Home

Your ideal method for progression

This is a discussion on Your ideal method for progression within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-05-2011, 11:21 PM   #17
Rookie

WipeOut464's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: Your ideal method for progression

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendo
The potential rating is idiotic because it does not matter how well you play, you never get any better. If i have a C potential qb, but throw for 10 000 yards 100 tds and no INT's in 1 season in madden, guess what? He is still 75 overall. Ratings should be based on performance. And i don't just mean stats. You can have a great game as a 3-4 DE and not record a single tackle or sack. The game should reward players for being dominant. For instance, how about a system similar to fifa (based on a rating out of 10, based on how effective you are) or one similar to NBA **11 (graded rating). If you have a NT who takes a double team all game, he is doing his job and that is an A rated game. If you MUST put restrictions on players ratings, have a system similar to Fifa. They have player types such as 'slow developer', 'late bloomer', elite etc. Even if you have the slow developer, if he is lights out for 1 season, he will progress more than the Elite guy who has an average season.
Nope. Progression based primarily on performance is a bust. Look at Colt Brennan. The guy put up a billion yards and touchdowns. In your game he'd be a 99 (as would most system QBs) when in reality his actual physical attributes (translated into stats) are much lower.

A hidden potential rating - one that has a real effect - is the way to go. That way you get 3* sleepers turning into your Patrick Willis-es. I'd just like to see game time make a difference. That way scrubs that get some 4th quarter or backup action would actually progress faster and more realistically.

NCAA: Georgia
NFL: San Francisco
MLB: ZZZzzzzzz...

Old 07-05-2011, 11:40 PM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 0

I would like one based both on performance and potential. I never liked Madden's potential "cap", especially in a college football format. How many players hit a complete ceiling while in college?

Regression should only come in physical attributes from injury. Mostly, the player's weight and physical attributes should increase as he goes through years.

Maybe, having a hidden potential rating that is an indicator of possible progression. The highest Potential rating should mostly only be given to players with better physical tools or a few players that are really good at other things. The highest potential players should be able to increase upwards of 6 or 7 points if they have a great season, although they may be very raw. A middle potential player is usually more refined, and undergoes steady progression, while a low potential player usually isn't the greatest and undergoes minor progression in skill categories. Doing this can add depth into recruiting with safer players, raw players, and hidden gems and busts.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:48 PM   #19
Sic 'em Bears!

BaylorBearBryant's Arena

OVR: 10
My ideal method for progression is one that works.

Baylor Bears - Texans - Astros - Rockets - Avalanche

Follow me on Twitch: twitch.tv/osovideo
Old 07-06-2011, 09:38 AM   #20
Banned

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89OneHanded
I see people on here going back and forth about the potential stat. The people that are against potential I agree with, but you're looking at it the wrong way. I think there should be a potential rating, but EA did it the wrong way on Madden. They made it a be-all end-all ceiling for players, but that should not be the case, because this is something you cannot quantify. Potential needs to be able to change. This is the issue I have with it, that it is fixed and no matter what you do with that player, they will never go above the fixed potential. The problem with doing it that way is because this is a video game and the user should have ultimate control.
If you want ultimate control, then make all attributes, including potential, editable at any time, including franchise. Then you can do whatever you want. But everybody has a potential. We all have speed, agility, strength, potentials that we can never exceed. It's just realistic to have potential limits.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:24 AM   #21
Rookie

cap032's Arena

OVR: 6

What I would like to see is user controlled progression. I would like for the game to generate x number of points for each player and the user to have the ability to decide where to spend those points each season. Or, the game itself could spend the points on areas you pre determine before each season starts.(That way it would be as if the player had been working out all year focusing the workouts on the areas you chose) If you had a qb with avg arm strength and low awareness, you could choose to focus on those areas as opposed to points being pre determined that might boost areas he doesnt need a boost in such as brk tackle, speed, bcv, etc.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-06-2011, 10:37 AM   #22
Rookie

hkwforAUTigers's Arena

OVR: 1

The best progression system would include a rating that impacts how quickly or slowly a recruit progresses. You would also have to tie this in with:

Progression (coaching + performance + injuries)

Don't have a progression that limits how good a player can become, just one that impacts how fast they can become better. This would work better than the random assigning used now or the A B or C limit in Madden.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:35 PM   #23
Rookie

pendo's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by WipeOut464
Nope. Progression based primarily on performance is a bust. Look at Colt Brennan. The guy put up a billion yards and touchdowns. In your game he'd be a 99 (as would most system QBs) when in reality his actual physical attributes (translated into stats) are much lower.

A hidden potential rating - one that has a real effect - is the way to go. That way you get 3* sleepers turning into your Patrick Willis-es. I'd just like to see game time make a difference. That way scrubs that get some 4th quarter or backup action would actually progress faster and more realistically.
I'm not saying that no caps should exists, but obviously there are countless examples where players who shouldn't be amazing, are. unfortunately in a video game there is no stat for 'work ethic' or 'heart'. Adding player personalities to the game would be a great addition, but the NFL would never sign off on it.

The caps that should exist should be on speed, thp etc. Things you can't TEACH. You can make an inaccurate qb accurate but you can't make me throw the ball as hard as Peyton Manning. Sam Shields is a perfect example of this. He was not developed properly in college but had elite physical gifts. Now in the Pros he is developed properly and becomes something special. In the game, despite his "physical gifts' he would still be rated as D potential because once set, it's set. His potential to learn how to play like a corner (instincts, angles etc) is unlimited. His speed, general athleticism etc, isn't.

The thing I hate about it is, that player NEVER gets better. Once you know the potential of a player isn't A you cut him. So i guess i agree with you that it should be hidden.

I guess it peeves me that there is no emphasis on developing players in franchise mode. If he has D potential, he is cut, despite his 4.2 forty and 40 inch vertical.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:28 PM   #24
Banned

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap032
What I would like to see is user controlled progression. I would like for the game to generate x number of points for each player and the user to have the ability to decide where to spend those points each season. Or, the game itself could spend the points on areas you pre determine before each season starts.(That way it would be as if the player had been working out all year focusing the workouts on the areas you chose) If you had a qb with avg arm strength and low awareness, you could choose to focus on those areas as opposed to points being pre determined that might boost areas he doesnt need a boost in such as brk tackle, speed, bcv, etc.
I don't want anything that makes the game more arcade and goes away from realism.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »