Home

Chess not checkers/Cleats not iceskates. The problem with weight/mass.

This is a discussion on Chess not checkers/Cleats not iceskates. The problem with weight/mass. within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-02-2011, 09:58 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 0
Chess not checkers/Cleats not iceskates. The problem with weight/mass.

Good afternoon all. This will be my last big rant concerning this problem with EAs current generation football offerings. Excuse the grammar/spelling as it might not be perfect.

Here we go. I'm currently playing NCAA/Madden11 on my PS2 for my football fix. Reason being, the current generation football avatars have absolutely NO illusion of mass or weight to them. I fully understand that a full physics engine probably isn't on the horizon. The thing is, a full physics engine is not needed.

Take a trip back in time and purchase a PS2 with the most recent version of NCAA football. Take a trip back in time and purchase an xbox with both 2k4 and 2k5 football. These are where your comparisons will be best made.

Pop in NCAA11 PS2, then pop in NCAA11 (or NCAA12 demo) xbox 360. Pop in 2k4 football (original xbox), then pop in 2k5 football.

Notice in the PS2 versions how your RB hits the outside on a pitch play (or any player for that matter). Once the player gets up to speed, your change of direction is subtle. You have to lean into your turns. I even once heard a complaint that the players moved like boats last gen. If you all have ever been in a boat moving forward, when you turn its not just a complete shift 90 degrees, its a gradual roll to the left or right.

The same rings true for the human body moving at high speed in a specific direction. The turn is going to be gradual, NOT immediate.

Current gen players give off the feeling like they're on a turnstile. Change of direction is immediate. Now, there are footplant animations in the game. Dont take that for momentum, it is not. Yes the players cut, but its like they're juking on the moon or a couple inches off of the ground.

Another good comparison is 2k4 football vs 2k5 football. If you have those titles, play the 04 version then switch to the 05 version. Drastic difference. The player movement in 2k4 was a major complaint. They fixed it in one dev cycle.

Last generation also had sprint animations, which current gen oddly does not. All players are hunched over even at full speed. Check the titles I've typed about in this thread and you'll notice the lean back sprint animation is present.

Gents, what do you think the problem is? Do the devs even realize this? Last generations offerings did NOT have these problems. Why has this been a plague for going on 8 years now?

I'll be porting this over to the Madden forums also, as this problem still exists there also. Thanks
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-02-2011, 10:02 AM   #2
Rookie

kevj349's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: Chess not checkers/Cleats not iceskates. The problem with weight/mass.

You aren't supposed to lean back while sprinting, ask any track or football coach.
Old 07-02-2011, 10:08 AM   #3
Banned

No you're not supposed to lean back, you should be standing(running, I guess) almost straight up. You're only supposed to lean forward while you're accelerating. The problem with the players in this game is that they are always leaning forward, even when they're in the clear with full speed.
Old 07-02-2011, 10:16 AM   #4
MVP

bukktown's Arena

OVR: 19

For starters, let's talk about this thread title. What does it mean?
Old 07-02-2011, 10:25 AM   #5
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichFootball17
No you're not supposed to lean back, you should be standing(running, I guess) almost straight up. You're only supposed to lean forward while you're accelerating. The problem with the players in this game is that they are always leaning forward, even when they're in the clear with full speed.
Exactly. Maybe I worded it wrong. Point is, the players are always in a position like they're accelerating. There are no sprint animations present in the game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-02-2011, 10:27 AM   #6
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bukktown
For starters, let's talk about this thread title. What does it mean?
Players move as if they wear iceskates and not cleats. There's more of glide around the field feel to the game. Players dont feel like they're grounded at all. Its plagued this generation of NCAA/Madden titles.
Old 07-02-2011, 10:49 AM   #7
Rookie

BruceAlmighty's Arena

OVR: 8

OP's living example: Steve Slaton

Old 07-02-2011, 10:52 AM   #8
Rookie

usc50's Arena

OVR: 6

Great post!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »