Home

GameStop and Best Buy

This is a discussion on GameStop and Best Buy within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-01-2011, 02:21 PM   #25
Banned

JerseySuave4's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: GameStop and Best Buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaTwolves21
So if I don't pre-order the game, I don't get the pro combats, maybe thru the pre order, you get them earlier, I can't see them keeping those jerseys from us because we didn't pre-order.
dont know, but since there is a gamestop literally 2 mins from my house and since it doesnt cost me extra, i'm not going to risk it and i'm just going to preorder since thats where i'd buy the game anyway. I dont need to get the game early like others do because i wait until the rosters are done anyway to get into my franchise and at this point ive played enough NCAA games to where i dont need to "practice" or test out new things.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-01-2011, 02:32 PM   #26
MVP

poopoop's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaTwolves21
So if I don't pre-order the game, I don't get the pro combats, maybe thru the pre order, you get them earlier, I can't see them keeping those jerseys from us because we didn't pre-order.
well they're going to...

i don't even understand pre-ordering, has anyone actually ever been unable to find the game on release day? Too many options nowadays.
Old 05-01-2011, 04:50 PM   #27
Banned

JerseySuave4's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopoop
well they're going to...

i don't even understand pre-ordering, has anyone actually ever been unable to find the game on release day? Too many options nowadays.
Preordering is a way to provide more accurate supply numbers to the publisher so they have an adequate stock. It's also a way for retailers to make money before ever handing over the game and usually will ensure they are the ones you buy the game from. Even if you put $5 towards the game in a preorder and end up not buying the game from the store you preordered from, they still make that $5. If you do end up buying the game there then they were the ones who sold you the game.

For the customer, these days theres no reason to preorder a game other than receiving some sort of bonus. These places know that you don't need to preorder a game to ensure getting it the 1st day so they have to offer an incentive to draw you in. This can be something big like bonus fighters for UFC game, something minor like Pro Combats in NCAA Football or something stupid like cheat codes or a stupid giveaway like a keychain.
Old 05-01-2011, 06:19 PM   #28
MVP

berad88's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseySuave4
. This can be something big like bonus fighters for UFC game, something minor like Pro Combats in NCAA Football or something stupid like cheat codes or a stupid giveaway like a keychain.
I would rather have a keychain than something like pro combats that should already be in the game or cheat stuff lol I am not supporting gamestop cause I don't like them even if they are giving away uniforms that should be available to anybody paying full price for the game.
Old 05-01-2011, 06:30 PM   #29
Banned

JerseySuave4's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by berad88
I would rather have a keychain than something like pro combats that should already be in the game or cheat stuff lol I am not supporting gamestop cause I don't like them even if they are giving away uniforms that should be available to anybody paying full price for the game.
you would rather have a key chain than Pro Combats? They aren't obligated to put them in the game.
Old 05-01-2011, 06:41 PM   #30
MVP

berad88's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
you would rather have a key chain than Pro Combats? They aren't obligated to put them in the game.
For a few reasons. I mostly play as a team that does not use pro combats. The pro combats are ugly for the most part. I do not want to support a business tactic that tries to lure me into buying the game from a place that is offereing uniforms that do not have to be in the game but should be.

Also I would not be surprised if the pro combats are on the disk but just locked which is by far the worst business tactic and worst use of DLC in games but becoming a popular trend with games. If something is on the disk already it should be available to anybody that buys the game.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:37 PM   #31
Banned

JerseySuave4's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by berad88
For a few reasons. I mostly play as a team that does not use pro combats. The pro combats are ugly for the most part. I do not want to support a business tactic that tries to lure me into buying the game from a place that is offereing uniforms that do not have to be in the game but should be.

Also I would not be surprised if the pro combats are on the disk but just locked which is by far the worst business tactic and worst use of DLC in games but becoming a popular trend with games. If something is on the disk already it should be available to anybody that buys the game.
i'm sorry but this just sounds stupid. Basically what you're saying in the bolded part is i do not want to support a company offering a bonus for buying from their store. No matter how you try and spin it, thats what you're saying. Whether you think they should be in the game already or not is irrelevant. Its not like theyre charging extra money.

The business tactic being used is pulling in customers by offering them something extra for their business. How dare they?!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-02-2011, 05:21 AM   #32
MVP

poopoop's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
For the customer, these days theres no reason to preorder a game other than receiving some sort of bonus. These places know that you don't need to preorder a game to ensure getting it the 1st day so they have to offer an incentive to draw you in. This can be something big like bonus fighters for UFC game, something minor like Pro Combats in NCAA Football or something stupid like cheat codes or a stupid giveaway like a keychain.
Which is basically what I was getting at. Stores like GS realized the whole idea of pre-ordering a game is nonsensical for the consumer, so they responded by paying companies to withhold things from the game and offer them as "bonuses." It's funny trying to draw the line between a "bonus" or an "extra" and "something that should have been in the game" or "something that used to be in the game." Which is the key part of the argument, how are alternate uniforms all of a sudden considered a bonus? They used to be something companies included in the game by default. Why are Purdue's throwback alt uniforms a default inclusion, but Ohio States PC alt uniforms a bonus? Seems completely arbitrary.

EA gonna EA. Gamestop gonna Gamestop.

Last edited by poopoop; 05-02-2011 at 05:29 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »