Home

ASU Marketing Campaign

This is a discussion on ASU Marketing Campaign within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 08:30 AM   #1
OHIO ST8

jhogan3132's Arena

OVR: 25
ASU Marketing Campaign

With all the conversation surrounding ASU and their new uniforms (in the uniforms thread) I thought I would open this thread, show all of you the video, and perhaps some interesting conversation will follow. ENJOY!

Here is an official statement on the new brand from the school’s weekly “Devil’s Insider” email newsletter:
“The rebranding of Sun Devil Athletics includes adding two colors to the athletics color palette: copper, for its prominence in Arizona history, and black, a long-anticipated return to the Sun Devil attitude. This fall will not be the first time our Arizona State football squads have worn black helmets, as we previously wore black helmets in the 1950s. We now have a custom athletic font exclusive to Sun Devil Athletics. The font, called Sun Devil Bold, incorporates unique characteristics intended to represent my horns or my pitchfork. Speaking of pitchforks, the official logo of Sun Devil Athletics is now the pitchfork… This exclusive and contemporary mark will be used consistently across all of our Sun Devil teams. Anytime someone sees this logo, they will instantly recognize it as Sun Devil Athletics.”

Last edited by jhogan3132; 04-22-2011 at 08:36 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-22-2011, 09:07 AM   #2
Air Raid

Dr Death's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: ASU Marketing Campaign

Thanks for sharing that. A good marketing team can do a lot for a school. If someone had been in a coma the past 10 years and woke up and saw those videos, they'd think ASU was a dominant, championship team. Heck, I was getting pumped up and I'm not even a Sun Devil's fan! LOL

I know some of the long term fans don't like the change, but I think the Pitchfork looks cool. Best of luck to ASU this year, can't wait to see them on the field.

Old 04-22-2011, 10:09 AM   #3
Rookie

GoDevils95's Arena

OVR: 4

I'm an ASU alumni and fan. Fans of this new look think that this about a school changing it's image. It's a ploy for the university to make more money. Trade in their tradition for $$$. It will only help recruiting minimally (if even at all). For those that say ASU changed their logo from a sunburst to sparky in 1980, they don't realize why they did it. ASU didn't do it for money. Now in 2011 that is the only reason ASU replaced sparky for a pitchfork. Younger kids may like it, but most older fans don't. Younger fans don't support the athletic dept. with any significant dollars. College is about change and about youth. My point is, if you're going to change....change for the right reasons....not to sellout. Penn State / Alabama / Michigan / Texas etc... haven't changed uniforms ever and they seem to appeal to recruits. Wonder why?
Old 04-22-2011, 03:41 PM   #4
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoDevils95
My point is, if you're going to change....change for the right reasons....not to sellout. Penn State / Alabama / Michigan / Texas etc... haven't changed uniforms ever and they seem to appeal to recruits. Wonder why?
Penn State / Alabama / Michigan / Texas is also a small who's-who list of college football. They can afford to be traditional because their brands sell themselves. Arizona State can't match the brand of any of these four schools, or any of the other elite college football programs (Florida, Ohio State, USC...), so they must do whatever they can to compete.

The new duds will indeed bring more attention and money into the athletic department at ASU, and they also bring forth an opportunity to get a bunch of new eyes on the program. Honestly, I was completely apathetic about ASU before this announced rebranding; with it done, I'm paying attention to them where I never would have before, and I think their new logo is one of the best in college sports. They have my attention, in other words, and assuming there are many other people like myself with regard to this manner the rebranding is already a success.
Old 04-22-2011, 03:49 PM   #5
Banned

BearDown520's Arena

OVR: 0

Who cares.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-22-2011, 03:55 PM   #6
MVP

dan_457's Arena

OVR: 26

This will get ASU attention for a little while, that's it though, once their re-branding campaign is over no one outside of ASU fan's/alumni will even think twice about ASU, as before.

Winning is the only way to accomplish any kind positive image, and unless ASU can start to win, all these superficial changes will amount to squat.

-Cleveland Browns-

-Cleveland Cavaliers-
Old 04-22-2011, 03:57 PM   #7
Banned

1GATOR FAN's Arena

OVR: 9

Did anyone see that story on Yahoo today about how ASU new helmet logo relates to a GANG lol??
Old 04-22-2011, 03:58 PM   #8
Burrow Club

Watson's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearDown520
Who cares.
This made me laugh

@AdamdotH
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »