Home

Chess not checkers/Cleats not iceskates. The problem with weight/mass.

This is a discussion on Chess not checkers/Cleats not iceskates. The problem with weight/mass. within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-02-2011, 10:54 AM   #9
Rookie

kevj349's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: Chess not checkers/Cleats not iceskates. The problem with weight/mass.

Sorry OP read your post wrong, from lean back you meant lean from hunching to standing sprint.
Old 07-02-2011, 11:53 AM   #10
Pro

OVR: 10

Great post OP. The players run like a leaf in the wind in this gen of ea football games. Last gen(PS2), EA had great player movement for its time. NCAA 2002 was one the best imo. They captured the sense of speed while maintaining proprer footplanting.
Old 07-02-2011, 12:16 PM   #11
MVP

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevj349
Sorry OP read your post wrong, from lean back you meant lean from hunching to standing sprint.
Exactly. Leaning forward due to acceleration to a gradual upright sprint. Last generation modeled it pretty good. This generation its completely absent.

Then, once you get to that upright sprint, you shouldn't be able to switch directions so swiftly as you can in NCAA current gen. You'll notice the difference between last gen and current gen if you play them both to compare. Its very obvious.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-02-2011, 12:20 PM   #12
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceAlmighty
OP's living example: Steve Slaton

Perfect example. That one animation alone makes a huge difference in the visual aspect of the game. That particular animation has not made an appearance this genereation at all. However, the animation without the illusion of momentum added to it will still yield the incorrect results.

As I previously stated, all the devs have to do is observe the PS2 game in motion compared to the 360/PS3 game in motion and it sticks out like a sore thumb.
Old 07-02-2011, 02:44 PM   #13
Rookie

cap032's Arena

OVR: 6

Way to do your homework! Great post.
Old 07-03-2011, 02:56 AM   #14
MVP

Come on folks, dont let the thread die. Its not going to be too much longer before the devs start work on 2013 (couple weeks I'm guessing). Player momentum and specified animations should be high on the list.

They're moving in the right direction but there's a few more things they're missing. This is one of them.

Bump.
Old 07-03-2011, 04:50 AM   #15
Rookie

pendo's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsofthevalley
Come on folks, dont let the thread die. Its not going to be too much longer before the devs start work on 2013 (couple weeks I'm guessing). Player momentum and specified animations should be high on the list.

They're moving in the right direction but there's a few more things they're missing. This is one of them.

Bump.
I think it is going to be addressed next year. This is a very common complaint on almost every forum now. The running animations plus the Dline vs Oline interaction need to be fixed next year. These are the 2 biggest problems in the game now (minus the need for an entirely new engine of course). But a great OP.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-03-2011, 05:46 AM   #16
MVP

Pokes404's Arena

OVR: 10

Of all the problems with the game, this is BY FAR the most glaring. Until they get this aspect of the game right (or at least vastly improved), this series will continue to fall short of where it should be. I was encouraged by the new locomotion system last year because, even though it wasn't implemented very well, I thought it was their first step towards getting realistic player movement back into the game. But when I saw how little they improved upon it this year, it really made me wonder if they are willing to change it. I'm guessing it has something to do with them not wanting to frustrate "casual" players and little kids because their guy doesn't instantly go where they want him to go. But that's real life. Guys running at full speed simply can't make a sharp cut. You can either slow down and make a sharp cut, or you can maintain your speed and round off your turn. But you can't do both.

Back on the PS2, you had to understand angles and really know how to maneuver your player to be successful. That's why I consider this game more of an arcade style of game than a simulation. The physics of how players move is no small detail. As long as it remains this "twitchy" and unrealistic, the gameplay will always have an arcadish feel and fail to replicate the sport to the degree that it should.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »