Home

Offensive Coordinator Prestige Ratings

This is a discussion on Offensive Coordinator Prestige Ratings within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-02-2011, 08:00 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Offensive Coordinator Prestige Ratings

the only problem i have is that you have to consider the "prestige" ranting a hc rating, not as a coord rating, since they don't drop when they move up to a hc position.

malzahn and holgerson might very well be the top oc in the nation, but neither would be considered in the elite of hc's if they jumps next year.

again, i have no problem with the ranking. i just think that the max a coord should be to start the game is B, maybe B+.

take muschamp as an example. he was, last year, one of the top 2-3 dc in the nation. if this were a rating for coord only, he would have been an A or A+.

but now he's a first year hc, and no one considers him as an A or A+ hc. more likely as a B.

or wiess. he was no better than a B hc, but he's certainly one of the more highly thought of oc. but if he was rated as an A in this game, if he moved back to hc, he'd suddenly be an A hc, instead of what he really was (B).

the rankings, or order, looks good. but the actual rating (grade) looks high across the board. jmo.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:07 PM   #10
MVP

volstopfan14's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by theharbinater
the only problem i have is that you have to consider the "prestige" ranting a hc rating, not as a coord rating, since they don't drop when they move up to a hc position.

malzahn and holgerson might very well be the top oc in the nation, but neither would be considered in the elite of hc's if they jumps next year.

again, i have no problem with the ranking. i just think that the max a coord should be to start the game is B, maybe B+.

take muschamp as an example. he was, last year, one of the top 2-3 dc in the nation. if this were a rating for coord only, he would have been an A or A+.

but now he's a first year hc, and no one considers him as an A or A+ hc. more likely as a B.

or wiess. he was no better than a B hc, but he's certainly one of the more highly thought of oc. but if he was rated as an A in this game, if he moved back to hc, he'd suddenly be an A hc, instead of what he really was (B).

the rankings, or order, looks good. but the actual rating (grade) looks high across the board. jmo.
I agree. When I actually make the coaches, I will lower each coordinators prestige rating by a full letter grade. So in my original set of coaches, the top OC will be a B and the highest possible rating for a coordinator will be a B+. I'm just rating them this way now because it is easier for me and because it is easier for people to read it this way.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:27 PM   #11
Air Raid

Dr Death's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by volstopfan14

B:

Nick Rolovich (Hawaii)
B-:

Dan Morrison (SMU)
Here's something that I know we will have to work around in the game, but June Jones is both the HC and the OC at SMU, just as he was at Hawaii. Morrison is known as Assistant Head Coach/Offense, but Jones calls all the plays.

What I don't understand is how you would have Rolovich, an ex-Hawaii QB ranked ahead of SMU {Jones} when Rolovich is running Jones' system? Is it based off stats from last year? Because most of those guys for Hawaii were/are June Jones recruits while Jones inherited a mess at SMU and is rebuilding them as he did at Hawaii.

Minor? Perhaps. And I know we'll have school's where the HC is also the OC or DC and we'll have to name an assistant as the OC/DC, but Rolovich is rated too high in my opinion, considering June Jones taught him everything he knows and all he's doing is running JJ's system.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-02-2011, 08:33 PM   #12
MVP

volstopfan14's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Death
Here's something that I know we will have to work around in the game, but June Jones is both the HC and the OC at SMU, just as he was at Hawaii. Morrison is known as Assistant Head Coach/Offense, but Jones calls all the plays.

What I don't understand is how you would have Rolovich, an ex-Hawaii QB ranked ahead of SMU {Jones} when Rolovich is running Jones' system? Is it based off stats from last year? Because most of those guys for Hawaii were/are June Jones recruits while Jones inherited a mess at SMU and is rebuilding them as he did at Hawaii.

Minor? Perhaps. And I know we'll have school's where the HC is also the OC or DC and we'll have to name an assistant as the OC/DC, but Rolovich is rated too high in my opinion, considering June Jones taught him everything he knows and all he's doing is running JJ's system.

I know that Jones is the HC and OC. When faced with a situation like that, I just picked an offensive assistant on the staff to be listed as the OC. South Carolina and Georgia Tech, among others, are also teams who have a HC that also serves as OC. Every school in NCAA 12 must have a HC, OC, and DC. Morrison was the assistant that I choose to list for SMU since he is the AHC. The reason Rolovich is rated higher than Morrison is mostly becuase Rolovich is actually the coordinator and playcaller. Looking at it now, Morrison probably should be moved down a bit since he is not actually the coordinator. Morrison's rating is not the same as June Jones' rating. Jones will be given an individual rating as the HC and Morrison will be given an individual rating as te OC (in the game).
Old 06-02-2011, 08:37 PM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 3

I would say that Gary Nord of Purdue should be higher than a C- (relative to your original rankings). He was actually very creative and productive last season after Purdue got DESTROYED by injuries.

I would realistically suggest a B- or B (again relative to your original rankings).

I agree to the dumbing down the ranking for Coord. Maybe have a breakdown similar to the following.

B: 5
B-: 15
C+:20
C: 35
C-:20
D+:15
D: 5
D-: 5

I would suggest all of the D rankings be for NON-BCS schools.

Last edited by boilerfan1509; 06-02-2011 at 08:41 PM.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:46 PM   #14
Rookie

UNMLobo's Arena

OVR: 5

Doug Martin is actually the New Mexico State OC. I would also drop David Reaves at UNM to a D or D-. He's a first year OC in Locksley's system that won two games in the past two years. Last year he was the QB coach.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:54 PM   #15
MVP

volstopfan14's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by boilerfan1509
I would say that Gary Nord of Purdue should be higher than a C- (relative to your original rankings). He was actually very creative and productive last season after Purdue got DESTROYED by injuries.

I would realistically suggest a B- or B (again relative to your original rankings).

I agree to the dumbing down the ranking for Coord. Maybe have a breakdown similar to the following.

B: 5
B-: 15
C+:20
C: 35
C-:20
D+:15
D: 5
D-: 5

I would suggest all of the D rankings be for NON-BCS schools.
Well, Nord was one of the coordinators that I knew little to nothing about. I will bump him up a little bit. It's never easy to accurately rate someone based on stats alone.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-02-2011, 08:56 PM   #16
MVP

volstopfan14's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNMLobo
Doug Martin is actually the New Mexico State OC. I would also drop David Reaves at UNM to a D or D-. He's a first year OC in Locksley's system that won two games in the past two years. Last year he was the QB coach.
Sorry about that. Martin as the UNM OC was a typo. I am familiar with Reaves from when he was the Tennessee QB coach. I can't stand him, but he did a good job with the QBs. I do agree he should be moved down though as this is his first year as OC.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »