Home

How do you think EA should implement a Coaching Mode

This is a discussion on How do you think EA should implement a Coaching Mode within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-20-2011, 09:57 AM   #9
Pro

sparkdawg777's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: How do you think EA should implement a Coaching Mode

Yeh great thread btw. You know what would be even better is if you start off as a position coach? Then you only control the players at the position you are coaching and you have an impact on their ratings based on your coaching ratings. Which start off almost rock bottom, then you build up enough based on the success you have along with your ratings, boom, you're a OC/DC (now controlling just the offense or defense) then same process until you become a head coach. Shoot if you want you can stay a OC/DC the whole time. This would add SOO much depth to the CC let's think about it for a second...
-Head Coaches (can now move not only to other teams but down to OC/DC)
-OC/DCs (can move up/across/down)
-Position Coaches (can move up/across/down(sorry your fired))
-Also you might see former players becoming position coaches (that would be cool but would have to be non-NFL guys and might be pushing it too much)
-Recruiting would now involve ALL coaches, like in real life

Now I know this is probably too much but hey they are just ideas!
-
Old 04-20-2011, 10:33 AM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidice
I just know that you eventually get to choose to export to Madden or become a coach in dynasty mode after your senior year. I just played dynasty mode and dominated with my impact HB every year.
You could either choose to become a coach or export your created player to the draft in Madden. Your player that you exported was based off your career in NCAA Football, and if your player's ratings were maxed out you respectably be one of the best recruits to draft. My 99 OVR QB's were usually transfered in the mid to high 80's OVR in Madden, but I could usually get to 99 OVR in Madden by the end of the second year if I played well.

I thought it'd be great if you could transfer your created player back to EA's NCAA Football from your "Road to Glory/NFL Superstar" in Madden once you retired to become a College Coach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkdawg777
Yeh great thread btw. You know what would be even better is if you start off as a position coach? Then you only control the players at the position you are coaching and you have an impact on their ratings based on your coaching ratings. Which start off almost rock bottom, then you build up enough based on the success you have along with your ratings, boom, you're a OC/DC (now controlling just the offense or defense) then same process until you become a head coach. Shoot if you want you can stay a OC/DC the whole time. This would add SOO much depth to the CC let's think about it for a second...
-
Love the Position Coach Idea! That would be a perfect way to have EA start the CC by working your way completly up from a high school athlete to NFL superstar, and then once you retire you could work your way up in the same way from NCAA Position Coach to possibly NFL Head Coach. If they are ever able to do this I'll go back to buying both NCAA and Madden again, but the last few years I've been content with just NCAA.

Las Vegas Raiders | Atlanta Braves | NCAA Football
Old 04-20-2011, 10:34 AM   #11
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cparrish
It needs to be pretty much exactly like College Hoops 2k8 except for football obviously.
Exactly, I would love to be able to add enhancements to stadiums or equipment(weight room, practice field, etc.) for meeting certain goals set by the Athletic Director.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-20-2011, 10:42 AM   #12
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkrptnt819
I don't play RTG but I thought they still had this in there. When they took the feature of advancing to Madden or becoming a coach what was the point?!?! Wow they totally stripped the game down across gens. That sux.
The RTG mode has been striped way down from the days on my playstation 2. In the first RTG modes you had to actually pick a major and take tests/quizzes to keep your GPA up to be elgible. I'm really hoping that EA has brought a big upgrade to RTG, and it seems like their promising it so far.

You can also still transfer to Madden for your created player but not back to NCAA. The Coaching Carousel is a much more in depth version of dynasty mode that was implemented by 2K in their college basketball game where you have to choose a small college and raise them to a power house. In NCAA I would hope that you would have to choose from a low prestige non BCS team.

Thanks for all the comments by the way, Love the Ideas!

Old 04-20-2011, 11:45 AM   #13
Rookie

TDTGodfather's Arena

OVR: 2

i love that the game is backed by the NCAA but that's also one of the things that hurt it.

i want the ability to do dirty things. dirty recruiting, (the old days of NCAA with suspensions and probation) front office football's college game has this (but i know they aren't licensed)

and i want this to carry over to a RTG mode. i want some jesus shuttlesworth stuff going on.

but even more than that, i miss the old days where you could decide bowls or playoffs in a dynasty for post season. anyone remember that?

i'd also like the ability to custom conference (meaning not just switching teams from conf to conf but be able to control how many teams in a conf, ccg?, BCS tie ins, etc).

i know NFL head coach didn't exactly flourish but the concept is amazing, its execution wasn't (when i first heard it was coming out i thought they were making a game just for me). i think they could do the same thing for a college game. with even more in depth recruiting, game plans and play calling, handling problems off field, you could treat it almost like a story mode. and of course, you could set your assistants to handle things you didn't want to for those who don't want to get as in depth.

this has gotta happen eventually, right?
Chicago White Sox
Old 04-20-2011, 12:25 PM   #14
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDTGodfather
i love that the game is backed by the NCAA but that's also one of the things that hurt it.

i want the ability to do dirty things. dirty recruiting, (the old days of NCAA with suspensions and probation) front office football's college game has this (but i know they aren't licensed)

and i want this to carry over to a RTG mode. i want some jesus shuttlesworth stuff going on.

but even more than that, i miss the old days where you could decide bowls or playoffs in a dynasty for post season. anyone remember that?

i'd also like the ability to custom conference (meaning not just switching teams from conf to conf but be able to control how many teams in a conf, ccg?, BCS tie ins, etc).

i know NFL head coach didn't exactly flourish but the concept is amazing, its execution wasn't (when i first heard it was coming out i thought they were making a game just for me). i think they could do the same thing for a college game. with even more in depth recruiting, game plans and play calling, handling problems off field, you could treat it almost like a story mode. and of course, you could set your assistants to handle things you didn't want to for those who don't want to get as in depth.

this has gotta happen eventually, right?

I agree with the partner ship with the NCAA helps and hurts the actual NCAA game, but I highly doubt there will be anything in NCAA associated with dirty recruiting. The NCAA would most likely drop their endorsement immediately if EA tried to do this.

I do agree that EA should loosen up their license so we can choose a playoff system instead of the current bowl system, and so I can go back to putting tattoos on all of my players lol. That's one of the biggest problems for me with their current license is that you can't have any tattoos on any of the players in the game. I want to tat up my teams lol.

Last edited by JustinJones; 04-20-2011 at 12:33 PM.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:45 PM   #15
Legal Advisor

jwilphl's Arena

OVR: 12

I like the idea, as in College Basketball games, of having to earn a position with a top-tier program. A curious idea would be, like the legend mode, start as a high school coach and then earn a spot on some lower-tier college programs, then work your way up. I like the idea of starting as a position coach or coordinator first, as well, but you'd have to implement it in a way that isn't mundane, i.e. what exactly would your tasks entail? What would you do during and between games?

I could see playing only as players that are under your direction if you're a position coach. So if you're an LB coach, perhaps you only control the linebackers during games. You could add some RPG elements to the experience, as well, by adding dialogue and drills (having to pick the right things to say to the players to get them focused and ready, as well as which drills to focus on so their skills improve). I don't know that everyone would enjoy those sorts of things, however.

The coaching carousel is a biggie. Coaches definitely need to rotate around and positions should be offered according to need and how well you've done at your current school. There could be some interesting choices to make if say a mid-tier school offers you a head coaching job, but a higher-tier school offers you a position/coordinator position and then you have to hope the head coach sees his way out and you move in. It would certainly add a lot of depth to the mode, something it sorely needs. There isn't much to do outside of recruiting, and I would like to see recruiting get deeper, as well.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-20-2011, 12:49 PM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilphl
I like the idea, as in College Basketball games, of having to earn a position with a top-tier program. A curious idea would be, like the legend mode, start as a high school coach and then earn a spot on some lower-tier college programs, then work your way up. I like the idea of starting as a position coach or coordinator first, as well, but you'd have to implement it in a way that isn't mundane, i.e. what exactly would your tasks entail? What would you do during and between games?

I could see playing only as players that are under your direction if you're a position coach. So if you're an LB coach, perhaps you only control the linebackers during games. You could add some RPG elements to the experience, as well, by adding dialogue and drills (having to pick the right things to say to the players to get them focused and ready, as well as which drills to focus on so their skills improve). I don't know that everyone would enjoy those sorts of things, however.

The coaching carousel is a biggie. Coaches definitely need to rotate around and positions should be offered according to need and how well you've done at your current school. There could be some interesting choices to make if say a mid-tier school offers you a head coaching job, but a higher-tier school offers you a position/coordinator position and then you have to hope the head coach sees his way out and you move in. It would certainly add a lot of depth to the mode, something it sorely needs. There isn't much to do outside of recruiting, and I would like to see recruiting get deeper, as well.
Great ideas man.

"I'ma keep pourin it onnnn!"

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »