Home

1 in a million, 2 way players?

This is a discussion on 1 in a million, 2 way players? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-14-2011, 01:21 PM   #9
Rookie

Vikefan24's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: 1 in a million, 2 way players?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Card-me
This does happen in the game, though not as often as it should. And not as accurately, to be sure.

And I definitely wouldn't call these kinds of players 1 in million. This happens basically all the time, particularly in high school and college football. Scrambling QBs often move to WR if they can't develop the necessary passing skills. WRs move to corner. Safeties bulk up and become OLBs, OLBs bulk up and become DEs or vice versa, etc. In the last two years at Louisville, we've had a HB move to CB, a WR move to CB, a QB move to OLB, then to DE, a DE move to DT and back, a QB move to WR, and a CB move to HB. This stuff happens all the time.
I don't think you understand what a two-way player is..

It's not someone who has changed positions, it's someone who regularly plays both sides of the ball.. For your Louisville examples, the WR that moved to CB, that isn't a two-way guy, if he played BOTH WR and CB, that would be two-way, not start at one and not be good enough at it so they put you on the other side
Old 05-15-2011, 05:18 AM   #10
MVP

Assassin's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikefan24

It's not someone who has changed positions, it's someone who regularly plays both sides of the ball.. For your Louisville examples, the WR that moved to CB, that isn't a two-way guy, if he played BOTH WR and CB, that would be two-way, not start at one and not be good enough at it so they put you on the other side
He does have a point here.
Old 05-15-2011, 05:38 AM   #11
Pro

JalenTigh's Arena

OVR: 6

There are plenty of players capable of it in real life, just few who do it in college because its not necessary anymore. When they can play more then one position, they generally are better at one or the other. Coaches no longer want to risk injury to their shut down corner by playing him at Wide Receiver (which is by far the most common two way player) and definatly wont risk a star receiver by playing him on defense.

I go with the same philosophy in the game. There are plenty of CB's in the game that are good enough to play wide receiver (but usually are not quite as good as your regular receivers)... Not so much the other way around though.

Georgia

College Basketball
Maryland
Georgetown

NFL
Washington Redskins
Atlanta Falcons
Baltimore Ravens

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-15-2011, 11:47 AM   #12
MVP

Roggie's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JalenTigh
There are plenty of players capable of it in real life, just few who do it in college because its not necessary anymore. When they can play more then one position, they generally are better at one or the other. Coaches no longer want to risk injury to their shut down corner by playing him at Wide Receiver (which is by far the most common two way player) and definatly wont risk a star receiver by playing him on defense.

I go with the same philosophy in the game. There are plenty of CB's in the game that are good enough to play wide receiver (but usually are not quite as good as your regular receivers)... Not so much the other way around though.
This is exactly what I agree with. There's almost no reason these days to have a guy play both sides. With all the concussion talk, it's putting a guy out for double the risk. The violent collisions in the sport have just multiplied in power, meaning players will be just having their bodies destroyed those three years they play. There just really isn't a spot for them in the game anymore, except for something like a corner spotlighting at WR the way Macho Harris did for Va Tech.

Now, I know about Owen Marecic. But even his coaches said he's a dying breed and they don't expect anyone to do that again.
Chicago Bulls
Detroit Tigers
Detroit Red Wings
Detroit Lions

Old 05-15-2011, 12:25 PM   #13
Rookie

Card-me's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikefan24

Good point.

I guess I should have pointed out that the QB/WR has played both positions, as has the RB/CB (2nd on team in rushing in 09 and two INTs last season). But most of them did just move positions, which is not really two-way.

I still maintain, though, that this does happen all the time in high school.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »