
Rookie

CenTechsan's Arena

OVR: 2

I've had some success usering the backside DE against the counter when I know which way it's going. With an athletic DE (and it sounds like you've got a good defense) sometimes you can fall in line right behind the pulling linemen and chase him down on the line of scrimmage.

But yeah, the counter is a difficult play to stop. Especially against the homos that flip it and run it to the strong side.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:00 PM   #4
Banned

devinewon's Arena

OVR: 9

I had Wisconsin against a Michigan guy who ran a similar system predicated on the heavy use of the counter here is how you stop it.

You have to get penetration on the counter because the containment in this game is broken. The 4-3 can not stop it because the Defensive ends can not contain and are consistently being destroyed by TE's.

1. Run a 3-4 playbook

2. You have to recruit Nasty LB's. You want to be 10 or 11 deep at the position.

Plays to run.

3. Run a basic cover two and bring the SS in the box and blitz him. Also blitz the MLB runing the hook zone.

4. Run Strong and weak blitz. It blitzes the MLB and the OLB on the play side.
You can also run a double MLB blitz

5. If you want to you can also run Multiple playbook and run the 46.
Man Cover 1 controlling the safety will get penetration if your MLB is nasty. Or the Double MLB in that formation as well.

It is all about making the counter step cost him because the defense's logic can not pick up the logic of the counter even though he runs it 15 times a game.
Old 01-28-2011, 05:46 PM   #5
Rookie

SynShadowzz's Arena

OVR: 3

I don't play online much, but here's an idea...

If you're in a 4-3, run a Cover 2. Don't shift the LB's but spread out your D-Line. Bring your SS up (or your FS if you think they'll run to that side.)

The thought here is that the OLB's will move for the sidelines and, and the DL is as spread out as you can get it. Now user-control the safety to either pick up a blocker (and let your OLB make the tackle) or make the tackle yourself.

I haven't tested this, but it works in my mind.

Good luck.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-31-2011, 12:20 PM   #6
Rookie

SynShadowzz's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
If you're in a 4-3, run a Cover 2
That should be Cover 3, not cover 2. My bad,

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »