Home

In Depth Look at a New Way to do Recruiting in NCAA 12

This is a discussion on In Depth Look at a New Way to do Recruiting in NCAA 12 within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-10-2011, 06:41 PM   #1
Uber Blazer/Beaver Fan

blazer003's Arena

OVR: 10
In Depth Look at a New Way to do Recruiting in NCAA 12

NCAA dynasty has gotten pretty stale. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy it to a certain degree, but I just posted PART I of a 3 part OS blog I'm doing with a pretty in depth look at a realistic overhaul that could be done to provide a much more realistic and in depth dynasty and recruiting system. I'd love to hear your thoughts and what you would add.
A Whole New Way to Recruit: Part I
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-10-2011, 07:40 PM   #2
MVP

jbrew2411's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: In Depth Look at a New Way to do Recruiting in NCAA 12

I was a fan of the spring game back in the day and still am a fan even though it has not been in a game since my PS2 days, made the move to the PS3 with NCAA 08. I want it back. I would add that you have a small number of recruits who enroll early and play in the spring game.

You talked about high school camps and finding those untaped players. What about use the current ESPNU150 and ranking system but allow players to be re ranked once a month during the season and a finial ranking at seasons end. That would give it a more real life feel. Guys who were 4*'s at the beginning of the season may be a 3* in the finial ranking.

This is an idea I stole from older March Madness games, add high school stats. I can't remember when it was in March Madness but the last one I bought was 06, I bought 10 but it was not in it. It was cool to see how productive my recruit was or was not. Just a thought. I want turn this into a wish list thread.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:32 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 14

They also need to change how schools like OSU, Florida, Alabama, and Texas are in like every top recruits lists.

Because in real life not everybody wants to go to those schools, some players might just want to go to a small school in state where they can help bring low-class schools up from the ground. Like, players in the Alabama, Tennesee area that are 5 star caliber recruits could go to MTSU or Memphis instead of just automaticly go to Alabama, Tennesee, or Georgia.

Am I right?
Old 02-10-2011, 11:54 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUlions15
They also need to change how schools like OSU, Florida, Alabama, and Texas are in like every top recruits lists.

Because in real life not everybody wants to go to those schools, some players might just want to go to a small school in state where they can help bring low-class schools up from the ground. Like, players in the Alabama, Tennesee area that are 5 star caliber recruits could go to MTSU or Memphis instead of just automaticly go to Alabama, Tennesee, or Georgia.

Am I right?
No. 5 star kids dont go to those schools.

EA did this to keep these traditional power schools strong. So one bad year etc doesnt kill them. Or North Texas, San Jose State, or Florida International winning their conference and winning games doesnt make them a power too quickly just by being in one of the big three states and crappy conference. And boom, 5 stars want to go to those schools too quickly and easily.

But as usual, EA over did it. For myself in my OD its EVERY damn top recruit is interested in Alabama, Oklahoma, Penn St, and Michigan. Sprinkle in a healthy dose of USC and Texas for the others. EA did this ignoring current talent on those teams depth charts, and playing style of the recruits.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:01 PM   #5
Rookie

89OneHanded's Arena

OVR: 1

Recruiting definitely needs to be completely revamped. I enjoyed your rendition, and I would love to see a new system like that. The way recruiting is now is boring.

My biggest wish for recruiting in 12 is scheme differences. I want to see realistic differences in recruiting a defensive end for a 3-4 and a 4-3. I want differences in a DT and a NT. I want to see differences in Option QBs that are basically running backs and quick scrambling spread QBs. I want to see hybrid players, like strong safeties that could play OLB, tight ends that could be H-backs, DTs that could play o-line, WRs that could play CBs, etc. Teams make these sort of positional changes every offseason.

I want to see ATHLETES done correctly. Athletes are supposed to be players with incredibly physical skills, but low positional skills. Right now when I find an "athlete" that's interested in me, I go look at his ratings to find out if he's supposed to be a WR, HB, or CB. That's not how that's supposed to work.

I want to see a distinct change in recruiting talent year to year, one year there just isn't that much talent to spread around, but the next year you get a superclass. Most of all, I want a system that doesn't create such crappy recruits. The current system deteriorates during a dynasty, around year 6, when all the pre-made players are gone, there isn't a team left with an "A" ranking on offense OR defense. That is obviously incorrect.

Recruiting certainly needs to be revamped, everything from head to toe, needs to be scrapped and re-booted from the ground up.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-11-2011, 02:43 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 6

Just commenting on the blog:

They definitely need to add a spring game. Only a handful of incoming recruits should be able to participate. Ratings boosts should be dependent on performance and limited in both quantity, maybe 3 players max, and quality, maybe +3 OVR max.

The point of the spring game should be:

1) Give me a feel for how next season's team performs on the field.

2) Position battles / adjust depth chart. If that Soph tailback outperforms the higher-rated incumbent back, maybe you move him to #1 on the depth chart. The incumbent gets annoyed and decides to transfer. Though you should still have an opportunity to retain him.

3) Injuries.

Fall camp could be similar to how progression is shown now, in that it could just be simulated. Maybe give us an option to tell what each position should focus on. Boosts should also be affected by coach and coordinator ratings (which they'd also need to add to the game).

I'd like to see injuries occur during this period. They'd need to bump up to an 85-man roster to offset injury losses. It would be nice if they brought back suspensions too.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:41 PM   #7
Rookie

CenTechsan's Arena

OVR: 2

My problem is that it seems when EA introduces a new feature, they go completely overboard with it. I'd like some kind of character rating and discipline system. Some guys could have shady character and cause some problems. Then you have to decide if you are going to punish (suspend) them. The player (and team) could respond to your punishment accordingly. Skip the punishment and see more players get busted for the same thing, bringing investigations/loss of scholarships/tv/bowl game on your program. There could even be an integrity rating and pitch tied to recruiting so that the players with more character have an interest boost in schools with high integrity.

I have no idea if the NCAA would balk at that, but I think it would be cool.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:12 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenTechsan
My problem is that it seems when EA introduces a new feature, they go completely overboard with it. I'd like some kind of character rating and discipline system. Some guys could have shady character and cause some problems. Then you have to decide if you are going to punish (suspend) them. The player (and team) could respond to your punishment accordingly. Skip the punishment and see more players get busted for the same thing, bringing investigations/loss of scholarships/tv/bowl game on your program. There could even be an integrity rating and pitch tied to recruiting so that the players with more character have an interest boost in schools with high integrity.

I have no idea if the NCAA would balk at that, but I think it would be cool.
The whole discipline system was in the last gen versions. They just haven't carried it over to this gen for whatever reason. It certainly added intrigue to each season.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »