Home

Scrap the OVR Rating!

This is a discussion on Scrap the OVR Rating! within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-20-2011, 08:55 PM   #49
MVP

CuseGirl's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Scrap the OVR Rating!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Wilhelm
I'm not sure if hiding the OVR is the answer. In my opinion the OVR needs to mean less. As it is now, it seems the OVR means more than the actual ratings do. I swear the overall determines how good a player is instead of his ratings. That might be because I have no idea what half of the ratings mean because I cannot seem to find any official documentation to how they translate onto the field.

That being said, their needs to be more breakdown per position and position group.

As for hardcore vs casual fan, from what I can understand MLB The Show is the best baseball game out their and has been used as a measuring stick for (expected) industry standards. MLB the Show isn't even that complicated unless you are really into understanding every aspect of the transaction handbook. All I do is set my training for the year, get my sponsors and play my games. Nothing to it.

NEver played 2k11 but it sounds awesome.
I do think the overall means alot, but not IN-GAME. I think it's used heavily for simulation numbers because the game needs to simulate weeks quickly. I've already traded my game back in but I wish someone could time an Xbox and a PS3's simulation time of a week's worth of football. For a full week of a games obviously....

I dont play Association mode in NBA 2k11, I could care less about contracts and such. But My Player is what attracted me at first and when you get drafted, ur rating is considerably lower than that of the worse player in the game. Add to that the ridiculous shot stick sensitivity where it takes you 3 weeks to figure out how to layup and ur ratings are still not good enuff to dunk (oh yes, an athletic 6 foot 5 guard who can't dunk) and you have the recipe for an early stress related death.

I felt like that with MLB The Show and then I got more patient, and was able to get the ball out of the infield lollll.....but you dont have that option with NBA 2k11 and I dont want that option taken away from NCAA Football.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:01 PM   #50
Rookie

OVR: 4

I'd love to see them scrap as many of the 0-99 ratings as possible...

Your 40 time should be displayed as what it actually is, not some number...

Same with other measurables.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:18 PM   #51
MVP

poopoop's Arena

OVR: 4

I hate how we've gone from video games being difficult on earlier systems, to everything being super easy now. This whole "lets not make anything overcomplicated and make it easy for the casual gamer" mentality is how we end up with useless features like gameflow on Madden.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-20-2011, 09:46 PM   #52
MVP

CuseGirl's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopoop
I hate how we've gone from video games being difficult on earlier systems, to everything being super easy now. This whole "lets not make anything overcomplicated and make it easy for the casual gamer" mentality is how we end up with useless features like gameflow on Madden.
Really? I think it's the exact opposite. The pinnacle for me was the 2007 version, well, for me personally. I thought the input I gave to the controller matched what I saw on screen, the recruiting was a little bland but you still had players who just simply weren't coming to your school, no matter wut u said, and you could make those cheap looking signs that fans held up in the stands. It was rough but it was fun.

2011 was good as well, the only issue I had was that star players didn't feel like star players. When I threw to the ball to my best reciever, he didn't do things that the #2 guy couldn't do, the way Dez Bryant was or Ryan Broyles did this past season.....
Old 04-20-2011, 09:48 PM   #53
Hall Of Fame

Playmakers's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos86
Regarding the CPU, I think they need to do what they did for Madden QB ratings. They need an OVR that's specific to their fitted role. A WR with great speed doesn't always equate to a good slot receiver who can run a good route, shield with the body, and catch over the middle. That same receiver won't be very good on the outside; he can't stretch the field and threaten the DBs deep.
I've been using Madden ratings on NCAA players for a few years now and the gameplay is always outstanding for me in NCAA

I've it like said often that EA's Madden ratings are the best ratings to apply in NCAA football because it makes the actual gameplay on the field a better SIM

Follow some the Greatest College Football players of All Time in NCAA Football 14
Old 04-20-2011, 09:48 PM   #54
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiRis
This is actually a really good idea.

From the perspective a "sim" gamer, this would allow you to have much more realistic squads composed of players by their actual specialty rather than their overall rating. Regardless of what many people say, the OVR has a huge effect on gamers when they're deciding how to play.

Having an option in the game to make it an invisible integer sounds like a great idea. You could keep it on if you're casual, and hardcore players could have more in-depth processes for the dynaty.

Win-win.
It seems like a no-brainer to me. I don't know why anyone would argue against the option to do this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Hype Iz Real
I think the NFL Head Coach rating system would be really good in NCAA, having ratings of the same player differ depending on what schemes the school uses and the position preferences of the coaches. Pocket Passing QB with high accuracy and low throw strength being a 90 OVR while using a West Coast type offense and coach preference being accurate QB could be a 70 OVR in a Spread offense with the coach preference being strong arm QB , and the same QB could be a 50 OVR on an option Offense team where a coach prefers Mobile QBs. This would make position specific ratings more important in OVR.
This, in theory, should help the CPU in recruiting also. Instead of just going after players just because of the stars next to their name, they could track player who fit into their systems.

Obviously the CPU would have to be reprogrammed to actually be "aware" of what schemes they are running.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »