Home

Handling a blowout over the CPU

This is a discussion on Handling a blowout over the CPU within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-07-2011, 12:04 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
Handling a blowout over the CPU

How does anyone else do it? What I'm interested in is what you do so as not to punish your own team, but also aren't running up the score. (Before adjusting sliders I had a season that started with 3 consecutive unrealistic blowouts and got voted out of #1 in the early polls.)

Played a horrible W.Ky. team in final game of season and first three offensive plays were 52, 61, and 72 yd TD runs by HB. Worse, only on the longest of the 3 did he even have to break any tackles.
I Mass Subbed late in 2nd qtr. Played only 2-man Under or 1-man D, no press and no extra blitzers. Threw a total of 10 passes in the game. Even tried to sub-in my starting FB (I'd started the 2nd FB who was a Sr., kind of a tribute in final home game) in 4th qtr at HB (but game wouldn't put him in for some reason, even though I'd re-adjusted depth chart to show FB as starter, thereby keeping his back-up in the game).
In 4th qtr had an INT by OLB on opponents 20 and ran it in. Should I have 'fallen down'? Run out of bounds? Early in qtr WKU QB scrambled right and WOULDN'T throw the ball, got sacked, fumbled, picked up by a d-lineman and run in for a TD. Again...fall down? out of bounds again?
Twice, I LET the offensive play run itself -- 1st time HB dive was a TD, and 2nd time BACK-UP non-running QB ran untouched into end zone from 8 on a QB smash. I was scoring TDs w/o trying. Kneel downs on final 2 series...and score was still 119 or something, to 7.
I'd just like to have a little integrity in a win when I get in a game like that (will edit schedule in preseason more closely, though this past season I had A+ rating playing AT #5 TX to open season, vs. #3 USC in wk 2, and AT #4 N. TX in game before WKU), even though I know only me and the CPU will ever know.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-07-2011, 12:15 PM   #2
MVP

Son of Sam99's Arena

OVR: 14
Re: Handling a blowout over the CPU

100+ to 7? I've never scored more than 60 points so i guess I use harder sliders but when I am blowing people out I'll mass sub 2nd string in and just keep chewing clock, running it up the middle, and often super sim defense. If my second string can keep scoring on runs up the middle, so be it.
In terms of the pick six and fumble recovery... I've gathered that as a coach or player (in any sport) if you're getting blown out its bad but its even worse if the opponent shows mercy and tries not to score. By that I dont mean keep throwing the ball deep but if you've got a clear path to the endzone it'd be more of a slap in the face to run out of bounds than to just take it in for 6.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:27 PM   #3

Deegeezy's Arena

OVR: 15

I usually put my offensive backups in if I am up by more 4 or more possessions at any point in the mid third quarter until the end of the game. I may take out 2 or 3 of my prime defensive guys, but I like to wait until at least the final 6 minutes before taking them all out.

If it is a 3 possession game, I generally would wait until the final 2 minutes to sub on offense but won't sub at all on defense unless it is all but guaranteed to be the game's final series.

Strategy wise, I only throw the ball if it is absolutely necessary and even if it is, I probably do something conservative like a screen.

There is no way my team scores more than 60. I would dumb down my game plan too much in the second half for that to happen. I'm talking nothing but FB Dives out of power formations and melting the clock.

COACH GEEZY IN THE BIG EASY PART III: LEGACY | FROM BOURBON ST. TO THE BAYOU

Last edited by Deegeezy; 02-07-2011 at 12:30 PM.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:23 PM   #4
Pro

OVR: 9

First of all I try not to schedule really bad teams (no 1AA, etc). In the game they are unrealistically bad.

I also will bump up the sliders to make it a little tougher on me. I will play softer coverages, rarely blitz, set the gameplan to conservative for most things.

Offensively I will run the ball a lot (especially up the gut), throw mostly screens and easy passes instead of exploiting the unrealistically bad secondary. I also will get all my backups playing time on both O and D.

My scores are always pretty realistic, and I don't think I've ever scored more than 60 points.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:57 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelers1
First of all I try not to schedule really bad teams (no 1AA, etc). In the game they are unrealistically bad.

I also will bump up the sliders to make it a little tougher on me. I will play softer coverages, rarely blitz, set the gameplan to conservative for most things.

Offensively I will run the ball a lot (especially up the gut), throw mostly screens and easy passes instead of exploiting the unrealistically bad secondary. I also will get all my backups playing time on both O and D.

My scores are always pretty realistic, and I don't think I've ever scored more than 60 points.
That is such a pain in the but.. I feel guilty when I throw it sometimes because its like too easy in this game no matter what sliders it seems like
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-07-2011, 02:30 PM   #6
MVP

bh446066's Arena

OVR: 26

I usually mass sub in the late 3rd/early 4th when I'm blowing the cou out, then run as much clock as possible to get out of there............UNLESS its a team I hate, then I score as many points as I possibly can (you hearing me, Texas Tech?)

MLB 21 The Show
College Hoops 2K8
Pro Evolution Soccer 2018
NHL 19
NCAA Football 14/11
NBA 2K16
Madden 20
Old 02-07-2011, 07:20 PM   #7
Rookie

orangeafroman's Arena

OVR: 3

Feeling guilt while playing a video game seems absurd to me.

That being said, I play all-out until halftime, then just mass sub and play ball-control offense and my regular D. If they can't stop it, tough.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:13 AM   #8
Rookie

kkman187's Arena

OVR: 9

I don't really have unrealistic blow-outs. You need a good slider set that makes blow-outs happen when they should, and not all the time.
"There are enough flaws with this game (NCAA 10) as it is w/o people believing that the game will rape your girlfriend, knock up your mom and steal your identity before jumping out the window screaming..."Season Showdown Rules, Bitchesssssssss!"
- DonohoFlnkr

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »