Home

Personnel for 4-2-5 defense?

This is a discussion on Personnel for 4-2-5 defense? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-26-2011, 05:43 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
Personnel for 4-2-5 defense?

Ok, so I'm using a 4-2-5 defense for the first time, and I'm just wondering what kind of players I should recruit. I am fairly certain that the defense centers around speed and having hybrid linebackers/safeties, but I'm not totally sure. Can anyone give me some tips on what positions are key and how I should go about recruiting for this defense? Thanks!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-26-2011, 09:41 AM   #2
Rookie

RColemanVT's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Personnel for 4-2-5 defense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by plak89
Ok, so I'm using a 4-2-5 defense for the first time, and I'm just wondering what kind of players I should recruit. I am fairly certain that the defense centers around speed and having hybrid linebackers/safeties, but I'm not totally sure. Can anyone give me some tips on what positions are key and how I should go about recruiting for this defense? Thanks!
You are essentially correct with the SS/OLB hybrids, I like them with better coverage skills than pass rushing ability, but you could also split them with one pass rush OLB and one coverage SS.

On the line I prefer to recruit pass rushing OLB and move them to DE to get some speed on the outside, while I like my DTs big and strong to solidify the middle.

I also try to find a fast, quick FS because he will be the last line of defense on 80% or more of your plays(this is also the position I user when I run this D).
Old 06-26-2011, 01:07 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 3

The 4-2-5 Defense is becoming increasingly popular in the college game with the spread run becoming popular.

My college team played it and here's how we staffed it:

Up front:
1 SAM LB as a stand up DE (played wide side of the field - body type of 6-3 and 240 pounds)
2 Bigger Physical DT's (6-3, 290+)
1 Speed Rush DE that can also stop the run (6-2, 260)

Backers:
2 "Coverage" backers who can tackle in space

Defensive Backfield:
2 "Hybrid" safeties/OLB's that almost give the D a 4-4 look on some downs (6-2, 210)
2 True cover corners
1 Ball Hawk free safety, being able to play centerfield and chase down plays

Hope this helps!
Old 06-26-2011, 02:03 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 9

does the ncaa 4-2-5 always have just one deep safety and the other two safeties parallel?
Old 06-26-2011, 02:50 PM   #5
Pro

Special27K's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActLikeYouCrow
does the ncaa 4-2-5 always have just one deep safety and the other two safeties parallel?
Pre-Snap the FS is always the only one lined up deep, the two SS don't always line up "parallel". There are variations were one or the other might be with the LB's and one down toward the line and one where they're with the LB and another where they're both down low.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-26-2011, 03:12 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special27K
Pre-Snap the FS is always the only one lined up deep, the two SS don't always line up "parallel". There are variations were one or the other might be with the LB's and one down toward the line and one where they're with the LB and another where they're both down low.
Wrong, 90% of the time 4-2-5 is in a cover 2 looks 2 deep.

The FS lines up at C7, thats the C hole 7yards off the line. The wide side ss is lined up on the wide side of the field, 0yds off 7yds wide. The short side SS will line up at C7 on the short side. Thats vs 2wr, 2hbs and 1 te.

When playing vs 4wide set. The FS and short side SS is 12 off the slot wrs 1yd inside. The wide SS is 4 by 4 from the wide side OT.

YouTube TCU rose bowl game.
Old 06-26-2011, 03:14 PM   #7
Pro

Special27K's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyghtWork

The FS lines up at C7, thats the C hole 7yards off the line. The wide side ss is lined up on the wide side of the field, 0yds off 7yds wide. The short side SS will line up at C7 on the short side. Thats vs 2wr, 2hbs and 1 te.

When playing vs 4wide set. The FS and short side SS is 12 off the slot wrs 1yd inside. The wide SS is 4 by 4 from the wide side OT.

He said "NCAA 4-2-5"
Old 06-26-2011, 03:28 PM   #8
Rookie

WipeOut464's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyghtWork

He's talking about the game. In NCAA 12, though, you can get 2-deep looks out of the 4-2-5.

NCAA: Georgia
NFL: San Francisco
MLB: ZZZzzzzzz...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »